Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Universities reputation around the globe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Universities reputation around the globe?

Recently I have just been admitted to a few universities (McGill University, Queen's University, University of Waterloo). And I am very curious about those schools reputation around the world, especially in the USA. Can any TG players a feed back if you dont live in Canada???

Ed

[cross][conduct]
    Remember: "Eddie Chiang is always cooler than the other side of your pillow."

Re: Canadian Universities reputation around the globe?

McGill's got a great reputation... I used to work w/ two guys from McGill and they were wikid smaht.

Comment

The only Canadian University I've ever heard of is University of British Columbia, and I live right near the border. Of course, I'm also an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
        McGill's got a great reputation... I used to work w/ two guys from McGill and they were wikid smaht.
        That's an icredible good thing to hear Whiskey because McGill is the one I will be going to this fall for Computer Engineering (although the only things i know about hardwares are from Tom's Hardwares). When I ask some of my friends in the USA, they dont know anything about Canadian Universities other than U of Toronto (due to the city's name). I hope in the future there is a good chance that I can snatch a job in the USA with my McGill degree

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

yeah - both guys I was with were recruited out of their masters computer eng. program and were here on H1B's

Comment

yeah - both guys I was with were recruited out of their masters computer eng. program and were here on H1B's
            Sorry i dont know what is H1B's, but can you briefly tell me what kind of work are they doing and what kind of salary are they paid? Thanks a bunch whiskey

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

it's a type of US visa... sponsored by a corporation to do work. they're working for a company that makes DSP's... dunno how much they're making, but if i had to guess? mmmm... mid 70's maybe?? (with MSEE in Boston area)

Comment

Alls i know about canadian schools is there drinking age is lower then the US...And the professors are really anti walmart
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

There are universities outside the US?! :p

I've heard of McGill from my teammates, one Canadian and one currently in the Detroit area. It's supposed to be a good engineering school, so should be a good choice for CompSci.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. It's good to know the school that I am going to a school that is at least somewhat known in USA despite it's #1 in canada (and 24th in the world, even higher ranked than U of Texas at Austin (25th))

it's a type of US visa... sponsored by a corporation to do work. they're working for a company that makes DSP's... dunno how much they're making, but if i had to guess? mmmm... mid 70's maybe?? (with MSEE in Boston area)

Sorry to ask again Whiskey , what is DSP and by mid 70s do you mean 70,000 a year or 7000 a month?

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

Digital Signal Processor

$70,000

Comment

I'm almost usre he means 70k/year.
                        As for McGill's world wide reputation, it's a mid to high level engeneering and medical research school in ontario. It's definatly up there with resepct, but it's not MIT. The best known in it's field is waterloo, which actually surpasses UofT in recodnition, but only within the theoritical math field. Waterloo engeneer's and queen's engeneer's get jobs where ever they want.
                        At McGill, doing comp sci, you'll probably want to do a masters either in the states, or at waterloo, (or do a masters at UofT if you can cuz you'll have a blast).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University

McGill is consistently in the top ranks of Canadian universities and is among the best universities worldwide. It tied for first (with the University of Toronto) in Maclean's "2005 Canadian University Rankings" of medical/doctoral universities
                        Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by ed_chiang11
                          what is DSP
                          Save this post... you'll be laughing at yourself and wishing you never knew in about 3 years :icon_lol:

I've heard of McGill, but only in passing. Also heard of Waterloo because I used to hang out on IRC with a guy that went there.
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla
                            I'm almost usre he means 70k/year.
                            As for McGill's world wide reputation, it's a mid to high level engeneering and medical research school in ontario. It's definatly up there with resepct, but it's not MIT. The best known in it's field is waterloo, which actually surpasses UofT in recodnition, but only within the theoritical math field. Waterloo engeneer's and queen's engeneer's get jobs where ever they want.
                            At McGill, doing comp sci, you'll probably want to do a masters either in the states, or at waterloo, (or do a masters at UofT if you can cuz you'll have a blast).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University
                            Thanks Darkilla, McGill is in Quebec.....Ya i have been accepted by Waterloo's Computer science for $1000, but I really prefer McGill because Waterloo is only a comprehensive university and it's quite new. (Mind you small library), and I prefer McGill over Queens offer for because McGill has a high number of Internation students (know the world!).

Ya perry... Im pretty ashamed that I dont know DSP even though I am going into computer engineering this fall.

*QUesiton for Darkilla: Are you sayiong it's easier to get a job with Waterloo's Bachelor in Computer Engineering than a Bachelor Degree in McGill's Computer Engineering?

Ed (THANKS GUYS)

Ed

[cross][conduct]

Comment

Speaking as a canadian, with friends at Mcgill right now, you'll be doing yourself a favour by going there. The only place that IS better than Mcgill is Waterloo... You're not going to have a problem getting a job with a degree from Mcgill, but a degree from waterloo is just that much snazzier.

I'm planning on respeccing to Irritation pretty soon. Granted, I'll lose the burst DPS from Pissing People Off Outright, but I'll get DoT's and higher damage through AoE's.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X