Recommend a decent nix web host!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a decent nix web host!!

I've had it with GoDaddy and UplinkEarth. Someone please throw me some recommended web hosting companies that actually support what they say they do. Neither one would let me upload kses.php or get mysql remote access.

Video Game Consultant
    Consulting since 1998 ... Gaming since 1978

Re: Recommend a decent nix web host!!

umm forgive me for not being wiser, but what is involved in "mysql remote access?"

Not sure if my host lets me do that, but you may want to give icdsoft.com a look. Its inexpensive and suits my needs for messing around with php stuff. Beyond that I cant help.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
      umm forgive me for not being wiser, but what is involved in "mysql remote access?"
      I'm going to second this question. In all honesty, a hosting company would need to be insane to allow you to connect to their MySQL server on port 1433 from a remote location. Any hosting company that DID allow this would be a company I would avoid like the plague.

If you need the ability to manage a database and initiate SQL commands right to the engine, you could always just upload a copy of PHPMyAdmin to a directory on your server and secure it with .htaccess.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

He means accessing their MySQL databases from a source other than their hosting environment. That is to say, you can't make a DB with them and connect to it via a client on your PC, or from PHP scripts on another website.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
          He means accessing their MySQL databases from a source other than their hosting environment. That is to say, you can't make a DB with them and connect to it via a client on your PC, or from PHP scripts on another website.
          That's what I'm guessing, but I wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. Either way, allowing remote 1433 access isn't very wise for a hosting company to do.

Comment

www.dreamhost.com they offer insane deals, not the best interface though.

Can usually get deals for like 9$ for the first year.

Comment

By remote access I was meant letting me connect using MySqlAdmin or QueryBrowser.
              I think I'm going with mav-hosting.com. I like the idea of paying someone who supports the gaming community. :D
              Video Game Consultant

Comment

Originally posted by SteelValor
                By remote access I was meant letting me connect using MySqlAdmin or QueryBrowser.
                I think I'm going with mav-hosting.com. I like the idea of paying someone who supports the gaming community. :D
                GoDaddy has a version of MySQLAdmin already (accessible from your hosting control panel).
                [volun2]
                NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

That's phpMyAdmin, which is hella frustrating when you're trying to drop 107 tables and have to do it one by one, because you cant dump the whole schema. On top of that they don't even offer .htaccess support which they claim to do. They told me that disallowing outside hosts from hotlinking to my site was "third party support". lmfao!!! I've seen nothing more that bait and switch from them. To bad, their commercials were pretty good.
                  Video Game Consultant

Comment

rackhost.net

I've had multiple accounts with them for years. Prices I can afford, and they meet every need you've stated.

Most importantly, their support more than satisfies me. I'll leave you to their site to educate yourself. If you have questions, send them to them. Some of the things they've done for me in the past (including the remote MySQL access, I think) required that I request it via Support, but they seem to do their best to be accomodating given their security needs.

Yeah, I've had my problems with them over the years, but that hardly makes them unique. My overall experience has been.. .. recommendation-worthy.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      In all honesty, a hosting company would need to be insane to allow you to connect to their MySQL server on port 1433 from a remote location.
                      With all due respect, sir (i hear that phrase in the movies all the time, FINALLY get to use it) - mysql is using TCP/3306. Port 1433/1434 is used by Microsoft SQL Server and some nasty worms if my sources are correct :)
                      former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf
                        With all due respect, sir (i hear that phrase in the movies all the time, FINALLY get to use it) - mysql is using TCP/3306. Port 1433/1434 is used by Microsoft SQL Server and some nasty worms if my sources are correct :)
                        LOL.. Good point! I've been doing so much Microsoft SQL stuff lately for a client I thought database and instantly went to port 1433. You are absolutely correct, 3306 is MySQL land.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X