Converting WMV to XviD AVI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting WMV to XviD AVI

I have made a sort guide on converting WMV to AVI files, because AVI is a much nicer format to work with and much for cross-platform. Enjoy :)

Required software

Note: Download links may not be up to date or broken, a search on Google should get you what you want if they are broken.

mencoder (comes with mplayer)
    VirtualDub
    AutoGK

Step 1

First we want to get the audio and video from the AVI.

1. Launch the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and cd to wherever you have put mencoder (Eg. cd C:\Program Files\mplayer).
    2. Put your WMV file into the directory
    3. Put this into your command prompt, replacing where necessary
    mencoder [b]filename[/n].wmv -o filename.avi -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr -lameopts br=320
    This will put an avi file of your video your mplayer directory.

Step 2

Now we want to fully decompress it, so open it up in VirtualDub. Go Video -> Frame Rates and in the bit that says 'Convert to fps:', put in 30. Now go File -> Save as AVI -> filename-uncompressed.avi. It will take a qhile to encode it.

Step 3

Finally, we want to compress it into Xvid. Fire up AutoGK. In the input file box, choose filename-uncompressed.avi, in the output box you can put whatever you want. Set target quality to 100% (or anything you want, doesn't really matter). In advanced settings, put fixed width and choose the width of your video (or the nearest to it), and in the audio section select VBR 320kbps. Now click Add Job and Start. Just wait for it to encode it and you're done. :)
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: Converting WMV to XviD AVI

thanks, now when i get a tad bored I will try this out :)

Owner -
    Owner -
    Staff -

Comment

Lol :p

I have always hated WMV, it is just a lame format that only really works properly in Windows Media Player. I have taken to converting all my videos to XviD AVI :)
      |TG| Lorian

Comment

Only video files I don't like are RM and MKV.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Practically nobody uses RealPlayer anymore, fortunately. But I have no idea what MKV is...
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

^^^^^You don't want to know. It is this format for h.264 that some fansubbers use. I hate it so much since there isn't anything I can do with it. The few converters I have found cost money that I am not willing to spend. Thankfully most of the digisubs out there are in Divx or Xvid.
            RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
            TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
            "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
            "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
              ^^^^^You don't want to know. It is this format for h.264 that some fansubbers use. I hate it so much since there isn't anything I can do with it. The few converters I have found cost money that I am not willing to spend. Thankfully most of the digisubs out there are in Divx or Xvid.
              Im not 100% on this, but videolan can play just about anything, so you may want to give it a try for those MKV files.
              Steam Community: | |

Comment

mplay can play pretty much anything as well, and if it can play it you can probably decode it to avi using mencoder. It took me a while to find mencoder, before that the only stuff I could find wasn't free
                |TG| Lorian

Comment

vlc player rocks, but winamp plays wmvs pretty well, I don't even use windows media, as it crashes like crazy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X