Demolition of the Jamestown Bridge in Rhode Island

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demolition of the Jamestown Bridge in Rhode Island

If you've ever been to Rhode Island and gone over to Newport. It's quite likely you've driven over either the old or the new Jamestown Bridge. Several years ago the old bridge was replaced by a nice sleek concrete bridge and the old iron monster has been sitting there ever since, waiting to be demolished.

Today at 11:00 Eastern the main trestle portion of the bridge was demolished. This was an 1100 foot span of iron and cement taken down in a controlled explosion.

I managed to get some pretty good video as well as some excellent still images with my digital SLR. I'm still working on resizing the still images, but here's the video for your viewing pleasure!

Link: Widescreen version of the demolition of the Jamestown Bridge

I'll post up the still images as soon as i've got them resized!
    Last edited by Apophis; 04-19-2006, 11:17 PM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: Demolition of the Jamestown Bridge in Rhode Island

Wow!
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Comment

Here is a link to the still images I took. This was from over 2.5 miles away from the actual bridge itself.

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~apophis/pics/Jamestown/

Comment

for those w/ wmv plugin issues: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...35303618405619
        Last edited by Apophis; 04-19-2006, 11:17 PM.

Comment

W00T! Newport (throws horns)!

Nice work, Apophis.

Comment

It was quite an amazing thing to see. It surprised me when ~20 seconds after the explosion, we finally heard the sound from it. I wasn't paying attention to the noise when it happened, so I wasn't expecting it afterwards.

Comment

WOW! That is very cool. I've even been there!

Thanks!
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you for sharing.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

That was awesome!! How old was that bridge to begin with, and why was a new span built to take it's place? Out here in San Francisco, our bay bridge is adding a new span and is currently under retrofit for "the big one" as in an earthquake.

PS: Who's gonna clean that up? lol. I don't think the granola gang (EPA) would let that type of demo fly with all the debris dropping into the bay out here lol
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
                    That was awesome!! How old was that bridge to begin with, and why was a new span built to take it's place? Out here in San Francisco, our bay bridge is adding a new span and is currently under retrofit for "the big one" as in an earthquake.

PS: Who's gonna clean that up? lol. I don't think the granola gang (EPA) would let that type of demo fly with all the debris dropping into the bay out here lol
                    The original Jamestown bridge was built in 1940. It was quite narrow with only one lane in each direction. It desperately needed repair but had some major structural issues. It was just time for it go. The new bridge is 4 lanes and creates far fewer bottlenecks going from mainland Rhode Island out to Newport.

The cleanup begins on Thursday and should take a couple weeks. They actually attached large buoys to each main section of the bridge so they can be easily located. It is important to get it cleaned up as that is a relatively major shipping lane for New England.

As far as the EPA goes, oddly enough, the beach I was standing on at the URI Bay Campus is right in front of the offices of the EPA in Rhode Island. There were a ton of EPA folks out standing in front of their building on the hill just to my left watching.

Comment

Mind if i download it and add some music to it? Maybe re-upload it to myspace for my friends to see it?
                      Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                        It is important to get it cleaned up as that is a relatively major shipping lane for New England.
                        Yeah - Last time I was there, it was the backdrop for a brand new cruise ship - I think it was the 'new' largest cruise ship in the world. I can't remember it's name right now but I am pretty sure I would remember it if I saw it.. we motored right-up near it under the watchful eyes of the bridge crew.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                          The cleanup begins on Thursday and should take a couple weeks. They actually attached large buoys to each main section of the bridge so they can be easily located.
                          For approximately six to eight weeks, divers will be connecting huge sections of steel to cranes so they can be placed on barges and hauled away by tugboats. Then McNulty will have men below as well as above the water. He is in charge of the day-to-day operations until the last section of concrete drops into the ocean to form an artificial reef, and the old Jamestown Bridge can only be seen in photographs.
                          Interesting article all the way around: http://www.jamestownpress.com/news/2.../News/045.html
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

interesting that they left the deck there and just took down the superstructure

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~apophi...n/jmst0020.htm

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                              interesting that they left the deck there and just took down the superstructure

http://www.tacticalsites.com/~apophi...n/jmst0020.htm
                              They didn't.. That's the new bridge a few yards behind the old bridge you're looking at. They took town the entire center section of the bridge. Two more major demolition events over the summer to take out the bulk of the ramp sections on the east and west sides of the bridge. Them some smaller ones to clean out what is left of the footings.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X