Best "Toy" Ever: Air Hogs AeroAce!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best "Toy" Ever: Air Hogs AeroAce!!

Oh man, did you ever want an R/C-controlled airplane when you were a kid, but for whatever reason you never had one?

There's a new "toy" called the Air Hogs AeroAce, and let me tell you, it's a total blast!

It's a small, 2-channel, two engine biplane. You control left/right turns and the throttle using two joysticks. The controller is a 27 MHz radio with a range of about 300 ft. (that's plenty, any farther and you can't see the little bugger). Now there are many toys out there like this one and 99 percent of them are junk. This one has three things going for it. First, it's really tough, made out of EPP foam and practically unbreakable. Crashes are no worry. Second, it's powered by a Li-Poly battery (the same ones used in "real" R/C planes - powerful, light and long-lasting) - flight times are well over 10 minutes between charges. Lastly, it flies really, really well! I keep mine in the trunk of my car and fly it at a local ballpark on my lunch hour when there's not too much wind.

I also fly "real" R/C airplanes now that I'm a big boy. I found out about these nifty toys through the R/C grapevine. Lots of "real" R/C guys are buying these and flying the wings off of them because they are so much fun.

The best part of all? $29.99 at Target. Also available at Toys-R-Us and Wallyworld but they are $10 more at those stores for some reason. That includes everything you need to fly except 6 AA batteries for the radio, which doubles as a charger for the airplane.

Highly, highly recommended for those of us deprived as little kids. My excuse for having one is to teach my nephews how to fly...:row__572:
    [volun]

Re: Best "Toy" Ever: Air Hogs AeroAce!!

I'll have to take a look, with so much land in my deed (4 acres) and no tree's, i need something to take up that space...

Maybe get two and have dog fights.
    Oyee

Comment

Sounds fun. I've got a "real" RC sailplane on the shelf waiting for me to get up the guts to finish assembling it and flying it. I subscribe to a San Francisco area sailplane mailing list called Soarheads. Some of the guys are starting to get into helicopters.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I figured this should be bumped up next to the Hydrofoam thread...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hooray for bumps!
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Re: Best &quot;Toy&quot; Ever: Air Hogs AeroAce!!

I fly RC (badly) and when I don't want to drive to the field I toss one of these AeroAces off my back porch and have a blast. I removed the bottom wing to increase the turn radius and give it more speed. For the price the fun factor is great. Well worth the money and damned near indestructable.
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

I too have been onto the AeroAce for a while now. It is good fun! I have lost 2 now. One my fault (flew too high and lost control) and other was my bro-in-law learning how to fly (landed on roof of 3 story building).

Taking the lower wings off really increases their speed. I tune in a little down elevator to help out with the porpoising. Some people add weight but I just view adding weight as a bad thing. This thing is seriously lightweight.

Some folks are even removing the motors and gear from one and having four motors on one AeroAce!! Talk about a fast mover! Also, there are lipoly packs out there as well as brushless motors that can be made to work on these things! Holy crap talk about fast.

Before my brother went off to Iraq, we got 2 and had a blast dogfighting with each other. It really is hard to get them to hit but fortune would have mine was faster than his and I was able to catch him on a long straight leg and clip his tail. Of course with a good bit of altitude these things just catch themselves and keep on flying.

So far, I have flown mine in rainstorms, winds of 25+, and all days in between. I even fly mine at night!! Go to wal-mart and get some lure lights for fishing. They are very small and lite. I tape them to the underside to provide some identification in low light. Or.....you can run stealth and just use the motor noise to track the plane. Lots of fun with friends as you can buzz them by getting it lined up and removing power (it will descend). Then right as its about to hit them hit the throttle and scare the mess out of them! Fun stuff!

Target did have them on sale for 25$ including another non-R/c aircraft. The extra is basically a throwaway, not even worth trying. Also, Wal-mart will price match competitors so if you can find an ad for them take it in and they will honor it.

Truly this is one of the most fun toys I've had ever. Not to mention if I lose it.....just go get a new one.

GREAT THREAD AND GREAT PLANE!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

How hard are these things to fly? Could a child keep it in the air?
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

they are actually pretty simple. They climb while accelerating so to climb you hit the throttle, to descend you do nothing and it will drop. To turn you press the right stick in the direction you want to go. The big thing is to keep it out of trees and off buildings so fly in a large open area until you get used to the controls. Fly on a VERY calm day until you get used to it. The best times in the summer are early morning or in the evening.

I would say if the child can run an RC car then they should be able to get the hang of this witha bit of guidance. The tricky part is keeping your orientation when it is flying towards you versus away from you since the controls are reversed. If you are thinking about a gift for a son / daughter you may want to consider getting 2 of them so you can fly as well. Make sure they are on seperate frequencies though. I think the frequencies are labled on the retail box.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Actually, just last night I handed the controls of my AeroAce over to my nephew, who is five. He had flown it once before for a short while. This time, within seconds he had it stuck in a tree about 90' up! He was devastated!

It's my fault of course - I should have regained control more quickly and gotten it out further away from the trees before I let him try it. These little planes fly slow, but things still happen quickly in the air!

I don't regret letting him fly it - they aren't expensive and I will probably buy another one for him. As Wimp said, make sure you impart to the first time pilot that when the plane is coming toward you, the controls are reversed. That's probably the hardest thing to get. Also the plane will fly level at just 1/4 throttle in calm conditions - keep it slow. Keep the plane out in front of you in the direction the wind is coming from. Don't fly circles around yourself because it's too confusing. Keep the plane upwind - if it gets downwind you may have a hard time getting it back! Don't go higher than 100' if there's any wind at all. Winds are tricky at higher altitudes, and a thermal could come along and send this little guy out to sea!

Good luck if you decide to get one!
                    [volun]

Comment

Durn it! I stopped at WalMart on the way home to pick one up and they had a big shelf section of Air Hogs stuff with a giant hole in it where the Aero Ace should have been. :(
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

If anyone in the Atlanta area wants them there are some at the Perimeter Super Target and surrounding Wal-Marts.

They are catching on fast! Whenever I fly mine I would have a small crowd of children and adults alike all wanting to see what this little toy was that was buzzing the local park. Of course the adults flipped when I told them they're only 25-30 bucks!

Btw, the freqs are marked on the front of the boxes if you plan on getting 2 or more. I believe there are 2 different colors per frequency and 6 total airplanes. So you could potentially dogfight with up to 3 aircraft.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

I bought one of these last weekend when I was in Tucson visiting my family. The next day, my brother, step brother, step dad and uncle all went out and bought them for themselves. MMy brother and uncle both own "real" R/C planes but thought the AeroAces were a blast. They're really easy to fly. My five year old cousin flew mine around like a champ for about five minutes before he crashed it into a cholla cactus.

All of us besides my stepdad bought the biplane model. There is also a monoplane model that is supposed to look like a fighter jet which he bought for himself. Its slightly harder to fly that the biplanes but its faster and can glide quite a bit farther. I prefer the biplanes but the fighter works great as well.

Bottom line is that the things are incredibly easy to pick up and learn to fly as long as there is little to no wind and they're darn near unbreakable. I've had a great time with mine. Thanks for the reccomendation.
                          sigpic

Comment

Glad you're enjoying it buckets. Those little planes are a blast. I haven't flown mine in a while since I am trying to learn RC choppers.
                            Retired 6th DB

Comment

Ewwwww... I need one of these!

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X