Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP Trouble

Thanks in advance for reading.

For the last few months my internet (east coast verizon DSL) has been spiking my ping ridiculously high about twice a day (extremely rough estimate) at random intervals.

For a long time (half a year or more) my connection never dropped, now it does, and does it often.

This has been unbelievably frustrating because I don't know what the frick is causing it, and I have no idea how to fix it. If it doesn't get resolved soon, I guess I'll go buy the 150$ DLink to guess at fixing the problem by way of the replacement modem that verizon gave me, whose tech said was defective.

If anyone has any ideas on what the heck is going on, I'd love to hear it. Thank you.

Re: ISP Trouble

Before you buy anything, request that Verizion conducts a "strenght test". They will come over to your house for free and test to see your levels are within range required to keeep running DSL. Sometimes they movecertian nodes without warning and it directly affects your substainable connection rates. It may have nothing to do with your hardware.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by TheBigC; 04-19-2006, 11:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Same thing happened to me with Bellsouth DSL. I switched to cable and i don't have that problem anymore. All my friends who use Bellouth say they have the same problem so it's probably just a function of the connection type and not your computer.

---

Comment

You might be onto something with them moving a node without warning.

Thanks for both the replies, guys.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm still considering this thread very much 'open'.

Comment

I've been seeing intermittent dropouts east of San Francisco on Comcast. My brother tells me it's due to Comcast re-routing in preparation for the Oakland-San Francisco bridge replacement.

I leave Matt's Traceroute (mtr) running on my Linux box and when my connection drops out or starts acting flakey I check it to see where the drop-out is or if the number of hops suddenly jumped up (which happened one Saturday, as the hops just to leave the Bay Area went to about 15).
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'm in the DC area - I don't imagine it would effect me all the way up here?

Anyway, I called verizon about performing a "strength test" on the line, and they said that they couldn't do it, so they transferred me to their telco department, who could test my voice line but didn't know anything about the data portion. They also said that the tech who came out to my house once already (with no benefit in connection reliability) would have done a test on the line, so it'd be a moot point.

I'm getting a call supposedly, tomorrow, from my central office in regard to whether I can switch to a different gateway or something.

Meh. Are all ISP's this way to their customers?

Comment

If you are in the DC area, you may just have to make the change to cable. I have lived here 7 years (and counting) and the best bang for the buck is either Comcast or Cox, depending on your neighborhood.
              "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I was thinking about Speakeasy. They're horribly expensive but I use the internet enough that if it'll solve the problem...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X