Many thanks to the Supporting Members

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks to the Supporting Members

This is something I regularly say when I'm on TGNS, but it applies to the entire community, and our BF2 situation today reminds me of how grateful we should all be for our Supporting Members.

I'll leave the reader to educate himself on the details in the BF2 forum, but the bottom line is that many community members are having gameplay problems that seem to be caused by the network very near the server. In an effort to troubleshoot this more than we all already have, Apophis is presently standing up a brand new BF2 server in a completely different datacenter... different network, different geographic region, different OS.

When people ask where TG money goes when it's not required for the servers we expect to pay for every month, and they get the "it's poored back into the community and saved for future growth" answer, this is precisely the kind of thing that's referring to.

There's an old saying: Money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help fund the other stuff while you focus on happiness. (I'm sure I butchered that, but you get the point.) Money doesn't buy our happiness here, but it sure lets us worry less about being able to do what we're doing here and focus on how we're going to do it.

I realize it's just one server, and I realize we'll not have this "extra" server permanently. I realize this might not even solve the problem. I realize it's just a debug mechanism. But the fact of the matter is that it costs money to run this place, and today is a perfect example of costs we don't anticipate and ARE prepared for, and it's because our Supporting Members make it possible.

Anyway, I just think it's pretty badass that we can roll the way we roll around here, despite those costs, with each of us (SMs) incurring such low individual costs. And I just thought I'd thank you all, BF2 players or not (it'll be another title that needs the cash next time).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Many thanks to the Supporting Members

Nicely said Wyzcrak!

I was just saying something similar to a co-worker. It's great being part of a community where we have the resources to do something like this without having to worry about it.

You see so many communities that have the plea for donations on their front page and are barely making it, which contrasts big-time with TG where we each realize what we get from this community and are happy to support it any way we can, and the result of that is a very stable, financially responsible community.

A huge pat on the back to Apophis. He is always on top of stuff like this pro-actively and the responsiveness and open communication within TG is one of the primary reasons I will never leave. :)

Comment

We not only have great monetary resources from supporting members, but we also have tons of knowledgable and helpful people that make this thing run great.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyz
        Anyway, I just think it's pretty badass that we can roll the way we roll around here, despite those costs, with each of us (SMs) incurring such low individual costs.
        I totally agree. The way we roll around here is amazing considering the vast array of people, and personalities. Amazing! As for the SM contributions....It's one of the best investments I make.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Your very welcome!

Glad I can contribute.

Comment

Thanks to all of our supporting members. Thanks Wyzcrak for reminding us how each and every SM contributes to this outstanding community. AND a big thanks to all of our administrators who get things done.

Thanks Apophis for giving this fine community to us and for all of your hard work and long hours.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Cheers to all the SM's and the entire community in general!
              +rep for wyz as well
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Yes, thanks to the supporting members, without whom it would be impossible for Apophis to take the TG jet down to install a new BF2 server today. Have an extra glass of champagne in the limo on us, Apophis! ;)

I can't believe nobody called Wyzcrak on the "pooring" thing. I guess I just did. :D

Anyway, I'm glad this place works so well. Thanks again for making it happen, Apophis.

And since I'm in a song quoting mood today...

Nobody does it better
                Makes me feel sad for the rest
                Nobody does it half as good as you
                TG, you're the best
                - apologies to Carly Simon
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Ugh. I was typing quickly, and yet I went back to that sentence, knowing something wasn't right. Ugh.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Seriously, all the people here always have something to contribute. From the gamers to admins/techs its a great place to be a part of, only wish i would have found it sooner. If there is ever a problem it gets fixed, just imagine all the crap admins have to deal with that we dont even see.

great job and much appreciation
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Aww, we know the real situation at TG Tower, RI (the 40 story monstrosity that Apo's home owner association keeps buggin him about):

Apophis was taking his morning swim through piles of cash in his money vault, when his personal assistant (with a dodgy English accent) rushed in, "Master Apophis, there seems to be a problem with a Battle Field Two server at our Dallas headquarters.”

“Dang, again?”

“Seems that some of the users are having trouble connecting and playing on the server...”

“Well, call up Brin and tell him I want to cash in one of the favors he owes me...”

“Sir?”

“Tell him... I want his company to run some of that dark fiber to everyone of the Supporting Members.”

“Very well, si--”

“I want you to ask my good friend Michael to send out a new Alienware System to them too. No, make that two new systems. With the 30” LCD’s. Four each. Get Gates to see if any of his people can tell if it’s a software issue. Ask Linus too.”

“Certainly, sir.”

“Oh, and get my MiG ready, I’m flying to Omaha for a quick lunch.”

“Of course. Sir? Anything to be done with the server?”

“Yeah, have them move it to a new data center. Send out a press release. Make that four...”

"My pleasure, sir."

So you see, Wyz kind of humbled* the process down a bit, but he got the general idea across :D

*Verbing nouns weirds language.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Especially when the "nouns" are actually adjectives.

Comment

Wyz, once again you've said it better than I could. Without our Supporting Members, TG wouldn't exist. And since I'm not interested in playing anywhere else, I personally owe a lot to the SMs for helping to provide me a place to game. The thing is, I don't think I'm the only one that feels this way.

Oh, and:
                          Originally posted by Wyz's Sig
                          leejo: Ad hominem is where it's at.
                          That's classic!
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

LOL.. This thread is great.

A big thanks to all the SMs for keeping us going! Only 150,000 more SMs needed and I can think about getting that private jet! :)
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I don't know. Apophis TOWs me in the face 2 nights ago. Then last night he attempts to drop an entire barrage of arty just to kill me.

I checked to make sure my payment went through and it did. :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X