Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question for Law Enforcement Personnel!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question for Law Enforcement Personnel!

Well I have been going to school part time for a few years now and I am about to go to Penn State to finish up my last 40 credits. But now I am contemplating going into a law enforcement career. What I was wondering was did you guys/gals get a Police Science Certificate or did you get a degree in Criminal Justice? If I go for the certificate it only takes four months so if for some reason if I don't like what I am doing I can always finish up my other 40 credits and Ill have a Bachelor degree in Business Management. Thoughts?

Re: A Question for Law Enforcement Personnel!

Criminal Justice. Also check out the U.S Marshals Service.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Just a suggestion, but if your so closeto done already, why not finish, and then do what you need.
      Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Turbo... were hiring, move on down to Hurricane alley and I'll put in a word for you. ;)

Seriously... most departments don't care what kind of degree you have, as long as you have one... in most local/county/state police agencies you either need to have military experience and/or an associate degree.

I would always recommend a degree in another field then law enforcement, since 70 something percent of degree holding officer usually quit within 5 years, usually from the BS cops have to put up with, or the fact that they find something better, and with more pay, within 5 years...

I will tell you that most departments I know do pay a monthly bonus for whatever degree you hold, so the higher the degree, the more money you will be payed... again, it don't matter whats it in... now if you do go federal, then a degree in a law enforcement field does come in handy, but not as handy as speaking more then one language... that is the key.

and to go off topic, everyone with young kids should encourage there kid to learn a second language, oddly enough, it's said Chinese is the next big language to learn, since there going to be the next super power within 10 years or so. (and good for them, let them have all the baby sitting duties as the new super power,lol.)

Good luck Turbo.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I have a Associate degree in Business Administration and I have about 40 credits left to get my Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I plan on finishing the 40 credits but I am am not sure if I want to sit in an office for the rest of my life. Just having an early life crisis. :) I have a year to decide so I am sure this will run through my mind 1000 more times.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. Ummmm, Flordia! To bad my Fiance hates warm weather or I would already be living their.

Comment

I'd go for the Business Management degree. CJ degrees aren't really worth much. I mean, for Fed agencies, a degree is a degree unless they're looking for something in particular (the FBI has been wanting accountants and lawyers for quite a while), but a CJ degree doesn't make you unique and offers you little if you decide LE isn't for you.

I suppose it depends on what type of LE you're interested in. Around Dallas, a degree is a degree with the local agencies, too. CJ gives you nothing over any other degree (and you'll learn the cynical truth about criminal justice in your first few years on the job). Some other degree might give you a significant advantage if that's what an agency is looking for. The Feds are always looking for skills that will help their investigators "follow the money". All agencies are looking for bilingual officers.

Check out www.usajobs.gov and search for "investigations and inspections" jobs to see what kind of requirements the Fed agencies are looking for...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              I'd go for the Business Management degree. CJ degrees aren't really worth much. I mean, for Fed agencies, a degree is a degree unless they're looking for something in particular (the FBI has been wanting accountants and lawyers for quite a while), but a CJ degree doesn't make you unique and offers you little if you decide LE isn't for you.
              My brother got a Criminal Justice degree and has been on the force for four years now and a member of the SWAT team. One of his regrets was getting the CJ degree. Not because he didn't want to go into law enforcement, but because outside of law enforcement there isn't much else he can do. He feels "trapped" in a way.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

I went to Western Illinois University, the "#2 law enforcement school in the country." Quite a few of my friends who are in the field now say they wasted their time. They had a lot harder time than those who have veteran points, or even those who are in auxilliary units. For your case, just finish your degree, it'll always be useful if things don't work out. Goodluck.

Comment

Wow, their is a few FBI jobs that I will be qualified when I finish my Bachelor degree. Thanks, Cing.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X