Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F16 Spilt-S.......

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_06a.../186633-1.html

The pilot incorrectly climbed to 1,670 feet AGL instead of 2,500 feet before initiating the pull-down to the Split-S maneuver, according to the Air Force news release.
    can you guess what happend next? ;)

for those that are lazy and dont want to goto that site. This image (2.7mb) shows a VERY good angle of it :o

jesus!

the onboard camera is mad too!
    From Adam Webb

Re: F16 Spilt-S.......

Originally posted by Overlag
    http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_06a.../186633-1.html

can you guess what happend next? ;)

for those that are lazy and dont want to goto that site. This image (2.7mb) shows a VERY good angle of it :o

jesus!

the onboard camera is mad too!
    Pfft. And split-second reflexes get you nowhere. See Mom, I told you all those hours of Quake would pay off.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

lol indeed
      From Adam Webb

Comment

I don't believe split second reflexes had much to do with it... He probably figured out he had messed up and was trying to get the plane into a position to either save it or safely eject. He just happened to reach the point of safe eject and probably already had one hand on the D-Ring. I've seen F-16 crashes under similar AoA and position that haven't turned out so well. The one thing the people who survived have said is that you already knew you had screwed the pooch and it was time to get out before you were in a position to do so safely.

Just as a side note.. that image is amazing. Excellent detail and superb timing.
        Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Excellent points. In fact, I was joking. Having read the accounts of that incident, I'll point out that his last minute maneuvers were in the interest of the nearby crowd's safety.

Wonderful discipline under stress. Admirable. Yeah, he screwed up. But who doesn't?

In related thoughts... next time you screw up, compliment yourself. Chances are it didn't cost anyone 20 million dollars. :)

Wyzcrak
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Heh... isn't that the truth.
            Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

Comment

There was an awesome video made from this incident that was posted on the SomethingAwful forums....I'll see if I can grab it.

Comment

lol - good vid.
                Jex.

Comment

He's going to be sent home with a copy of FS2004 and told to never come back!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It just shows me that the Thunderbirds shouldn't try to be like Blue Angels....
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      It just shows me that the Thunderbirds shouldn't try to be like Blue Angels....
                      Now that was uncalled for... The Blue Angels have accidents as well.

The fact that the Thunderbirds can fly a show very similar to the Blue Angels in jets with less power shows their aerial prowess and the pilot's skill. The pilot in question here almost pulled out a Split-S in 2/3rd's the normal altitude for the show and in half the altitude a F/A-18 would even attempt it. Comparing the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels is apples and oranges. The 2 jets are so different that you can't possibly call one better than the other. The same goes with the pilots. It takes a different kind of person to fly each.

Comment

Kick ass stuff Overlag, thanks. I actually saw their show 2 weeks before-hand here in Toronto - (was on one of the Toronto Islands which meant a half dozen times they roared by directly overhead inbound at a couple hundred feet altitude, it was a great place to be for a few impressive close in fly-by's) - anyway hearing about the subsequent crash just 2 weeks latter after seeing them myself was a "whoa" moment for me.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                        ..Yeah, he screwed up. But who doesn't?..
                        Ok, I know *none* of our Military's are very good at this, but I just have to point this out. It's got to do with *learning* from your mistakes as an institution and from a systematical point of view, as opposed to simply shrugging your shoulders and saying "**** happens".

Why did the accident happen?

Because he only went to 1670 feet instead of 2500 feet.

Why did he go to 1670 instead of 2500?

Because he *always* goes to 1670 feet to do that maneuver - at his home base which is at a lower ground altitude.

My reaction is - "What!!, you mean to tell me each and every time the pilots go do an airshow, they have to memorize an entirely new set of numbers for altitudes for their maneuvers?" That's just *asking* for trouble.

Ok I guess they can't have "feet above ground" in the cockpit because when you're flying thousand mile missions the ground height changes. But an airshow is different. Surely they could put another heads up display/procedure/etc/whatever/something in there that makes it less likely for them to momentarily forget the "MSL of the week" for each maneuver.
                        Last edited by CK; 02-25-2004, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L0GiCaL1
                          The 2 jets are so different that you can't possibly call one better than the other. The same goes with the pilots. It takes a different kind of person to fly each.
                          BS. Put 'em in a jet that they've both trained on, and the Angels will have 'em breathing vapor...

I didn't mean for my original post here to be taken so seriously... I've been to Birds' shows and I've been to Angels' shows. At least a dozen of each. I've lived within 10 minutes of an air station all my life. When I lived in Tucson, the fence in my backyard actually had a sign on it that said "USAF Property" as we shared a fence with Davis Monthan AFB (gawd we had fun playing in/on all those planes as a kid!).

This is an inarguable fact: the Blue Angels are more skilled than the Thunderbirds.
                          (This statement has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I served for 9 years in the Marines.... ;) )
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I've talked to more than my fair share of pilots and seen all kinds of aircraft. For a third of my service history, I asked pilots what they shot at, who they trained with, and who won every day. You are comparing the wrong aircraft with the wrong person. I spent another third on the 9th Air Force Demostration Team. The other third was spent repairing F-16CJ's engines and airframes. You are probably looking at DM's old F-16A's against a top of the line, brand-new SuperHornet. The comparison between the A and C model F-16 is almost as much apples and oranges as comparing the F-16 and F/A-18. Avionics, engine, weapons, maneuverability, etc etc etc was GREATLY enhanced to make it the premiere multi-role fighter in the arsenal... not the F/A-18. Just because the aircraft doesn't have the power to do the same maneuvers doesn't mean the pilot isn't capable. I think the shows are very similar. The F-16's just do it closer to the mud. That is like saying just because you know how to shoot a SA-80 and I've never shot one so I don't know how to shoot anything. There is way too much assumption in what you have to say.

So much for inarguable facts...

Comment

Originally posted by L0GiCaL1
                              So much for inarguable facts...
                              Dude... I was just talking smack.... Y'know, just some good natured inter-service rivalry? :icon6:

Didn't mean to insult you personally or anything. I understand that you zoomies are a bit insecure, but come on.... :icon_wink
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X