ajaxOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ajaxOS

I found this earlier, and have thought it to be fascinating.

http://www.michaelrobertson.com/ajaxos/

Through ajax they have developed several rather impressive web-based applications. Such as...

(note: Firefox 1.5+ is required to actually use the applications)
    Word Processsing: www.ajasWrite.com
    Art: www.ajaxSketch.com
    Spreadsheets: www.ajaxXLS.com
    Music: www.ajaxTunes.com

Check it out and feel free to discuss what you think. I'd give more of my thoughts on it but I gotta run! Enjoy!!

Re: ajaxOS

Huge wow.

They need to make a graphical HTML editor as soon as possible.
    -- Shroom
    I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

www.maps.google.com

That is all ajax, its really an interesting idea. Just think if companies use Wise cleints with that techology. Give each employee a terminal of sorts with ajax OS, all data is stored on the company servers which would mean less back up time and less chance of security issues. Problems could be tracked alot easier. The only draw back i see at this time is the data connection would be the bottle neck. Especially at 9am when everyone gets to work, 200 clients booting at once....ouch

Great find
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by poe
        I found this earlier, and have thought it to be fascinating.

http://www.michaelrobertson.com/ajaxos/

Through ajax they have developed several rather impressive web-based applications. Such as...

(note: Firefox 1.5+ is required to actually use the applications)
        Word Processsing: www.ajasWrite.com
        Art: www.ajaxSketch.com
        Spreadsheets: www.ajaxXLS.com
        Music: www.ajaxTunes.com

Check it out and feel free to discuss what you think. I'd give more of my thoughts on it but I gotta run! Enjoy!!
        I find Ajax fascinating, for precisely these applications. Add in a corproate desktop like ZohoOffice, and suddenly, you have a complete office suite for free.

Ajax OS is going to be based on Linspire to start...then go from there. I find the idea of a Debian back end to a web based desktop to be intriguing. Maybe he can integrate eyeOS as well, to completely do away with bloated crap like GNOME and KDE.

John Watson talked with Robertson on the Jak Attack podcast and he touched on ajax and Linspire. Interesting stuff. Interesting guy.

There are alot of ajax stuff out there.

http://www.itredux.com/office-20/database/

That's a reasonably complete list. Alot of really cool projects.

I was thinking of going the AJAX/eyeOS route for TacticalOS, but I can't figure out how to render the applications. I think I would I need to run a seperate window manager, or tweak eyeOS, to handle things like GIMP, Open Office, etc. Unless there is a fast and dirty way of creating a Ajax based window manager.

Why would I want to do that? I've been thinking that TacticalOS is really 2 distributions: a gaming console, and a desktop distribution, rolled into one. It would be real easy to have an lightweight AJAX based desktop running for day to day use, and then when you enter "Game Mode" the server shuts the desktop off, and you have the game running on WINE/CEDEGA and interacting with the hardware via HAL.

You really don't need a desktop running while ingame-it just eats cpu cycles and ram that the game could use. There are some real tricky permissioning and technical things to work out, but that's the gist of it.

Pardon my ramble.

Ajax rocks!

Comment

I have some problems with this Ajax approach (Other than the realplayer only videos and super hype name).

Ajax is a cludge of items put together and as someone whose large scale webproject is going to be using it more and more we are already running into scaling problems.

Also these seem to be projects using Gecko's XUL technologies, which cuts out a good portion of the market. Granted I don't know a whole lot about the XUL so I do not know if it opens the can of worms that ActiveX did.

All the AjaxOffice apps have a LONG way to go before they will be an office replacement, and that is to be expected since the app has only been around for a short time.

Az
          [age-c1][command]

Comment

AJAX only overcomes one single limitation of traditional approaches to web applications. It reduces the need for complete page redraws for a users action.

That is all it does. Nothing else nothing more. All the other limitations of web based apps are still there. And there are alot of limitations, the biggest being the the stateless nature of HTTP. Or maybe the biggest is the fact the HTML form type controls are rather kludgy. Or maybe it is the fact that it you have to give up alot of the benifits of modern programming such as object orientation.

As Azreal noted it has scalability issues. Some of these can be overcome but the basic fact that you are reling on an unknown component to do allot of the work cannot. The developer just kinda hopes that the user is using a browser that will understand the JavaScript doing alot of the work. We had to drop more than a few features becuase Firefox or IE or Safari choked on the Javascript.

There is also the whole control issue. Managing a project that has complex client side scripting with server side code working on multiple platforms is difficult. Debugging becomes a real pain in the rear end.

I am not saying that AJAX won't make a difference because it already is. To claim that it can be an OS or a replacement of one is kinda silly. Browsers still don't have direct access to hard drives or other system hardware resources. They have all kinds of limitations that are only overcome with plugins. But opening up any platform is a given.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

And remember that those browser limitations exist to protect clients from servers. "Opening up" the client introduces security issues. That's fine for a closed system like a company LAN (although even there you can have malicious participants) but you don't want too much trust in machines that connect to the Internet.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X