No announcement yet.

Gas Prices: Should we all drive slower?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices: Should we all drive slower?

Hey everyone.

This makes sense to me. If you go back 25 years - What was the average speed limit? It was about 55 wasnt it? I remember when I first started driving. Gas was a 1.20 or so. Wow, now here in MN the gas price is an average of around 2.80. Not all that much different except it seems like I consume 3x as much driving 75 on the highway all the time just to keep up with traffic.

back in the 50's gas was about $.25 a gallon. Can you imagine that? But then again, cars consumed more gas too, so wouldn't it kind of average out to what we pay today? Perhaps.

Here's an interesting artical from WCCO NEWS. Something to think about. I might try it even. It's ashame the world is so rush rush these days.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_130005840.html

Bye!
    [TG-Irr]Vulcher
    sigpic

Re: Gas Prices: Should we all drive slower?

I don't think it's a matter of driving slower, but a matter of driving less. I know today for almost everyone, driving a is a must, but reducing driving any which way can have a big impact on your wallet. In CA, gas is roughly $3.21/gallon for unleaded. The article does make sense, but in my opinion it wouldn't drive gas prices back down due to lack of demand for more. If the gov't doesn't step in and prices keep skyrocketing, I think people will wake up around the $8/gallon mark and actually start using other modes of transportation. THEN that would make demand go down. Either way, we're gonna be spending more mony on it till then.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

That's a good point. But there is always cause and effect. If people stopped using their own forms of transportation and relied on others. I would think that would raise the price of a bus pass .. taxi ride etc etc .. and still would that average out to be what you would pay for your own gas if that were the case?

But then also, cause and effect again, the demand for transportation would go up, therefore companies would also have to increase their transit systems in order to accomodate demand.

It's interesting the way life works.
      [TG-Irr]Vulcher
      sigpic

Comment

To each his own.

Some people save money by driving 60 instead of 75. Others save more money getting to their destination faster. Still others value their time more than money and prefer to drive fast regardless of cost. And yet others enjoy a nice long slow ride.
        Last edited by Nikolas; 05-10-2006, 01:52 PM.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Driving slower saves alot of fuel. I drive 60 now instead of 70-75 like I did just a year ago. So far I am getting about 5 more miles per gallon because of it.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Switching to a diesel car from my begging to redline premium fuel burner and driving more slowly cut my fuel consumption down to around 1/4 of what it was. I have also discovered the peace and tranquility of the slow-driver's world. I recommend it to anyone. I used to view open highway as an opportunity to freak people out by passing at twice their speed, and now I view it as a place to enjoy the scenery. ;)

I think I'm getting old. :D

Edit: I get about 4.6-4.8 litres/100km or somewhere in the range of 50 mpg.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

yeah modern cars are are optimized to run most efficiently at around 55mph

Comment

55 is slow darm slow though lol Yeah you got a point there matt, but still I'd rather pay higher bus tix because I know the money will go into funding that will benefit the system, rather than some corporate wallet who could give a hoot. But it will surely cause some other form of transportation to go up. Just gotta bite the bullet.
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
                  Just gotta bite the bullet.
                  Yea, one way or another I guess.
                  [TG-Irr]Vulcher
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer
                    I'd rather pay higher bus tix because I know the money will go into funding that will benefit the system, rather than some corporate wallet who could give a hoot.
                    Are you familiar with Public Choice theory?

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/P...iceTheory.html

Check the other forum threads on this subject for charts showing gas prices going back to the 60's. Compensated for inflation, it's been pretty level. The recent spike is mostly from fear of loss of supply from the Middle East.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I saw someone with a Hummer 3 that had the vanity plate "MPG LOL".

Wish I had a grenade right then.....
                      The alien fails because it cannot embrace the Emperor.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitelord
                        I saw someone with a Hummer 3 that had the vanity plate "MPG LOL".

Wish I had a grenade right then.....
                        Is that any different from being envious of someone with a bigger house, or a computer with a faster CPU and a video card that emits even more heat?

Is "wasting time" playing a video game with an "energy-wasting" computer any different from driving a Hummer for the joy of it? It's not like it's my gas he's wasting.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                          Is that any different from being envious of someone with a bigger house, or a computer with a faster CPU and a video card that emits even more heat?

Is "wasting time" playing a video game with an "energy-wasting" computer any different from driving a Hummer for the joy of it? It's not like it's my gas he's wasting.
                          Halleluja, ScratchMonkey!! Preach it brotha!

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
                            Halleluja, ScratchMonkey!! Preach it brotha!
                            Seconded!
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Hell no we shouldn't drive slower. I drive a '97 Dodge Neon and that thing was made for nothing but pure speed. If I can't redline my car going 73 MPH, this isn't America! Damn hippies!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X