Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Father: A Sons Search

Hey again.

I've started tracking down my father. I want to know where my roots came from. I'm 25 so it's been a long time since he's heard my name. He's never seen me, nor have I him.

I don't have a lot of money, just a name, a 25 year old address, and I know that I'm 1/4 Lakota Indian.

Anyone have any experience tracking down a family member with this little of information without paying a load of money for someone else to do the work?

Thanks
    [TG-Irr]Vulcher
    sigpic

Re: Finding a Father: A Sons Search

Was he native american?

Comment

There are all kinds of websites that will charge like $25 to $35 to find people based on just a name and birthdate.....try googling "people search" or something like that. After a few clicks it will come up with results where you can "buy" the information on people. Maybe someone here can speak on it's validity, but it's sure a lot cheaper than paying an agency (which is what my wife did to find her mom).

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
        Was he native american?

Yes - 1/2 ... His mother Full Blooded.
        [TG-Irr]Vulcher
        sigpic

Comment

This is a bit of a long shot, but using online yellow pages you ought to able to match a phone number to the address. Call it, and uh, ask around?

It's certainly your best bet, at least, and it's free and easy. If that doesn't work, you're no worse off than when you started.

Comment

Originally posted by matt_g_geier
            Anyone have any experience tracking down a family member with this little of information without paying a load of money for someone else to do the work?
            Google is your best bet to get close enough where public records searches will pay off for you. It may take a while to sort through all of the info, but I'd be willing to bet money that you could find him for free just by dedicating some time to this...

Or, if you know anyone with access to an information database like ChoicePoint or LexisNexis, that would work well, too. Call a PI and ask 'em what they would charge for a quick records search on your info. I'd be willing to bet it's comparable to the online services and that you'd be much more pleased with the personal attention.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Got any juicy tidbits in your past that may be of interest to Oprah? ;)

I'm only half joking, really. 6 or 7 years ago, when my sister was in her purple hair and facial piercings phase, Oprah flew her to Chicago for some show on teens that do that sorta stuff against their parents wishes. Mom was in Europe on vacation so sis just got to sit in the front row and didn't actually get on stage..
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

I don't have any information or personal experience, but I'd just like to say good luck with that. I'm sure you'll find him somehow!! It'd be an awesome story, you should write a book when you do.
                |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                  Got any juicy tidbits in your past that may be of interest to Oprah? ;)
                  I have some, just not that I wish to share to the world :)

Originally posted by B.Clawhammer
                  I don't have any information or personal experience, but I'd just like to say good luck with that. I'm sure you'll find him somehow!! It'd be an awesome story, you should write a book when you do.
                  It would be an awesome story. Considering my life. Perhaps I will try to sell it? .. LOL ...
                  [TG-Irr]Vulcher
                  sigpic

Comment

Good luck with your search. I've never been brave enough to track down my biological father. Well, that and I know I couldn't stop myself from beating him into the ground.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, what do you hope to accomplish by finding your father?

I've been in your shoes, and, personally, I couldn't really answer that question to my own satisfaction. I'm very lucky in that when my mother remarried, "my father" adopted me and has been an exellent role model. I am honored to call him my father, and yet I think I'll always wonder what's going on with my biological father, just as I suspect he wonders what's going on with me.

Still, that's how the cookie crumbles. I wonder about ex-girlfriends too (especially when my wife is being a you-know-what) but the fact is that my life and their lives split paths a long time ago. I've found that when I'm thinking about him, or them, it's usually because there's something going on in my life that's causing a feeling of emptiness or pain, and it's highly unlikely that he, or they, are going to be able or willing to solve that problem for me. The source, and the solution, is much closer.

So that's why I ask. I think it's important for you to prepare yourself for the possibility that you may find your father and get absolutely nothing out of it. Maybe what you seek is already within your grasp.

Regardless, good luck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X