Spousal Defence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Defence

I grew up in the country all my life and our idea of defence was the 12 gauge in the basement. I moved to the city after i got married, and i had to leave that weapon of choice behind, so now i have a putter. Ive wanted to get my wife something she can carry with her, cuase she works late and our nieghbors are not so good.

I know there is pepper spray and mace she could carry, but what is better? And is there something else i could get her to carry thats better then those? She has been asking for something more and more lately, so i figured the great minds of TG could shed some light on this topic. And maybe the ladies of TG can responde as well, does haveing something like this make you feel more secure?

Thanks
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Spousel Defence

You can't keep a 9mm in your crib in Indiana? I bought my wife a pistol when I had to commute, and in TX you can carry a concealed loaded handgun in the car no problemo. Especially if you're a lady.

Anyway if she's serious and worried can't she apply for a concealed carry license?

Comment

Barring that, and should she feel harrassed in a situation to the point of self defense, but not of shooting someone, then I would recommend a taser.

Comment

How about one of those pepperball paintguns?
        Last edited by Nikolas; 05-16-2006, 10:24 AM.
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Krav Maga? Pepper spray is a good one I think. Tasers are a bit pricey aren't they?
          New to TG?

Comment

Re: Spousal Defense

Originally posted by USN_Squid
            Tasers are a bit pricey aren't they?
            Not unreasonably so, unless you count the price to practice. I just looked it up the other day and I think it was around $325 with a couple of spare cartridges.

If she's comfortable with guns, I'd recommend a concealed carry permit. If she's not comfortable with guns, perhaps you should ask her to take a basic gun safety class, or a women's self defense class. Almost all indoor shooting ranges offer these types of classes regularly. And a handgun in the hands of a confident woman really will make her equal to the biggest, baddest thug on the street...

If she's dead set against having anything to do with guns, then there are other self defense classes out there that are geared specifically towards women. Krav Maga is an excellent choice, as it's a no-nonsense martial art.

Pepper spray is a decent tool, but I wouldn't rely on it for self defense. It's not effective on everyone, nor is it something that will stop a determined attacker even with the expected effect from the spray.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I saw a model of pepper spray for the keychain, it looked like silvery micro-mag, the one that takes a single tripple-A battery. Flip your thumb on the keychain side to disengage the safety, press, and it shoots out a little hole on the other side. Very sneaky. "Gimmie your keys! GAH!!"
              -- Shroom
              I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

be nice if she could carry a micro uzi, most womens aim isn't that great, so pepper spray would seem like a bad option if you miss their eyes. Then she could just use the spray'n'pay method.

Comment

Originally posted by undead77
                  most womens aim isn't that great
                  What makes you say that? The women shooters I know seem to be better than the men.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                    What makes you say that? The women shooters I know seem to be better than the men.
                    Yes, in fact, most women have better hand/eye coordination than men.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My coworker has a tazer and though she hasn't had to use it yet, she takes it out everytime i give her a tough time. lol
                      |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                      [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Not me they don't. My Aim is top notch.

Comment

Get her a taser, they make some that are pretty compact and can pack a HUGE punch. My fiancee's pepper spray is on her keychain and pretty easy to use.

Though, if you don't feel that pepper spray can cut it, maybe you should relocate?

Comment

Thanks for the responces. She can shoot but i dont know if should could shoot to kill or injure. We are actually moveing back to ohio in a few weeks, and i WILL be getting my permit along with my dad, maybe i will mention it to her. Thanks for the suggestions and responces
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

The first thing to do is obviously to check the local weapons control laws in your state. Different states have different polices regarding what you can carry and where, and what sorts of licenses you need.

My weapon of choice is a sword rather than a gun--I won't bother defending this choice because its probably indefensible. But the point is when I moved to a new state, the laws changed and I could no longer carry it off my own property. So its always a good idea to read up on whatever your local weapons laws are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X