I'm Off to Europe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Off to Europe.

Well...it's official, I'll be leaving for London on the 31st of May. I've been to England in the past, so I won't be staying long, but I'm hoping to meet up with 9V, Root and Phaze for a pint or two, or three...

Leaving for France on the 3rd; my brother is piloting one of the C-130's dropping the 82nd Airborne over Normandy for the anniversary of the D-Day landings. My parents have never been abroad before, so I'll be "looking" after them until they depart on the 7th...after that....???? I figure I'm already there, so why leave? So any suggestions for France? Going to head north at some point to see some of the WW I Battlefields, but I really have no definite plans. Will probably end up in Belgium and perhaps even Switzerland at some point. Im tempted to go into the northern parts of Italy I missed on my last trip, but I'm only giving myself a month...SIX weeks tops, so I'll try to remain focused.

Definites:
    Paris (Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Etc)
    Vesailles
    Normandy
    Bayeux (Been to Hastings in the past, might as well see the tapestry.)
    Mont St Michael

Well, that's all for now, any suggestions would be helpful...any |TG| in Europe want to try to meen up for a pint...let me know.
    Dirt013

Re: I'm Off to Europe.

Have you ever seen the movie "Hostel"? If you haven't, you should watch it before you leave for your trip!
    Last edited by Apophis; 05-18-2006, 04:44 PM.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

If you drop by Switzerland, do not camp out in the cities... It will be eye openning to go hiking to the nature part. I also loved Zurich lifestyle while I stayed there.

Anyway have fun........... :row__523:

Watch "Hostel" before you leave like Apo said.

Comment

Tell them you're American. They eat that stuff up over there. Seriously they'll fall over themselves trying to be nice to you.

Comment

I had a pretty bad time in Paris when I visited.

Pretty uncomfortable neighborhood where we stayed. A short 5 minute walk to the Moulin Rouge. Had to sit in a shady alley waiting for our hotel rooms to get ready. for almost an hour. When we got in finally it was dark, and our hotel room did not have electricity. Stuck with this for two days, that unfortunately because we were so miserable, It blurred together and I cannot recall actually sleeping in there two nights, though we did.

got to SEE the Notre Dame Cathedral, but could not go inside because there were Iranian Protestors threatening to burn themselves for some reason I don't think anyone really knows.

Give yourself a day in the Louvre if you're into that sort of thing. I got two hours. By the time I got to the Mona Lisa, It was time to start walking back.

Versailles was very interesting. Very beautify stuff inside. And as you'll see all throughout Europe, the Royal Eccentricies are heavy.

The most fun I had when I went there was in London, followed by Switzerland. Granted, we only really went to the 'big touristy places'

Lots of history to be heard.

[EDIT] Oh, and keep a journal. I took lots ofpictures. But... Pictures are worth crap if you can't remember what they are.[EDIT]
          RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
            Have you ever seen the movie "Hostel"? If you haven't, you should watch it before you leave for your trip!
            Definitely! Hostel - thats the famous documentary on life in good old europe. Pretty scary how authentic it is.
            Oh and if you stop by here in Vienna let me know. We get a good price for Americans :)
            former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

If you do Switzerland, stay in Interlaken. It's large enough there should be some hostels, and it's something of an adventure sports capital. From there, you can take the train into the Alps... I recommend going to Lauterbrunnen, which is in a valley between some very large peaks. From there, you can hike to the Trummelbachfalle (glacial caves/waterfalls), go base jumping off the cliffs, or catch a cog railway to Wengen and hike the Kleine Scheidegg (which offers a great view of the Jungfrau, the highest peak in Switzerland).

I spent 3 days in Wengen and would have loved 3 years more. Wengen itself was small and expensive, and you can find a better deal just an hour or two train ride away.

Comment

Mont St Michel is really really cool. That castle in the sea/land depending on the tide, medieval, totally like... good night

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                  Have seen the movie and will hopefully find a lovely hostel where the women are beautiful and less than virtuous....BUT without all the torture, mutilation and death.

Thanks to all for your suggestions....B & bootsrtap, I definitely will be doing some hiking if i make it to Switzerland.

Originally posted by Vinzalf
                  Give yourself a day in the Louvre if you're into that sort of thing. I got two hours. By the time I got to the Mona Lisa, It was time to start walking back.

Versailles was very interesting. Very beautify stuff inside. And as you'll see all throughout Europe, the Royal Eccentricies are heavy.

[EDIT] Oh, and keep a journal. I took lots ofpictures. But... Pictures are worth crap if you can't remember what they are.[EDIT]
                  Definitely going to give myself a whole day for the Louvre; for me the enjoyment of traveling in Europe is the museums, architecture and history of the continent...

Originally posted by dawolf
                  Oh and if you stop by here in Vienna let me know. We get a good price for Americans :)
                  One thing Europe has plenty of at this time of the year is Stupid American Tourists....I'll lure some of the unsuspecting to Vienna Dawolf, if you'll split the profits w/ me.
                  Dirt013

Comment

Are we all drinking together? You'll need to drop me a PM as to where and when.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                      Are we all drinking together? You'll need to drop me a PM as to where and when.

That would be splendid, but I have yet to hear from 9V.
                      Dirt013

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                        Tell them you're American. They eat that stuff up over there. Seriously they'll fall over themselves trying to be nice to you.
                        Lol, you want him to come back alive don't you?
                        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                          Lol, you want him to come back alive don't you?
                          This'll help him survive: http://www.blogscanada.ca/blog/Categ...da%20Relations
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You won't need to say you are an American: they already know.

Had a great time all three times I've been to Paris.

Some highlights:

The Louve: Mona Lisa is what everyone goes to see, but make your way over to the Antiquities section to see Winged Victory. Can't miss her: she's at the top of the stairs. Also, pace yourself: the place is HUGE. Overwhelming even.

Musee D'Orsay was actually more pleasant, and if you go on certain days (I forget which) it is free.

Notre Dame is nice, but check out Saint Chappelle if you get a chance.

Get yourself a Gyro somewhere. Trust me. 4 Euro well spent.

Wander out to Champs-Elysee from Les Halles. Lots of architecture, gardens, and the like that way.

Things to watch out for:

Cafes tend to be overpriced. You can find little coffee shops, creperies, and street vendors that offer the same things for less.

Pay attention to Euro/$, and the fees for conversion. The rate varies daily, and the fees can be steep.

It helps to know at least some French. They are very unkind to people that do not at least TRY to speak French.

Walking>Metro>Taxi and is much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              Haha, thats classic. But I don't think being Canadian gets as much mileage with the natives as it used to.
                              Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                              Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X