Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mateo paints himself into a corner

Here's my story.

I bought an Emachines T6212 a while back-perfectly fine machine for my gaming needs.

So when I fubared my XP install last week, I thought: great time to try Ubuntu again! So, I install it, play around for a bit, then said: ok, let's reload XP.

What I failed to notice, prior to this endeavor, was that the recovery disks that eMachines has you burn are really nothing more than utilities to reinstall all the crap they load the system with: no operating system.

I have an old retail copy of XP Home, but that key is for the hardware that I donated to my Mother in Law-and since that key is in use, I can't use it. And yes, I could use one of the copies from "a friend" but that's not kosher-I basically do not have a valid XP license at this point. I don't really want to do 5-15 in a Fed just to play games, you know?

So, I'm posting from Ubuntu. Pretty nice OS, and I'm finding out what it can and cannot do. Expect to hear alot about Linux from me over the next weeks while I wait for eMachines to ship me an XP disk.

Semper Fi TG!

Mateo
    Tactical (Linux-for now) Gamer

Re: Mateo paints himself into a corner

There should be a Microsoft sticker somewhere in your documentation or on your case, otherwise your original OS was illegal...

I don't think it much matters where the media came from as long as you have a valid MS Windows key.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
      There should be a Microsoft sticker somewhere in your documentation or on your case, otherwise your original OS was illegal...
      Yeah, there is.

The problem is, when you run the "Burn Recovery Software", what the program does is back up all the OEM junk, but does not burn a copy of the install image. So when you go to reload the image from that, you can't.

Serves me right for going cheap. :icon19:

Comment

Right, so use your friends install CD and your CD Key. Perfectly legal.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Maybe Emachines can send you the disks you need?

Comment

Your friend just has to be the right version, which I guess is XP OEM or something like that.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

You realize that "friend" was a euphamism, right?

Actually, I have a friend that has a bunch of XP editions, but they need to see what they have, and what keys are where before he can give me anything.

The going rate on New Egg for OEM XP Home SP2 seems to be $85 + shipping. Be a couple of weeks before I can afford that.

I'll wait and see what emachines has to say.

Comment

That is XP Home you had the license for right? Bummer I've got a billion disks, but they are all Pro.. If you've got pro all I need is that part number (maybe it is on the sticker) and I'd send you one gratis if I've got a compatible version. I don't even need it back.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you what the parts number is, but it's definitely Home Edition.

On the + side, the more time I spend using Ubuntu, the more TacticalOS goes from vaporware to something that will actually get released.

Silver lining there.

Comment

Just as a matter of interest, have you tried Cedega. Its a commercial port of wine that includes a lot of DX stuff, for gaming on Linux.

List of supported games.
                    Do or do not, there is no try....
                    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie
                      Just as a matter of interest, have you tried Cedega. Its a commercial port of wine that includes a lot of DX stuff, for gaming on Linux.

List of supported games.
                      I am running Cedega right now (I've had a subscription for about a year).

Here's what I can say, advance of an actual review (which is coming):

It runs the games it runs better than windows.

Comment

Yeah, if you are using a pre-emptive kernel, thats not really surprising. Linux is just simply a lot more efficient that windows from an architectural point of view. I had similar results with it in the past. Sadly, some things (Eve) are not compatible, so I still have to keep a windows install around.

Way back in the day, I used to get almost 25% better network latency using the UT Linux port on 3DFX than windows running on the same dual boot hardware.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie
                          Yeah, if you are using a pre-emptive kernel, thats not really surprising. Linux is just simply a lot more efficient that windows from an architectural point of view. I had similar results with it in the past. Sadly, some things (Eve) are not compatible, so I still have to keep a windows install around.

Way back in the day, I used to get almost 25% better network latency using the UT Linux port on 3DFX than windows running on the same dual boot hardware.
                          EVE is fixed, according to the EVE forums. There were a bunch of guys in the Transgamer.org forum that linked to the posts. I'll dig them up.

I'm not running preemptive-stock Ubuntu Dapper kernel (no CK patch-yet). World of Warcraft gets a +20-30 fps boost depending on what is happening ingame, and latency is very low.

I'm adding on game at a time, seeing what works, what does not. Next up: BF2. Supposedly, Punkbuster is the sticking issue, and with the latest patch, and a manual PB update, rumor has it that you can join a PB server without too many issues.

Comment

Not sure if this applies to you but on my kids emachine the OS is on a secondary partition on the HD. First POST screen that comes up it show "press F11 for recovery" or something along those lines. Might be wortha shot.
                            |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                            I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Originally posted by avenging llama
                              Not sure if this applies to you but on my kids emachine the OS is on a secondary partition on the HD. First POST screen that comes up it show "press F11 for recovery" or something along those lines. Might be wortha shot.
                              Actually, that may be worth a shot, Mateo. Format the boot partition to NTFS and it may well let you do the recovery. I did something like this when I put Xandros on my laptop (I deliberately kept the XP recovery partition intact, just in case).
                              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X