some serious gourmet ****

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some serious gourmet ****

JULES: Goddamn Jimmie, this is some serious gourmet ****. Me an' Vincent woulda been satisfied with freeze-dried Tasters Choice. You spring this gourmet ****in' **** on us. What flavor is this?

JIMMIE: Knock it off, Julie.

JULES: What?

JIMMIE: I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin, she buys ****. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage.

I'm lookin for some coffee recommendations... I make it at home, I drink it black, and I don't mind grinding it myself. Anyone have a recommendation for "some serious gourmet ****"?

Re: some serious gourmet ****

If you truly want bragging rights, brew up a pot of this **** and let us know how it goes down.

On these Indonesian islands, there's a small marsupial called the paradoxurus, a tree-dwelling animal that is part of the sibet family. Long regarded by the natives as pests, they climb among the coffee trees eating only the ripest, reddest coffee cherries. Who knows who first thought of it, or how or why, but what these animals eat they must also digest and eventually excrete. Some brazen or desparate -- or simply lazy -- local gathered the beans, which come through the digestion process fairly intact, still wrapped in layers of the cherries' mucilage. The enzymes in the animals' stomachs, though, appear to add something unique to the coffee's flavor through fermentation.
    AKA crappuccino

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
      JULES: Goddamn Jimmie, this is some serious gourmet ****. Me an' Vincent woulda been satisfied with freeze-dried Tasters Choice. You spring this gourmet ****in' **** on us. What flavor is this?

JIMMIE: Knock it off, Julie.

JULES: What?

JIMMIE: I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can stop butterin' me up. I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is. I'm the one who buys it, I know how ****in' good it is. When Bonnie goes shoppin, she buys ****. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause when I drink it, I wanna taste it. But what's on my mind at this moment isn't the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead ****** in my garage.

I'm lookin for some coffee recommendations... I make it at home, I drink it black, and I don't mind grinding it myself. Anyone have a recommendation for "some serious gourmet ****"?
      I have one of those Braun machines that grinds the beans and makes the coffee in one push of the button: very, very nice. Required purchase, I think.

Now, I find most of the Starbuck's stuff to be crap: check the beans you buy there very carefully. If you get a bunch of roasted fragments of beans (halves, quarters) take it back, because the coffee will be burnt tasting and acidic. Ok, more burnt tasting and acidic. :row__577:

When they started out, they had nothing but nicely roasted full beans, but as they have expanded and tried to keep up with demand, they have started selling a lower grade of coffee.

There are some caveats: I have gotten good bags of Yukon more often than not, and anything that is Black Apron is well worth the cost. Black Apron coffees are limited runs where Starbucks buys all the output of a single grower, and features it in their stores. Very good stuff.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, the Volcano and Double Dark blends are fantastic. Nothing but nice, shiny, dark roasted beans there, and consistently great coffee, pot after pot.

Most people swear by Jamaican Blue Mountain.

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/

I don't know. It's very good, I'm just uncertain that it actually worth the premium.

I've had Gevalia's stuff before, and it's not all that special.

http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/index.aspx

You know, if there is a local coffee roaster, check them out. They usually roast in small batches, and that is supperior to store bought.

Comment

Blue Mountain is incredible. Gevalia - not so much.

Costa Rican coffee is generally very very good too. I'd say go to a local coffeeshop and ask the proprietor for a blend that puts hair on your chest. ;)
        Beatnik

Comment

yeah, unfortunately two of the three local coffee shops are Dunkin' Donuts chain places ("yeah, gimme a medium reglah, an'a lahge iced extra-extra")... the third's also a local donut shop chain...

guess i'll try finding someone else's local coffee shop ;)

I was kinda hoping someone had a "swear-by-it" brand available at a decent quality grocery store....

Comment

seattle's best is some good ****. my favorite actually.

- -

Comment

OK - As for supermarket brands I like Cafe Bustelo. We used to use it in college to make 'motor oil', aka very strong Cuban Coffee. It comes in one of those vacuum sealed tins (and is pre-ground), but it's a great strong brew.

As for someone else's local coffee shop, Ruta Maya here in Austin has incredible coffee, and distributes all over the country. Personally I prefer their cuban mixes (growing up in Tampa you have cuban coffee in your genes), but all of their coffees are outstanding.

http://www.rutamaya.net/
              Beatnik

Comment

Man I've had all that gourmet **** but I still like Folger's best. I know, it's weird.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                  I was kinda hoping someone had a "swear-by-it" brand available at a decent quality grocery store....
                  Don't laugh, but in a pinch, several of the Folger's blends are decent. Not as good as getting the beans yourself, but still good quality. Try their Dark Roast.

Another good one is Lavazza. Again, not great, but worth a try.

Comment

Jinx!

Comment

Try some New Oreleans cajun coffee.
                      The Old Guy
                      kin3
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kin3
                        Try some New Oreleans cajun coffee.
                        Cafe Du Monde with Chicory. That's good stuff too. I've got some in my cabinet right now, actually. :)
                        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                          seattle's best is some good ****. my favorite actually.
                          Where I work, they have a cafe that servers Seattle's Best. Their best blend is Post Alley. That will wake you up for sure. :row__577:

Comment

I live in Seattle, and everyone goes to Starbucks. Go figure.

Comment

when I lived in Washington, I liked "Seattle's Best" much more than starbucks.

http://www.coffeecritic.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X