A ? about Mini DV tapes and NTSC vs. PAL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ? about Mini DV tapes and NTSC vs. PAL

I'm going to Spain in a few weeks for a whole month, and I plan on doing a documentary type production. I don't know how many tapes I am going to need to buy. I need to know, do Mini DV tapes go by NTSC or PAL or whatever else, or will any tape work with any type of camera? If so, I can just buy some in Spain if it turns out that I need more than like 6 (that's what I plan on bringing).

Ok, if it turns out that I can use ones from Spain, I need to know if they are any more expensive there, and if they are easily available.

I just bought the Canon Elura 100, btw. I think I'm gonna like it.. it shoots true widescreen!!

Re: A ? about Mini DV tapes and NTSC vs. PAL

To make a guess, I'd say it probably requires NTSC, as your bought it in the US. Don't take my word for it though, I have never used and analog video camera.

By the way, good stuff on the widescreen ;).
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I think DV is a universal format. You can use MiniDV tapes in both NTSC and PAL cameras. However, I would bring as many of your own as possible rather than relying on the fickle availability of compatible camera supplies in Europe. Just get a shielded film bag - don't send them through the x-ray at the airport.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
        I think DV is a universal format. You can use MiniDV tapes in both NTSC and PAL cameras. However, I would bring as many of your own as possible rather than relying on the fickle availability of compatible camera supplies in Europe. Just get a shielded film bag - don't send them through the x-ray at the airport.
        That's what I was thinking, too.

What's this about the x-ray machine? Will it mess up the tapes? How much is one of these shielded bags?? It won't mess up my camera, tho, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
          Just get a shielded film bag - don't send them through the x-ray at the airport.
          "X-Ray" machines won't affect camera film or magnetic media...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

They used to. When I worked in a photo lab we had to shield a lot of material for shipping. One batch of 35mm came back from Paris greyed out because they emptied it into a paper bag.

At the office we sheild all the HD and Beta tapes that fly between our offices, but only because the boss is a paranoid quasi-Luddite.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...