Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...what's the catch

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-inch-Apple-Ci...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not an avid ebayer, so I don't know all the tricks and screwy ways to sell things, so I was wondering what the catch with this one is. Why does he require people to email first (I just tried, but haven't heard back yet) and why are 30" Cinema Displays only at ~$80 with less than 2 hours to go? Don't labor too hard over it, I'm not going to bid on them, I was just curious. Any thoughts?
    sigpic

Re: So...what's the catch

I showed it to a co-worker who does eBay stuff from time to time. Obviously he doesn't know what's up with this auction, but he says he's seen similar situations in the past due to eBay accounts being hacked.

Dude hacks an account and then posts the auction, insisting people email him to manage the transaction. Dude says "if you wire me the money now, I'll give you the monitor and just cancel this auction." You send the money and never hear from dude again.

Again, who knows what's up here, but that's what my co-worker was reminded of when he saw this auction.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What Wyzcrak describes does happen quite often. I actually just put a bid in on this item.

Key to protection here is using a third party broker/escrow service.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        What Wyzcrak describes does happen quite often. I actually just put a bid in on this item.

A real one, not one suggested by the seller. :)
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis

Well, let us know how that turns out. If you really get a 30 in apple display for $100, I will be kicking myself later. If you want more than one, there are 4 of those auctions going at the same time. Just do a search for "apple display." I've always been afraid to buy things off ebay. I don't trust people...especially people on the internet. I bet you're all lying to me right now come to think of it...jerks. :)
          sigpic

Comment

The outside email address is a huge red flag. So is the price in AU$ and not GBP like the seller's previous auctions. Winning bidder was someone that just registered today.. Hacked account was what I immediately thought as well.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Yes, something deff sounds fishy, but damn would a sweet deal.

Comment

Originally posted by perry
                The outside email address is a huge red flag. So is the price in AU$ and not GBP like the seller's previous auctions. Winning bidder was someone that just registered today.. Hacked account was what I immediately thought as well.
                Yeah, everyone knows Aussies are crooks anyway. ;)

Edit: BTW, I agree Bod. I've bought a couple $10-25 items through ebay, but I don't trust on spending much more than that. For electronics, I've bought from buy.com and newegg, that's it.
                Last edited by Boot; 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM.

Comment

An e-mail reply from him, quite similar to what Wyzcrak outlined.

Subject: Re: eBay Auction

you don't have to bid and the listing is ended .. ifoyu are interested you can buy it directly from me with the buy it now price wich is 800 USD including the fees for shipping ..... let me know if you are interested asap...
                  regards,

Comment

Kind of wierd that he would put the bid at 150 on action then want to sell it to you for 800....

did you report it to ebay?
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Good Lord.

If nothing else, report his spelling and grammar.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        Kind of wierd that he would put the bid at 150 on action then want to sell it to you for 800....

did you report it to ebay?
                        Not too weird... Even if it's not a scam, it's free advertising.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I tried checking it out today. The thing sold for $150AU. Either way, totally sounds like a scam. I've used ebay for a number of things, and the last time I tried it, I've had some weird things happen. Nothing to do w/my account however, so I'm just a bit more cautious w/the people I'm dealing with on ebay.
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Apparently it didn't sell at all.. Here's another followup e-mail I just got from eBay:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
                            Important Message from eBay Loss Prevention Department
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------
                            Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 6892564776
                            Item Title - 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display

Our records show that you were a bidder on this item. We recently removed this
                            listing and have suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns
                            we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside of
                            eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for items
                            listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not covered by
                            the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud.

If you have not sent payment to the seller, we urge you to not proceed with the
                            transaction.

If you have already paid, you may wish to pursue recouping your funds. Some steps
                            you might take include:

1. Ask the seller for a refund
                            2. If you paid by check, ask your bank to stop payment
                            3. If you paid by credit card, contact your credit card company's security department
                            4. If you have made a payment by money order or wire transfer, you may contact that
                            company for further information at 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union), or at
                            1-800-926-9400 (Money Gram)
                            5. If you paid with PayPal, review the Buyer Complaint Process at:

/csg/p?http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...-buyer-outside

6. Review eligibility requirements for eBay's standard purchase protection program at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...uirements.html

There are many tips on how to protect yourself with any Internet transaction in the
                            eBay Security Center located at:

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy
                            confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay, but
                            we're here to help you protect yourself in the event it does. If you have any
                            questions, please reply directly to this email.

Regards,
                            Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodofooko
                              Well, let us know how that turns out. If you really get a 30 in apple display for $100, I will be kicking myself later. If you want more than one, there are 4 of those auctions going at the same time. Just do a search for "apple display." I've always been afraid to buy things off ebay. I don't trust people...especially people on the internet. I bet you're all lying to me right now come to think of it...jerks. :)
                              Earlier this Spring I bought a Pop Up Camper sight unseen for around $630 bucks. Had to register it and insure it to get a plate for it before I ever saw it. Everything worked out well...the camper is super and in great shape. I did talk things over with the seller by phone and by email several times before committing...For the most part I'd agree with you Bodo...can't trust many people especially on the internet...but I had a good feeling on this one.

check it out here if so inclined

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...DME:L:RTQ:US:1
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed