need spending advice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need spending advice...

OK, I just got my 10 year bonus of 1000 bucks, it's a separate check so my loving wife knows nothing about it, and as a favor to myself, I'm going to keep it that way. lol ;)

But I'm torn between a number of purchases and want my fellow gamers to guide me in the right direction, (minus giving it to you folks, lol.)

Here's the item(s) I either want or been wanting (within 1000 bucks), and my pros and cons... reply with what you think I should get.

A). Ageia PhysX card:
    http://www.ageia.com/physx/

Pros: It makes a few games look nicer, things blow up better, and it frees up processor power.
    Cons: It's new, not supported well, and really not that big of a difference IMO.

B). New graphic card with 512 RAM instead of my current Raedon 850XT w/ 256 RAM

Pros: double the graphic ram and better, newer card would be nice.
    Cons: My current card does me great, and when the new Direct X 10 cards come out i want one of those... the HD cards.

C). VBS1, I know it's just software, but been wanting it for a long time.
    http://virtualbattlespace.com/

Pros: It's hardcore, very military and I've been wanting the new DVD suite since announced.
    Cons: I have a heavy modded OFP that kicks butt, Armed Assault is around the corner, and 1000 bucks for the DVD suite. (A + B = C.)

There... I already have a kick ass system, Tracker IR4, G15 keyboard, Saitek X52, and the new Fang... so I'm set on hardware pretty much till all the new stuff is out and popular, 2 years or so.

I already have about 100 games, and play only about 10, lol, so don't need more... wish I could by time.

Oh well, or I could put it in our savings, which is what I really should do... but it's MINE! lol ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: need spending advice...

Seems like you answered your own question.

The again, you could always save up for the PS3.

Comment

Seems like you are in good shape video-wise with your current system so I'd wait until you can see a noticeable performance improvement before snagging any new hardware.

VBS1 looks cool and I know you are into hardcore, but $1K+ seems a bit much given the games coming out soon. Of course, if you get it you'd have the distinction of probably being the only TGer who has it.

You already have pretty much all of the toys the rest of us covet, so maybe let it sit and earn some interest? :)

Comment

I agree with Assassin. The X850 is still good enough today - maybe look into a comprehensive CPU & GPU upgrade in 6-12 months?
        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

oh, and was finally considering a... um... X Box 360 for driving and sport games. ;)

a PS3, never in my house. lol
          Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Boy - I know THAT delema.. I'd take a vacation. :)

We just stopped our bleeding edge purchasing for the time being, stuff like the Physx card and the X1900XTX series / equivalent-ish Nvidia stuff is nice.. but at such a premium. We (being our company) have adopted the stance that there is going to be a price-plummet in 3-6 months of the bleeding edge stuff that is going to herald the approach of some next generation stuff - mainly faster buses, storage, transport etc. So jamming a bunch of cash into tech is.. eh' probably short - lived gain.

If I picked from your list I would probably go with the X19xxXTX - I'veen be pleased with mine and if a do ANYthing personally - it would be a X1900 Crossfire board - oddly enough the video card is probably the most stable investment on your list.

Just my .02
            sigpic

Comment

I would just stash it and wait for the DX10 cards.
              Or, if you want a new monitor: http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm
              Might be cool with your TrackIR thingy.
              sigpic

Comment

How about a nice 24 inch LCD, that will never get out of style !!!!

Comment

And - spoiling the party - have you thought about having to pay taxes? So you'll be left with $600 of your nice $1k check...

Comment

We're pretty good at spend other people money, 'eh?
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm with Bodo; if you're dead set on spending it, just sock it away until the DX10 cards start coming.

Comment

save it in a hidden account lol

Comment

I'd spent it on Ale and Whores, but that's just me.

Or is it?
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Taxes were taken out, started as 1000, I got just over 800. So I get tax payer money and still have to give some back, lol.

you guys are really no help... lol

I don't need anything right now, so it's going into my secret stash till needed.

I just went on a family vacation last week, 4 days at all the Disney resorts with the wife and 2 kids... the 13 YO complaining the whole time about missing here friends, the 11 YO having to be carried, on my shoulder, sleeping with the wife while i checked out the floor, and complaining all 4 days... VACATION, no thanks.

and we can't leave the kids and our dogs alone to vacation ourselves, yet.

OUTSIDE! I work nights, and sleep during the day, it's not an easy life on the old 40 YO body.

Sure I can spend it on the family, wife, kids... but after 10 years on night shift, I feel justified in spending it on ME for a change.

(see, now I'm trying to convince myself I'm right, lol.)
                            Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Take them to DISNEY!
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed