Lingo: "Frag" instead of "Kill"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingo: "Frag" instead of "Kill"

This is just a request to all of the TG community. I have seen many a post (mine included) where we talk about "killing" this or that. I've been thinking long and hard about this and think using the term "frag/fragging" helps our image as gamers, as a community ( I feel its more appropriate ), and helps alleviate rash behaviors ( if there are any caused by such ). We play games here, and even though we opt for the most simulation and realistic experience and hold true to the Primar, I think using Frag helps detach games from reality.

I'm not forcing this on anyone, but I feel if one or two major community contributors started using Frag instead of Kill, it could really catch on.

Thoughts? Am I completely bonkers here? Is this a realistic change?
    USAR

Re: Lingo: "Frag" instead of "Kill"

Doesn't 'frag' suggest some sort of explosive kill?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

"Killmonkey" just doesn't have the right ring, does it? :row__644:

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
        This is just a request to all of the TG community. I have seen many a post (mine included) where we talk about "killing" this or that. I've been thinking long and hard about this and think using the term "frag/fragging" helps our image as gamers, as a community ( I feel its more appropriate ), and helps alleviate rash behaviors ( if there are any caused by such ). We play games here, and even though we opt for the most simulation and realistic experience and hold true to the Primar, I think using Frag helps detach games from reality.

I'm not forcing this on anyone, but I feel if one or two major community contributors started using Frag instead of Kill, it could really catch on.

Thoughts? Am I completely bonkers here? Is this a realistic change?

What sort of rash behaviors would you be alleviating? I think we are all mature/responsible individuals here and think we can keep the political correctness to a minimum. I don't see what it would do. JMHO
        sigpic

Comment

Odd request - what? You tryin' to get TG members 'hip'? Next thing ya know we'll all be l33t playahz.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          Nahh.. it's pretty much any kill anymore.

Originally posted by Mateo
          "Killmonkey" just doesn't have the right ring, does it?
          "We were holding hill fort for like ten minutes while we killmonkeyed every squad that crested the dune.."

No.. don't think so..
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
            What sort of rash behaviors would you be alleviating? I think we are all mature/responsible individuals here and think we can keep the political correctness to a minimum. I don't see what it would do. JMHO
            I think he's saying this to combat the ppl who talk about how bad games are.. like the Daily Show piece. I'm for not being politacally correct, tho.

Comment

I prefer "slaughter."
              Last edited by Nikolas; 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Trust me.. My X-gf (who doesnt hold grudges.. i promise you that) heard me say that i was going t kill someone (in a game, of course)... she called the police and they took me in because I said that... It was her word against mine. Eventually.. many months and dollars later, it was settled without going to court. I wonder if it would have changed if I had said Frag instead... because more people know what kill means, but dont know wha frag means... for all they know it's a sexual slander.

I would really try to get the community to try to start saying Frag :\ It WOULD help.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT
                  I think he's saying this to combat the ppl who talk about how bad games are..
                  This is precisely one of those reasons. Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for a slaughtering my opponent. But when I try to explain to family or friends or the fiance that I just "fragged" an opponent online it gets understood and accepted easier then if I tell them I just killed a bunch of players.
                  USAR

Comment

The funny thing is, you have not really "killed" anyone. You removed them from the game environment temporarily, but no real physical harm was done.

In a sense, our vocabulary doesn't really contend well with virtual death: we retain the vestigaes of old warlike vocabulary ("I killed you!") when that player is perfectly free to respawn and rejoin after a short period, or at the beginning of next round.

Then again, getting "reset" just doesn't have that ring to it, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by squeak
                      This is precisely one of those reasons. Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for a slaughtering my opponent. But when I try to explain to family or friends or the fiance that I just "fragged" an opponent online it gets understood and accepted easier then if I tell them I just killed a bunch of players.
                      I guess it is to each their own. If you are comfortable with using "Frag/Fragged" then go for it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                        I'm going to use 'gib' for that ;)

Comment

A "frag" is just the short name for a fragmentation grenade. "M-26 pineapple"

IIRC, the phrase has been around since at least WW1.

The term gained popularity in Vietnam (according to wiki).

I don't know why gamers have adopted it as the applicable word for in-game killing of someone, it really only applies in those "made by a nade" situations.
                          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper
                            Trust me.. My X-gf (who doesnt hold grudges.. i promise you that) heard me say that i was going t kill someone (in a game, of course)... she called the police and they took me in because I said that... It was her word against mine. Eventually.. many months and dollars later, it was settled without going to court. I wonder if it would have changed if I had said Frag instead... because more people know what kill means, but dont know wha frag means... for all they know it's a sexual slander.

I would really try to get the community to try to start saying Frag :\ It WOULD help.
                            You're joking right?

Comment

Originally posted by mateo
                              The funny thing is, you have not really "killed" anyone. You removed them from the game environment temporarily, but no real physical harm was done.

Technically you didn't actually 'shoot' the guy either. And you didn't jump in the Vodnik.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X