Car-talk Puzzler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car-talk Puzzler

I'm sure I'm not the only one that listen's to Car-Talk on NPR on weekends... anyway - thought I'd start a thread where we can post the puzzler of the week.

From 6/26 :

A buddy and I were out late one night. It was so late in fact, that when we got back to the parking lot, my car was the only one still there. At the time, I was driving an otherwise very reliable Honda Accord. As I was preparing to start the engine, I stepped on the clutch pedal and it sank to the floor. I could start the car in neutral, but there was no way to shift it with the engine running.

The fluid in the clutch master cylinder had been leaking out slowly. I'd been meaning to get it fixed, but I just didn't have any time. I'd been topping off the reservoir with a can of brake fluid that I had in the trunk every two weeks or so, and I guess I just forgot. So, I opened the trunk, while I reassured my friend that just a few ounces of fluid, a few quick pumps of the clutch pedal to remove the air in the system, and we'd be back on the road.

Well, I found my can of fluid alright, but it was bone dry. I guessed that I must have left the cap loose. Desperate, I started rummaging through the contents of my trunk. I found the usual stuff: a jack, a spare tire, a deflated football, my high-school diploma, a picture of my mother-in-law, a can of oil, some antifreeze and a jug of water.

I knew I couldn't use any of those things, especially the liquids, as I was afraid they would contaminate the fluid that hadn't yet leaked out and do damage to the other rubber parts and seals that were still okay in the clutch system.

What to do? I tried scaring the thing back into working by flashing the picture of my mother-in-law but that didn't work. Just then, I noticed that my pal was jumping from one foot to the next, kind of like what little kids do when they have to go.

I said, 'What's the problem?'

He said, 'I have to go!' He started looking for a nearby bush.

Well, rather than risk arrest, and having our wives even angrier, I directed him to an all-night burger joint across the road. I stood there, hood and mouth agape, and pondered my fate.

Ten minutes later, my friend returned with a spring in his step and something in his hand, claiming that what he was carrying would solve our problem and get us home.

What was he holding and how did it work? And, no he didn't pee into the cup.

Here's a hint: He didn't buy anything.

Re: Car-talk Puzzler

my guess: old friolator grease?

Comment

Liquid Soap?

99. A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
      100. Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
      101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.

Comment

burger grease
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Keys to another car he lifted of some guy at the burger joint?

I think old burger grease is too obvious...still thinking...
          LoyalGuard

Comment

Vegetable/animal oil will work fine as brake fluid. Just don't do it in the UK.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Guys on a car related mailing list that I've run for about 6 or 7 years (so, I trust them and their knowledge) suggested vegetable oil from the fryers because of its heat resistance. Heh, someone on the list also suggested liquid soap..
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Tartar sauce. You guys have obviously never tried the fish at those places.

Caaaah Taawk is ahwsum. I love those guys!

Comment

Money for a cab?
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                    Money for a cab?
                    oooo i like it!

(bus/train schedule?)

Comment

Fairy dust. He had a spring in his step, so I guess he was already thinking happy thoughts. We can fly, we can fly, we can fly!
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm actually going to guess liquid soap. When is the answer due?

Comment

In the Boston area, Car Talk's on our PBS radio station at 11am on Saturday - may be the same for you... (or you can get last week's show here: http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/Show/ )

The do the puzzler at the end of the show...

Comment

And the answer IS....

a drinking straw!

Comment

July 1st Puzzler: State Bragadocio

(and NO USING GOOGLE!!)

The other day I was reading a map of a certain state that I planned to visit. The map was produced by the department of transportation, copyright 1989. So I assumed that it was official, all be it dated.

On the back of the map was a list of firsts for the state. At the top of the list was this:

1) The first state to require driving on right side of the road.

The question is, what state did I intend to visit?

hints:

Among other firsts for the state was
                              - The first state with a high-speed, multi-lane highway.
                              - The first Slinky ever produced.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X