Prey: Demo Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prey: Demo Released

A game in the making for 10 years (take that Duke Nukem Forever), Prey is a first person shooter that makes all others look like simple run-and-gun arcade games that have yet to scratch the surface of the violent madness and the crazy worlds that can be developed. I've brought this to TG's attention because I've just had a wonderful gaming experience that I think everyone here deserves to try for themselves.

Head here for more information and some download links.
    http://www.prey.com/

The story: You are Tommy, an ex-army ranger whose Cherokee Indian family has lived on their reservation for all their lives and run a little bar somewhere in Oklahoma, USA. You have a grandfather and a girlfriend who are both quite more faithful to their culture than you are, being that you're the tough-ass ranger who, despite loving the girl, really wants to get away from his culture and be a man. Unlike protagonists like Gordon Freeman and "The Marine Transfer" from Doom 3, Tommy not only talks, albeit from a first person stance ONLY, but also has a very fitting personality. However you first meet him mucking around the bar, trying to tell that girl that he likes her, beating up drunks who want her to strip, trying to ignore his crazy grandfathers "I sense something coming, be prepared for what is to come" when...something really DOES come and it RIPS OFF THE ROOF OF YOUR BAR WITH A GREEN LIGHT AND SUCKS YOU ALL UP INTO THE FREAKING SKY! Great scene. You've been abducted by aliens...you'll soon be wishing they had those big heads and only wanted to do a few small medical experiments.

Graphically intense through its use of the Doom 3 Engine, Prey has some absolutely stunning visuals that are a step and a half above Doom 3 itself. From the detailed Cherokee bar where you start your journey to the freakish alien hallways of whatever-the-hell-space-craft-world-thing-you-are-on, the game conveys a unique and new feel to the genre of FPS. While many found the environments in Doom 3 to be satisfactory for what it meant to convey, it was repetative and drab and never gave you a sense of mystery like Prey has done. Characters and enemies are detailed and believable, and, unlike in Doom 3, there are other humans around (for more than a cutscene in which they spastically die...though there are quite a few of those here too)...they don't do much...but the ones I've encountered have pretty much well...lost it...with good reason...they have some very chilling screams too...

When it comes to level design, you are always "confused about what on earth (where you are NOT) is going on" in this game. This is a drastic change from the "I'm trapped in an hell infested installation" feeling that you got in Doom 3, because of the rather...strange...level design. There are two key elements to Prey's levels that have really set it apart in my eyes and quite frankly everyone else I've met who has had the pleasure of playing it. I don't want to spoil them, because they are wonderfully awe inspiring and make you just spaz and nearly vomit with delight...The levels themselves are creepy but not scary and show a great deal of thought and clever implementation of GOOD puzzles (yay!). There are corridor sections yes, but they are frequently lit well and love to tickle your imagination with their maddening alien architecture. The puzzles are basic ones, at least so far, that implore you to utilize physics and your "Cherokee" abilities to get passed certain obstacles. You also have the presence of humans here and there...again which can really be frightening...

Why do I hype on about the human presence in this game? Becaues this game knows how to pull at your heartstrings and freak you out without putting you in a dark room with zombies or ninjas or both. For example, I ran into a room and I saw this little girl running down the hall, I ran towards her and Tommy shouted for her to stop (which made it all the more convincing and urged me to save her despite the video game logic of "AI always dies unless it is mission critical"). After getting close to that vent she had ducked into I heard the horrifying scream of a little girl being torn apart and several body parts rolled out...yeah. I was not scared like in Doom, I was just horrified to the point that I felt like just stopping for a while. I still can't get that out of my head. If anyone has ever played Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube, they know the kind of horrors that await. Don't worry though...there are other horrifying things to see in this demo too...I didn't spoil it all...those poor people...jesus...

Now lets move onto the less mushy stuff; what would a first person shooter game be without weapons? Well I'm going to shock you with the amazing human arsenal in this game...your wrench. Deal with it earth-weapon junkies. You won't mind not having a M4A1 or a Ion Cannon after you pick up your first alien gun. These guns are hands-down WEIRD, and each one I've seen so far has absolutely bizarre features and are animated so fluidly you feel like you are holding something alive in your hands (especially with the...well...you'll see...I guess they ARE alive). I'm very happy the weapons for this very simple reason: they feel and act like new weapons you've never seen before. Of course, they kill aliens too...oh and the aliens have them too so don't expect a Doom 3 "whee I have a shotgun and you have bad AI", expect shootouts where you will be running for cover.

There are no effects ala "bullet time" in Prey but there is one other feature which I absolutely love. Tommy is a Cherokee Indian, so obviously that funky background means super-fun-powers-that-he-didn't-know-he-had-but-his-wise-grandfather-did do exist in this game. The one I have experienced thus far is his "spirit" ability, taught to you by your badass grandfather, which allows Tommy to have an out of body experience that can let him pass through certain obstacles and fight using his spirit energy. This ability is absolutely critical for some puzzles and is also useful in combat, though he can be hurt in spirit form (he isn't invisible...I found out) and he also leaves his physical body behind (which you can look at floating weirdly in the air where you left it) to be a pathetically easy kill for that one enemy you missed.

On AI though, Prey is very different in that it uses a system that tracks your encounters with enemies and develops their AI to be at a skill that they feel matches your ability. I had and still have my doubts about this system, but I have so far encountered enemies that feel just on my skill threshold. It would appear this system modifies their rate of fire, response time, and overall intelligence according to factors like how many of your shots hit, if you get headshots, and how much damage you take from them. This can be adjusted to a set level if it doesn't suit your fancy, and there appears to be a hard difficulty mode to boot, but so far I like it because the enemy always feels "right" to me, and I consider myself to be a good shot. Just not in CS:S...

The soundtrack is surprisingly excellent as well, with fitting music that does not resort to pointless techno loops, but rather suiting background music that makes you think "what-the-hell-really-is-going-on-here?". The people in this game are also believable, I salute the recording department because these people are REALLY screaming and are REALLY terrified out of their minds trying to save themselves from whatever the hell is going on. You believe Tommy's character, you really do want to save the girl (more than that Alyx chick who didn't mind talking endlessly to a mute), and you really are intrigued by the spiritual nature of his grandfather all because of how their characters speak.

I've played my fair share of FPS in my gaming life, enough to think I had a real understanding of just about anything that could be popped into the genre, and I thought I'd be bored and play this game like any other.

I was wrong.

Play Prey.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Prey: Demo Released

Well there is already a long thread on the prey demo release, not quite a write up like this though.

I played through the demo. The things I liked were the attempts at originality, being the 'spiritual world', how you die, the unique puzzling, the multi-plane level design, the organic world, etc. Also, the production values are off the charts. You can tell this game has been in development for a very long time. It is the opposite of a game like BF2 or GRAW that did NOT feel done when it was released. This game is rock solid, everything is well animated, well designed, and well executed. Another thing that is really cool is HOW WELL the game runs. The doom 3 engine not only looks much better than BF2, or GRAW, but it is ridiculously easy on your PC. I could play this game with everything turned up 50FPS where GRAW chokes on low. AND THE GRAPHICS LOOK MUCH BETTER! Grr.

That being said I doubt I'll buy it. The gun play is lame, the story is 'ok', multiplayer sucks. I see almost 0 replay value. It will be sort of like FEAR, you play it once, then it goes on the shelf. Only FEAR had awesome gun play.

Comment

Its fast and furious. Good fun.

Comment

I already wrote up my thoughts, but I can't see how this has taken 5 years. Its not that original. Tommy is just a typical anti-hero, with his grandfather being the typical indian grandfather. Tommy has long periods throughout the demo of silence, then you see something, and a few seconds later he'll blurt out real fast "What the hell is this place?!", then shut back up. The gunplay is nothing original. The wrench is just like the crowbar. The first gun you get is just an assault rifle with a scope. The grenades you get are just bugs that crawl in a straight line. The second gun you get is just a minigun or a freeze gun.

The whole demo is maybe 30 minutes, and it has been said by the lead designer that it's supposed to take 2 hours, and that it represents about 20% of the game. Its not a waste of time, but there are better and longer games already out.

Comment

I kind of find it hard to complain about the guns...t's a fun and very complete and unique experience...I thought that was what games were about?

And it took me about an hour and it represents <10% of the playing time because the 20% of the game figure is completely inaccurate and represents people who say "if the game has 22 levels and the number in this is 5, then this is 20% of the game. Not accurate considering how long some levels can be.

-Zephyr
          You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
          We are not a single game.
          We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
          We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

The demo was very short. Not counting the cutscenes, it was about a half hour of gaming. The weapons were somewhat interesting, but like Kark points out, they're the same old weapons with new graphics. The spirit walking was kinda cool. All of the different things that you could interact with was pretty cool, but I somehow doubt that they could keep introducing new things at the same pace as they do in the demo.

The part that really blew my mind, and almost made me sick, was the gravity walks and the gravity switches. Imagine getting into a massive firefight with bad guys coming at you from the ceiling, and from both walls! Then shooting a switch and having everyone fall down to the ceiling. The possibilities are quite interesting.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X