Tactical Recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Recipes

Now that I live in an apartment that actually has a full sized kitchen with plenty of open countertop, I have been able to get back into cooking. The other day, while making dinner, an idea popped into my head. What kind of recipes do other Tactical Gamers like? After stumbling across the resurrected Beer thread, I decided why not have a recipe thread to go along with all those frosty brews. Recipes can range from your favorite dip to Ahi Tuna to traditional apple pie. Anything that keeps me being the only one submitting recipes is fine. Here is something easy and can feed a person for a week.

Meat Loaf

1 lb. ground beef - Dont use too lean beef
    Meat from 2 Italian sausages - I like to use hot sausage but sweet sausage can be used as well.
    2 cubs bread crumbs
    1 heaping tbs. grainy mustard
    1/2 cup parsley
    1 tbl black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup milk
    3 large eggs beaten
    2 med. onions finely chopped
    A pinch of Allspice or 3 grinds of nutmeg

Mix it all together and pack into a 9"x4"x10" loaf pan. Cover the top with butter and cook in a pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes. Let stand for a 1/2 hour and enjoy.

Re: Tactical Recipes

I love fried foods. So one of my personal favorites is fried cube steak.

You will need, Cube steak(i buy 4), a bowl of flour, salt, peper, 1-2 eggs, 2 cups chicken broth, half a cup of milk.

First you wet the steaks, then salt and peper to taste. Dip into flour, completly covering. Then dip it into the egg, once again completly covering. then back into the flour.

Add coat of oil to the bottom of your pan, cook on medium heat. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes, or till you feel its done.

After removed, add 4 tbspn of flour to the pan, stir over medium heat. Add in a little more oil till the flour is completly saturated. Once its liquid and visibly cooking add in 2 cups of chicken broth. stir, then add in half a cup of milk. Add in about 1 tea spoon of salt and peper and stir on medium heat untill it thickens. Add more salt or peper to taste.

Cook whatever else ya want, mashed potatoes is ussualy a good bet. As is eggs and bicuits as a breakfast :P

Comment

Good thread. I love home cooking. Below is my favorite recipe. I make this instead of chili on the first cold week of autumn, just because I've got great associations with cajun and creole food in cold weather from always visiting New Orleans in the winter (for the Sugar Bowl, mostly). The best part of this is that it's hard to over-season it - seasoning is the name of the game with this jambalaya.

Note - this is different than most typical Jambalaya recipes in that 1) I use a roux (the flour/fat mixture at the beginning which gives it a great etoufee taste), and I don't cook the rice into the dish itself because for leftovers I cook the rice fresh in chicken broth every time. This is great with Jiffy cornbread (as long as you add 1/4 stick melted butter into the mix ;)). To make a more typical jambalaya, skip the roux, and cook the rice in the jambalaya itself.

Beatnik's Jambalaya

Makes 6-8 Servings

¼ cup bacon fat or vegetable oil
      ¼ cup all-purpose flour
      2 cups finely chopped onion
      2 cups finely chopped celery
      2 cups (total) finely chopped green/red/yellow bell peppers
      1½ cups sliced andouille smoked sausage (two big links)
      1 pound chicken, cubed
      ¾ pound shrimp, cleaned and de-tailed
      ½ pound crawfish
      1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
      ½ 10.5 oz can of tomato paste
      2 bay leaves
      1½ tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic seasoning for chicken
      1 tablespoon minced garlic
      1 or 2 small cans chicken broth or chicken stock
      6 or 12 pack Abita Amber for the cook ;)

Seasonings (about a tablespoon of each, more for the starred ones)
      *Try Me brand Tiger Sauce, Cajun Sunshine Sauce
      *Tabasco (ideally both red and green)
      *Konriko Hot-n-Spicy Creole Seasoning
      Crushed red peppers or cayenne pepper
      Ground white pepper
      Ground black pepper
      Salt to taste (~1 tsp - 1 tbsp)
      ½ teaspoon thyme

In 4-quart saucepan, warm fat or oil over medium heat. Add an equal amount of flower. Open a beer. Cook SLOWLY on medium heat for about 45 min, stirring constantly, until the mixture is the color of peanut butter or slightly darker (about 2 beers' time). Add half the onion, celery, and bell peppers. Open another beer. Cook until onions are nice and tan (about 20 min), stirring occasionally. While these are cooking, lightly brown the chicken meat in a bit of vegetable oil (make sure to season it with Meat Magic or the Konriko rub). After the onions are tan, add the chicken, sausage, and remaining celery, onion, and peppers. Continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the small can of chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, Meat Magic, garlic, and other seasonings to taste. Open another beer. Bring to a boil, then simmer at least 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp and crawfish no more than 10 minutes before serving. Serve over rice, garnish with green onions/scallions, and have tobasco and whatever Abita Beer is still left ready at the table. ;)
      Beatnik

Comment

No desserts yet?? Well...

Peanut Butter Fudge Pie

1/4 cup Karo corn syrup
        2 tablespoons brown sugar
        3 tablespoons butter or margarine
        2 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
        1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
        1/2 cup fudge sauce
        6 tablespoons Karo corn syrup
        2 quarts vanilla ( or any kind) ice cream
        1/2 cup chopped peanuts
        1 cup fudge sauce ( any kind of bottled fudge topping)

1. For crust, in a medium saucepan, place the 1/4 cup Karo, brown sugar, & butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat till mixtures boils - don't walk away from it Remove from heat.
        2. Add Rice Krispies and gently stir till combined. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 10" pie plate. Let cool.
        3. In a medium saucepan - I use the same one, combine the creamy peanut butter, the 1/2 cup of fudge sauce, & 6 tablespoons Karo. Heat & stir the mixture over low heat till it's smooth Spread the mixture on top of the cooled Rice Krispy crust. Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or till firm.
        4. Scoop ice cream into the pie. Freeze for about 4 hours or overnight.
        5. Sprinkle evenly with half the peanuts. Spread the remaining 1 cup fudge sauce over the chopped peanuts. Sprinkle the remaining peanuts. Store in freezer. Serves 8.
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Cabbage & Ground Beef

Makes a TON of servings, at least 10-12 bowls.

Depending on quanity. Add either

*1lbs (or 2lbs) of regular ground beef, not lean (takes the flavor out)
          *1 (or 2 heads) of cabbage.
          *1 white onion (optional) Gives the cabbage more flavor
          *Salt - Pre-salt the water the cabbage is in, as cabbage is a bit more bland.
          *Potatoes (completely optional, adds more to the pot, and adds many more servings

In a big stock pot, seperate and wash cabbage, fill the stock pot about halfway or just a bit over halfway, put on a low setting, put in cabbage and let it cook for a good 4-5hours on low, until cabbage is tender. Cook ground beef seperately (Some people let the ground beef cook in with the cabbage, up to you, I prefer to cook seperate.

There! My grandmother has been fixing this for years and it may seem kinda po-dunk to some people, but its very delish and a simple meal to cook. Not very expensive either.

Comment

Originally posted by Greflin
            I love fried foods. So one of my personal favorites is fried cube steak.

You will need, Cube steak(i buy 4), a bowl of flour, salt, peper, 1-2 eggs, 2 cups chicken broth, half a cup of milk.

First you wet the steaks, then salt and peper to taste. Dip into flour, completly covering. Then dip it into the egg, once again completly covering. then back into the flour.

Add coat of oil to the bottom of your pan, cook on medium heat. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes, or till you feel its done.

After removed, add 4 tbspn of flour to the pan, stir over medium heat. Add in a little more oil till the flour is completly saturated. Once its liquid and visibly cooking add in 2 cups of chicken broth. stir, then add in half a cup of milk. Add in about 1 tea spoon of salt and peper and stir on medium heat untill it thickens. Add more salt or peper to taste.

Cook whatever else ya want, mashed potatoes is ussualy a good bet. As is eggs and bicuits as a breakfast :P
            That's a Chicken Fried Steak (more or less).

You haven't lived until you've had that with Sausage Biscuits.

Comment

Mateo's Massive Heart Attack Pasta

Ok, the point of this is: fast, delicious, and really, really decadent.

Since the mount of ingredients vary by taste and amount of pasta cooked, it's hard to measure. That and I don't cook by measurement. :row__577:

What you need:
              • 1 box (1lb) cooked pasta
              • Extra virgin olive oil (just enough to coat the pasta)
              • Herbs de Provence
              • Pepper
              • Crushed Red Pepper
              • Cheese: here you can use your imagination-we are going for a combination of flavors, rather than one overriding flavor. The following work: Cheddar, Feta, Muenster, Pepper or Monterey Jack, Asiago, Gorgonzola, Provolone, Parmesan, etc. Generally grated harder cheeses work, soft cheeses, like Ricotta, do not. Pick 4 or 5 cheeses, you need about 1lb.
              • Olives, chopped. This is to taste. Just not canned. Bottled are fine, the loose ones are best, but whatever. The olives replace salt in the recipe, and give a nice flavor.

Assembly:
              • Cook the pasta.
              • Grate cheese.
              • Cut Olives.
              • In a small bowl, or measuring cup, combine olive oil, herbs de provence, crushed red pepper, black pepper. If you have a microwave, you can heat this up for about 30sec on high. If you don't, that's cool as well. The consistency should be sort of like a light pesto sauce.
              • Drain pasta, return it to the pot.
              • Add the olive oil and herbs, olives directly to the pasta. Mix thoroughly.
              • Mix in the cheese.
              • Let sit for about 2-5 minutes, until the chesse melts.

This is a very flexible pasta dish. You can add whatever you like: jalapenos, onions, peppers, sausage, you name it.

One thing my wife likes with this pasta is:

Mateo's Five Alarm Shrimp

For this you need:
              • Frozen Shrimp (I like to use Large, Blue shrimp from Trader Joes for this)
              • A really good Olive Oil
              • Chrushed Red Pepper
              • Salt (to taste)

This is really easy.
              • Defrost the shrimp, set aside.
              • Coat a frying pan or skillet with the olive oil.
              • When the pan is heated, add the shrimp.
              • Shrimp cook quite quickly, so after about 2-3 minutes, you should be ready to turn them over.
              • Add more olive oil, and add lots of crushed red pepper. When you think there is enough, add more. It should coat the shrimp, but not burn.

Serve over the above pasta, rice, on a sandwich, however you like. The key is balancing the sweetness of shrimp with the raw heat of the crushed red pepper.

Comment

P8riot's Salmon Spread

I've got a bunch of recipes that I like to do.. here is one that has been on my mind lately to do again - All the amounts are pretty much "to-taste" but here is a starting point.

Smoked Salmon
                Cream cheese
                Cocktail Sauce
                Pickle Relish
                Powdered Garlic
                beer

First of all - smoke the salmon. This is what makes the spread - regardless of the ingredients. Hickory is very pleasing with this - Mesquite and Pecan are good too.. my favorite is actually a combination of Mesquite and Pecan. I have friends that bring logs for me from Texas, Georgia and North Carolina, but the bagged stuff works as well. Ed's Wood is sold in Texas pretty much everywhere - and that tends to be real good for smoking.I use a water smoker - and smoke a 2.5 - 3 pound filet for 3 - 5 hours. I have found two variants that everyone likes -

1) Use Rootbeer instead of water in the water pan. Coat filet in EV Olive Oil and Season with Lowreys Salt and Pepper. cut a sweet onion or two and lay the 'disk' slices on the filet. In the last hour or two, knock the onion disks off into the coals, cut up another onion and throw it on the coals.
                2) Use citrus soda instead of rootbeer, coat with olive oil and season with crushed garlic. Slice Oranges, lemons, limes, pineapple (or any combination thereof). Take off citrus in the last hour or two - but DON'T put it on the coals.

Let the Salmon cool

- Cut off a half-pound chunk, or more.. - it should still be real moist
                - Blend in a few tablespoons of cream cheese
                - Mix in a Tablespoon of cocktail sauce (I prefer a spicy variety).. use more or less cocktail sauce to get the consistency how you like it - if you put in too much sauce, balance it with cream cheese.
                - 1 1/2 Table spoons of the pickle relish (sometimes I use pickled jalapeno)
                - Add garlic to-taste

Spread on your favorite crackers, baguettes, flat break... etc..! Flavor improves as the hours pass in the refrigerator.. if you can do it the day before you entertain- that would be best.
                sigpic

Comment

Ok I just noticed if you follow my directions for spices in the Jambalaya it says use a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Do NOT use that much with this recipe! ;) Just season to taste - ~1 tsp of cayenne at the very most is plenty of heat. :)

Since it's a holiday weekend, here's an easy recipe for salsa fresca, or as the gringo's say, Fresh Salsa. I stole it from Everyday Food, and it's great. A good tip to make it less chunky or less like pico de gallo is to take a third (or however much you want), put it in the blender and pulse it a few times, then pour that back over the chunks.

Salsa Fresca

6 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
                  1/2 - 1 red onion, diced
                  1 medium red bell pepper, diced
                  1 serrano or jalepeno pepper, diced
                  1 bunch cilantro (~1/2 cup), finely minced
                  1 lime, juiced
                  1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Roasted tomato and onion with chipolte variation:

Halve the roma tomatoes and slice white (not red) onion. Arrange face down on a baking sheet. Broil for 15 minutes until tomatoes slightly char and skins split. Add one canned chipolte pepper to the recipe. When tomatoes and onions cool, prepare as directed above.
                  Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
                    Ok I just noticed if you follow my directions for spices in the Jambalaya it says use a tablespoon of cayenne pepper. Do NOT use that much with this recipe! ;) Just season to taste - ~1 tsp of cayenne at the very most is plenty of heat. :)

Since it's a holiday weekend, here's an easy recipe for salsa fresca, or as the gringo's say, Fresh Salsa. I stole it from Everyday Food, and it's great. A good tip to make it less chunky or less like pico de gallo is to take a third (or however much you want), put it in the blender and pulse it a few times, then pour that back over the chunks.

Salsa Fresca

6 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
                    1/2 - 1 red onion, diced
                    1 medium red bell pepper, diced
                    1 serrano or jalepeno pepper, diced
                    1 bunch cilantro (~1/2 cup), finely minced
                    1 lime, juiced
                    1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Roasted tomato and onion with chipolte variation:

Halve the roma tomatoes and slice white (not red) onion. Arrange face down on a baking sheet. Broil for 15 minutes until tomatoes slightly char and skins split. Add one canned chipolte pepper to the recipe. When tomatoes and onions cool, prepare as directed above.
                    This looks good; i'll have to give it a try. I usually make pico de gallo with the same ingredients as above (except sometimes I use habaneros), but with 1 - 1.5 onions and all uncooked.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

**This isn't my recipe, so don't give me credit for it.**

Nick's Blue Cheese and Jalapeno Burgers

--------------Ingredients--------------
                      1 lb. Ground beef
                      3 Large jalapeños
                      4 oz. Crumbled blue cheese
                      1 Tbs. Onion powder
                      1 Tbs. Garlic powder
                      1 Tbs. Soy sauce (or Tamari)
                      1 Tsp. Salt
                      Swiss cheese slices
                      Onion buns

1. Get yourself 3 large jalapeños. Slice in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and threads. If you need some kick, leave some seeds.

2. Dice them up and throw them into a mixing bowl.

3. Purchase 1lb of ground beef. I like the fattier variety because it tastes better - say 73% Lean, 27% Fat.

4. Place into mixing bowl with jalapeños.

5. Purchase a 4 oz. package of crumbled blue cheese.

6. Pour 2 oz. to 4 oz. of blue cheese into mixing bowl depending on your preference.

7. Get the following ingredients: Onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce (or Tamari for better flavor), and salt (kosher salt for better flavor).

8. To the mixing bowl, add 1 tablespoon of onion powder, 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon of salt (or 1 tablespoon if you like it saltier).

9. Knead together well.

10. Form into 2 or 3 patties.

11. Put a slice or 3 of swiss cheese on each burger and grill.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

The Soup Nazi's® Mexican Chicken Chili

1 pound chicken breast fillets (4 fillets)
                        1 tablespoon olive oil
                        10 cups water
                        2 cups chicken stock
                        1/2 cup tomato sauce
                        1 potato, peeled & chopped
                        1 small onion, diced
                        1 cup frozen yellow corn
                        1/2 carrot, sliced
                        1 celery stalk, diced
                        1 cup canned diced tomatoes
                        1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, plus liquid
                        1/4 cup diced canned pimento
                        1 jalapeno, diced
                        1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
                        1 clove garlic, minced
                        1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
                        1 teaspoon cumin
                        1/4 teaspoon salt
                        dash cayenne pepper
                        dash basil
                        dash oregano

On the side
                        Sour cream
                        Pinch chopped Italian parsley

1. Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a large pot
                        over medium/high heat. Cook the chicken on both side until
                        done -- about 7-10 minutes per side. Cool the chicken until
                        it can be handled. Do not rinse the pot.
                        2. Shred the chicken by hand into bite-sizes pieces and place
                        the pieces back into the pot.
                        3. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and turn heat to
                        high. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for
                        4-5 hours. Stir mixture often so that many of the chicken pieces
                        shred into much smaller bits. Chili should reduce substantially
                        to thicken and darken (less orange, more brown) when done.
                        4. Combine some chopped Italian parsley with sour cream and serve
                        it on the side for topping the chili, if desired.
                        Makes 4-6 servings.
                        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by aculle01
                          Meat Loaf

1 lb. ground beef - Dont use too lean beef
                          Meat from 2 Italian sausages - I like to use hot sausage but sweet sausage can be used as well.
                          2 cubs bread crumbs
                          1 heaping tbs. grainy mustard

*snip*
                          I like to take my meatloaf... spread it out on wax paper.. put a good helping of cooked mash potatoes in the middle and roll it up.. when you cut it open... your mash potatoes is served with each helping of meatloaf... yummy.

Comment

Pollo Scaloppine Della Madre

8 oz angel hair pasta
                            3 fillets chicken breast, boneless, skinless
                            1/2 cup all-purpose flour
                            3 Tbs light olive oil
                            2 Tbs butter
                            1/2 tsp lemon juice
                            2 cups sliced mushrooms
                            13.75 oz canned artichoke hearts, sliced
                            1/3 cup cooked bacon, chopped (about 1 1/2 ounces)
                            2 Tbs capers
                            Sauce
                            1 Tbs chicken broth
                            2 tsp lemon juice
                            1 cup butter (2 sticks, salted)
                            1/3 cup heavy cream
                            Garnish
                            4 tsp parsley

1 Make the lemon butter sauce by pouring white wine and lemon juice into a saucepan over medium/low heat. Add butter and stir occasionally until it's melted. When the butter is melted, add the cream and whisk thoroughly. Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring frequently. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
                            2 Fold plastic wrap over each chicken breast and pound them with a mallet until the chicken is about 1/8-inch thick. Slice each breast in half, then lightly salt and pepper each piece. Pour flour onto a plate then coat each chicken piece with a light layer of flour. If you haven't already done it, this is a good time to start boiling your pasta. Follow the directions on the package to cook the pasta al dente, or just slightly tough.
                            3 Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Heat 2 tablespoons of light olive oil, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken breast pieces, four-at-a-time, to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is light brown. Place finished chicken on a baking sheet and keep it warm in the oven until you are ready to assemble your dish.
                            4 Rinse out the skillet and place it back over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot add the mushrooms, artichoke hearts, bacon, and capers and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or just until you see some slight browning on the mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Pour the lemon butter sauce into the skillet and remove it from the heat.
                            5 Prepare each dish by piling pasta on one side of the plate. Sprinkle fresh parsley over the pasta. Arrange a chicken piece on each plate then spoon the mushroom/artichoke sauce over the chicken pieces and serve.

Comment

Keres' Mom's Parmesan Chicken

1 cup milk
                              1 minced garlic
                              1/2 cup parm. cheese
                              1/2 cup bread crumbs
                              boneless chicken breast
                              1 tsp. lemon juice
                              1 stick butter

1. Mix together parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
                              2. Dip each chicken breast in milk
                              3. Dip chicken in the parm. cheese and crumb mixture and place chicken into baking dish.
                              4. Melt butter.
                              5. In a separate bowl, mix together garlic, lemon juice, and butter. Pour over chicken.

Bake at 325 F for 35 to 45 minutes. Serves 4-6 comfortably.
                              --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X