Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonlance Animated Movie

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/movie/
    All the info to be had is there. But it's been confirmed by Margaret Weis (author of the core dragonlance series books) that there is infact a dragonlance animated movie in production, Theatrical release date Fall '07. The movie is going to be based off the Book Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

Goldmoon: Lucy Lawless (Xena, BSG)
    Tanis:Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor from WB's Smallville)
    Tasslehoff: Jason Marsden

Both rosenbaum and marsden have extensive voice-acting experience.

Director: Will Meugniot
    Screenplay: George Strayton (Xena & Hercules)

Personally I am excited just because I like the books, and it's an interesting world. Granted, chances are it's going to be horrible but I'm willing to take that risk!

More linky:
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=3&id=36865
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=36881&type=0
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Re: Dragonlance Animated Movie

I've been looking forward to a movie from these books for a long time, but I'm not sure about the whole animated thing yet, I'd prefer live action.

Comment

Awsome! Some Dragonlance fans.

I think animation would do it justice.

The Chronicles trilogy would do well i am sure.

The book that started it all should do well.

the Darkenwood chapters were awsome, cause the companions witnessed the excellence of Raist. When they first get to Xax Tarquios (the abdanded city that Riverwind found the important artifact in) should be high drama if they direct it well.

If they do the second book, I wonder who would do the voice of the Dark Lady? Lawless would have been good for that, but o well.

Nice post
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind
        I've been looking forward to a movie from these books for a long time, but I'm not sure about the whole animated thing yet, I'd prefer live action.
        It's much easier to do this sort of thing animiated than it is Live action.

If you do it live action, you're basically stuck with B-grade sci-fi channel movie or 200million budget LOTR movies, which it will not have.

So, instead of watching really bad special effects, we will have to hope that the animators don't suck.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_the_new_guy
          Xax Tarquios (the abdanded city that Riverwind found the important artifact in) should be high drama if they direct it well.
          It looks like you combined Pax Tharkas with the place you were looking for, Xak Tsaroth. :D

Comment

Not thrilled about the type of animation that will be used, I would have preferred something akin to Advent Children. I'll be willing to give it a shot, though, so long as it isn't that annoying "shakey" animation.

edit: also not thrilled that they cut out "a lot" of the book's plot to make the movie 90min. There was a lot of stuff that happened in the book; it might have been advantageous to leave more in and add another 30min to the movie.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

There's probably enough material in the book to make two 90-minute movies. As for using AC type animation, you'd have to go to japan for that. The two major CG animation studios on the US concentrate more on cartoony CG than realistic CG, not to mention you run into the big budget problem again. And the only realistic option for a lower-budget CG animation would be that group out of canada that did Reboot.

Granted, they went to asia to have their animation done anyway. And if the final art is anything like the style used normally by the conceptual artist listed, atleast it won't look too cartoony.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
                It looks like you combined Pax Tharkas with the place you were looking for, Xak Tsaroth. :D

Hey, Thanks!

yeah i used to get those confused a lot. I did not feel like getting my books out of storage to research it.

Pax Tharkas. Built by the Hill Dwarfs and Quinsitia Elves after the Kinslayer years yes? Abdonded post cataclysm when the races kept to themselves.
                Pax Tharkas will see a lot of action in this first movie that is for sure. Nice place for a Dragon Highlord to set up camp.
                Xak Tsaroth. Ancient City left in Ruines after the cataclysm. Swamp appeared around it bad for the tourist.

Thanks again.

P.S. the last book i read was Dragon's of a Vanished Moon. What would be a good one to read that keeps up with the main stroy line? Thanks Champ.
                (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
                (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
                (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
                Squad Leader pledge to their team:
                Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

The only dragonlance books I have are by weis and hickman. So the original chronicles, Test of the twins trilo, young raisltin duo, second generation and the chaos war book, then the second chronicles are all that I own.

Comment

The official cast list is complete
                    http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/movie/cast/

Casting for the Dragonlance movie is largely complete. The following cast members are confirmed for the movie:

Tanis Half-Elven
                    Michael Rosenbaum

Raistlin Majere
                    Kiefer Sutherland

Goldmoon
                    Lucy Lawless

Flint Fireforge / Fewmaster Toede
                    Fred Tatasciore

Tika Waylan
                    Michelle Trachtenberg

Caramon Majere
                    Rino Romano

Tasslehoff Burrfoot
                    Jason Marsden

Fizban The Fabulous
                    Neil Ross

Sturm Brightblade
                    Mark Worden

Riverwind & Gilthanas
                    Phil Lamarr

Bupu
                    Jentle Phoenix

Laurana
                    Caroline Gelabert

Takhisis
                    Nikka Futterman

The Forestmaster
                    Mari Weiss

Elistan
                    Ben McCain

Pyros
                    Dee Bradley Baker

Flamestrike
                    Susan Silo

Onyx
                    Juliette Cohen

Comment

Sorry if someone already said it and I didn't understand, but if I wanted to read some Dragonlance books before the movie is out, where should I start?
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                        Sorry if someone already said it and I didn't understand, but if I wanted to read some Dragonlance books before the movie is out, where should I start?

Just start with the Chronicles I would say. That's the only Dragonlance books I have read. You should be ale to find them in a used book store or you can look for the compilation book that has all three of the books in one. Someone who has more knowledge of the Dragonlance world might have a better suggestion.
                        sigpic

Comment

Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy:
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...795326?ie=UTF8
                          This series is the first and core series. The movie is an adaptation of the first book.
                          Then I'd move on to:

Legends Trilogy:
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...e=UTF8&s=books
                          Which expands upon the story of two of the more popular characters in the series.

From here there are a couple ways to go. You could go into what was considered the "Second Generation" series, which is mostly about the children of the characters in the first series, or you could move into any number of the off-shoot series that deal with every minor character you've ever thought of (there was a whole massive collection of these books. If there is a group of people or historical event, you can bet there's a trilogy about it somewhere)

Personally I like to stick with the core authors, Weis and Hickman, so the only "second generation" book I would read is:
                          Dragons of Summer Flame

As it deals with the chaos war, which you really need to know about to be able to understand:

The War of Souls Trilogy

And from there, if you're still with us, you can move onto the latest books dealing with the new main character from War of Souls (Mina).
                          Only two of those three books are out so far, third one be out probably around christmas.

Whew. If all you want is some background into the universe for the movie, you only really need to worry about the first trilogy. But basically, you can't go wrong with anything by Weis and Hickman. And they are even writing a new "dark chronicles" trilogy. The first book of which (Dragons of the Dwarven Depths) deals with the finding of the hammer of Kharas, which is a large bit that is skipped over between the first and second book of Chronicles.

Comment

And you can choose to step into Krynn's past and look upon the legens and heros who brought about the Age the trilogy takes place in after you've started on Spyder's list.

Some of my favorites:
                            The Legend of Huma
                            Kaz the Minotaur
                            The Dragons

There's a huge selection of dragon lance books out there, and it's easy to get swept into tales of the various characters. MW and TH have made a very rich expanding world and I don't think they're stopping any time soon.

For a (I think) complete list of Dragon Lance books: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_novels

EDIT:
                            Oh, almost forgot. One of my favorite Characters, Lord Soth, in the series can also be found in another D&Dish series of novels as well. If you're familiar with the Ravenloft setting at all, there is a novel series centered around him slightly. Won't go into details but if you're interested in the character, the novesl about him are good.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

I loved the original series (Chronicles and Legends), but I am sad to see this animated movie come along, as it's very unlikely to do justice to the outstanding literary work.

I believe that books this good deserve to be done in a real movie, ala the Lord of the Rings series.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X