Thoughts on Prey.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Prey.......

After playing the game Prey in single player for a couple of hours, I would say its okay, just entertaining. Just another Doom 3 game.
    XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Re: Thoughts on Prey.......

thanks for the HU wildcat!!!!
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

No money to comment on it. Buying Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, a few anime single CDs and the Suzumiya Haruhi novels have drained me completely.

Should be alot of fun though. Hopefully I can pick it up next week or so.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I'm debating on whether or not to buy Prey or buy The Ship. I wish The Ship had a demo...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I am no fan of the DOOM3 engine. Every game I've played based off that engine looks the same. Looks like you are just playing DOOM3 all over again.

I'm happy to admit that this is not the case with Prey. The start of the demo is one of the very best game sequences I have had the pleasure to view/play through in a long time. When the Aliens come and take you away it is thrilling and exciting! Graphics look much nicer than DOOM3 looked.

I also love how so many things in the game world can be used. see that juke box over there in the bar? go on over and scroll through the cds then select one to play. adjust the volume too. See that TV over there, go change the channels and pick something to watch. or maybe you'd rather go over to the arcade games and play a game or two. Pretty cool.

Also as the demo progresses you are treated to a mulittude of neat special effects, cool environments and down right strange happenings. What these aliens are doing exactly is only somewhat clear but brutal all the same. This game doesn't do anything we haven't already seen but it does mix it up a bunch and creates a fantastic environment and even a story that seems interesting.

Anyway, this demo is worth checking out.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            I'm debating on whether or not to buy Prey or buy The Ship. I wish The Ship had a demo...
            The Ship. I haven't had as much fun playing a game for a very long time. Sorry to hijack this thread, but it is an incredibly entertaining title.

It differs from most of the other games available on Steam in that it requires a fairly high level of thought and tactical adeptness. In order to succeed, you must be able to subtly stalk your kill, survive as you are slowly hunted down by another player as well as balance out your character's needs (think The Sims). A keen sense of timing and a willingness to watch and wait is required.

There are a huge number of ways to kill your quarry, and an immense variety of weaponry is strewn around the various areas on each ship. Of course, some weapons are easier to obtain than others, such as the ubiquitous axe, but the amount of cash you get for each kill depends on how highly your weapon of choice is ranked in the "money for kills table". If everyone is using axes, you'll only get a paltry $100 for embedding it in your quarry's back. On the other hand, a frying pan to the neck or a flare gun to the face might net you something well in the $5000 range. As a result, if you want to be successful you're going to have to venture into off-limits areas, and be hit with a small fine for tresspassing, or just have to go where the other players aren't.

In the last hour or so I have:
            - Dropped a lifeboat on the sick sick man that was hunting me down.
            - Trapped my quarry in the sauna and turned up the heat to reduce him to a pile of molten goo.
            - Manipulated the jets of steam in the ship's engineering department to roast an unsuspecting victim.
            - Sniped someone on the deck below me as they sipped coffee.
            - Used a remote-control "wallet bomb" to catch the over-eager masses unaware.
            - Slapped someone to death with a "mannequin arm".

Also, you won't be starved for playing space. I think there are around 5 or 6 ships, each different in their layout and varied in their size. Any server with 4 or more players is a blast.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
              I am no fan of the DOOM3 engine. Every game I've played based off that engine looks the same. Looks like you are just playing DOOM3 all over again.

I'm happy to admit that this is not the case with Prey. The start of the demo is one of the very best game sequences I have had the pleasure to view/play through in a long time. When the Aliens come and take you away it is thrilling and exciting! Graphics look much nicer than DOOM3 looked.
              This is VERY true. They did amazing work with the Doom3 engine.

This game doesn't do anything we haven't already seen...
              I disagree.

The main thing that impressed me was the gravity walkway thingies. Changing your perspective 90 or 180 degrees in any direction, instantly, was quite interesting and unique. It introduces a whole new perspective (literally) and will be fun to get used to... The incredible use of reflections and "cameras" (seeing yourself in one of those warp tunnels) was a pretty cool graphics trick, too.

Munchkin, tell me you've been playing with other TG members and I'm buying The Ship.
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Munchkin, tell me you've been playing with other TG members and I'm buying The Ship.
                I just bought The Ship a few days ago. Only had a chance to play it for about 30 minutes so far but it's definitely a breath of fresh air.

It would be a blast to get some TG people together on a server...

Comment

I haven't, as of yet. But to get even a couple of us on TS and hit up a server would be a blast.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  |TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

I think that some of the NS/Dys folks have been playing it together: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...6005-ship.html
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I need to buy the ship but as is the case with Prey no money. I will most likely have to choose but I pick Prey first. (Hopefully I can still find the CE edition.)

I take it I am the only person that loves the Doom 3 engine and enjoys Doom 3, its expansion, and Quake 4? And in the case of Quake 4 find it one of the best looking games I have ever played.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

You definitely can't die in Prey. If you die you keep getting sent to the overworld to replenish your life.

Comment

^^^^Shadowman has something like that. When you died in the living world you went to the deadside.

Also face it you aren't going to die in any game. Not ones with quicksave and quickload atleast.
                          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

One Nasty Creature

Comment

I beat that guy already, was a mean sucker.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X