Thinking of putting together a new rig, Vista advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of putting together a new rig, Vista advice

My last 3 computers were built by me. Ordered the parts off the net and put em together, as I'm sure many of you have done.

Just curious if you think I should just buy a pre-built model from dell/alienware etc for my next PC? My thinking is that Vista is going to be pretty expensive retail. I've just used my XP PRO disc for the last three PC's so OS cost was never a factor in the build. I doubt I could put together a system cheaper with Vista myself, as I'm sure the major manufactuers get a huge discount with OEM pricing on the OS.

Whaddaya think?

Re: Thinking of putting together a new rig, Vista advice

I am going to bite the bullet and buy the OS when it comes time to - mind you - it won't be as soon as Vista comes out.. maybe a year later.

I would suggest you consider the same - for one thing, using your install disk from a previous prebuilt computer to install the OS on your new computer falls against the EULA anyway - the OS you get when you buy a Dell or Alienware is an OEM version anyway that is only good for the CPU it is initially installed on.

You will also be able to buy OEM editions of Vista when it finally ships that will save you money - but remember, by the terms of the EULA - it may only be installed on a system with the same CPU each time it is reinstalled. The full retail version of Vista may be reinstalled as many times as needed as often as you rebuild/replace your PC/CPU as long as it is only one at a time.
    sigpic

Comment

Given that you've used xp over the course of three different computers do you think you'll use Vista over multiple computers? From what I understand, the OEM version of microsoft OS's are tied to the motherboard (maybe I'm wrong about that or maybe Vista won't be like that). So, when you decide to get the next PC after this one will you again buy pre-built with bundled OS or will you then buy a retail version of Vista? In the long run, won't this be more expensive?

[edit] Doh P8riot got here as I was reading and typing :p

Also, alienware is just way too expensive for what you get.

Comment

Hmm, maybe you guys are onto something. Is there any way to get VISTA cheaper than just going to best buy and picking up the box?

I don't want an OEM version that can't be installed on multiple CPU's either. This will have to last me all of VISTA's usable life.

Comment

@ Sordavie: :D

Prices are pretty well fixed by MS. One source I find good prices on retail software is www.buycheapsoftware.com but Newegg also has some pretty typical good prices as well. - but you'll probably only save $10 - $20 or so.. it's been a while since I've looked at the spread.
          sigpic

Comment

If you buy online, you'll likely save on sales tax.

Comment

I will be building 5 to 7 new rigs on the Core 2 duo processor in the next couple of months. They probably won't be 'Vista-centric' but they will be 'Vista-ready'.
              sigpic

Comment

Yea, I'm going core 2 duo most likely. I've still got a few more months to wait though. Just figuring out the cheapest way to go about it.

Comment

Depends on where you live at BHack, whether the tied to motherboard EULA is legal. I am going to assume it is the states.

Do you know anyone who goes to a college? Most MS products can be had for cents on the dollar with a student discount.

I have a MSDN subscription so I just generally grab whatever I need from MS.

Right now I have virtual machines for 95,98,2k,XP plus a host of other systems.

Az
                  [age-c1][command]

Comment

Originally posted by AzrealDarkmoon
                    Depends on where you live at BHack, whether the tied to motherboard EULA is legal. I am going to assume it is the states.

Do you know anyone who goes to a college? Most MS products can be had for cents on the dollar with a student discount.

I have a MSDN subscription so I just generally grab whatever I need from MS.

Right now I have virtual machines for 95,98,2k,XP plus a host of other systems.

Az
                    Yes good idea. I forgot about 'student' versions. Are these in any way feature restricted?

Comment

Originally posted by BHack
                      Yes good idea. I forgot about 'student' versions. Are these in any way feature restricted?
                      I believe MS discontinued the Student Editions for OS software.

You can still get student editions of Office and the like - but they do things like expire at 1 year and stuff like that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Definately should hold off on buying a Vista rig. Wait until we find out when DX10 cards will be released.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

by the way its MS, don't be their free beta tester. Might wanna stick with XP for a while, and let others do the testing....
                          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
                            by the way its MS, don't be their free beta tester. Might wanna stick with XP for a while, and let others do the testing....
                            Very true. I'll wait until they build the parts that will work well with Vista. I see nothing right now that is Vista centric, mostly Vista ready which I do not believe will work with Vista.
                            XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

I will second (fifth?) waiting and seeing how it goes. nVidia and ATI have full new cards coming out (not refreshes like the 7800/7900 and X1800/X1900) in several month's time, DX10 will be out in several month's time, and you'll just have better perspective with which to make your decision in general.

If you're hurting for some better performance now, though, you can always grab a new graphics card for a massive boost.

@P8riot - there is speculation that DX10 titles will be released with or shortly after the release of Vista. This alone would drive many gamers to go out and get it - assuming DX10 is indeed what it's cracked up to be. We shall see.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X