Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD agrees to buy ATI

AMD agrees to buy ATI for about $5.4 billion

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD.N: Quote, Profile, Research), the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, said on Monday it would acquire graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.4 billion in cash and stock to expand its product mix and grow market share as it battles Intel Corp. (INTC.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

Under terms of the deal, AMD will acquire all of the outstanding common shares of ATI for $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock, based on the number of shares of ATI common stock outstanding on July 21.

AMD said it would pay $20.47 per share for each share of ATI (ATYT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) (ATY.TO: Quote, Profile, Research). That marks a 24 percent premium over ATI's closing stock price of $16.56 on Nasdaq on Friday. The stock added another 7 percent to $17.68 in after-hours trading amid media reports of the expected deal.

The consideration for each outstanding share of ATI is comprised of $16.40 of cash and 0.2229 shares of AMD common stock, the companies said.

Talk of a tie-up between the two companies first emerged in May, but many industry analysts have said it made little financial or strategic sense for AMD to buy ATI outright.

In addition to making graphics chips, ATI also supplies chipsets -- the cluster of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor -- for AMD and Intel products.

full article - http://today.reuters.com/business/ne...PRO-ATI-DC.XML

This is crazy news, what are your thoughts??

Re: AMD agrees to buy ATI

My thoughts? Either I'm switching back to Intel now that ATI has their nasty little hands in the pot, or, hopefully, AMD will straighten ATI out...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I wish AMD would buy NVIDIA. Their customer support sucks.

Comment

Yeah, AMD + NVIDIA would be the best combo. Sucks to have the superior gaming CPU company purchase the lesser video card company. (In my opinion.)

Comment

I've been satisfied with ATI.
          XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by Mjr Doodie
            I wish AMD would buy NVIDIA. Their customer support sucks.
            That would be awesome. Green on green lovin' anyone? :row__642:

---

Comment

Originally posted by Paperchase
              Yeah, AMD + NVIDIA would be the best combo. Sucks to have the superior gaming CPU company purchase the lesser video card company. (In my opinion.)
              Nothing lesser about ATI. Nothing superior about AMD at this point.
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
              "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom
                Nothing lesser about ATI. Nothing superior about AMD at this point.
                Very true.

Comment

Nothing lesser about ATI.
                  Except their drivers STILL suck.
                  Nothing superior about AMD at this point.
                  Except their prices.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    Except their drivers STILL suck.
                    Try Omegas.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      Except their drivers STILL suck. Except their prices.

Their drivers are fine unless you are using Linux and the CC sucks but you can get around it.

And the only reason AMD has a price advantage is that Conroe based mobos are so expensive.

Look I prefer AMD to Intel and would buy an AM2 system if I had to at this moment but there is no denying that C2D owns AMD in just about every price segment. The only thing holding it back are the expensive C2D mobos.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

Their drivers are fine unless you are using Linux and the CC sucks but you can get around it.
                        I haven't had any problems with their drivers, I think it depends on the kind of card you buy from ATI.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X