Sell me on the Sony PSP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on the Sony PSP

I have some money burning a hole in my pocket and a sudden craving for the PSP. Before fickle fate strips me of my cash for something mundane and unnecessary, such as car payments or food, please tell me all you know about the PSP and whether or not I should want it. What kind of memory stick do I need? Cool or vital accessories? Buy the core system and options seperately, or get the value pack? What games are sure bets? 3rd party software, etc?
    In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Sell me on the Sony PSP

Steeler, you and I are on the same wave length! I almost picked one up last night after watching my younger counsins playing on it this weekend on two seperate psp's. I stood there contemplating in Target for at least 20mins. PSP vs gas for next two week (agrument for PSP: I could ride my bike), PSP vs golfing for the next month (arguement for PSP: it's too hot to chase golf balls), PSP vs Diapers (arguement for PSP: it's time to potty train my son anyway), PSP vs wife getting mad at more video games (arguement: no hanky panky for a week). I chose not to buy, but the thought is still lurking in the back of my head. The graphics look incredible for such a small mobile thing and you could play multiplayer w/ wi-fi or bluetooth.

Comment

Don't waste your money on the PSP. Target has just pulled their PSP movie line and Wal-mart has condensed their PSP movie line. The games are mediocre vs. the Nintendo DS. I have found the Nintendo DS to be more worth while even with the wi-fi multiplayer on some games. The memory cards are a rip off for the PSP. I still haven't seen a decent game on the PSP. If you already have a MP3 player, the PSP is not worth your money.
      XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat2000
        Don't waste your money on the PSP. Target has just pulled their PSP movie line and Wal-mart has condensed their PSP movie line. The games are mediocre vs. the Nintendo DS. I have found the Nintendo DS to be more worth while even with the wi-fi multiplayer on some games. The memory cards are a rip off for the PSP. I still haven't seen a decent game on the PSP. If you already have a MP3 player, the PSP is not worth your money.
        QFT.

PSP's game lineup leaves alot to be desired. The only good games I can think of is Lumines and this Gundam Strategy game. The problem can best be sumed up as this. I go to any store and I have problems finding 3 PSP games I would buy. I look at the DS and I have no problem finding 5+ games I want to buy. Off the top of my head SD Gundam G Generation Portable and Tales of Phantasia are the only games I can think of that I would buy. Both of them being Japanese imports.

My PSP story is that I found out one day that this game Mobile Suit Gundam Gihren's Greed was going to be released on the PSP. It is a turned based Gundam strategy game and I have wanted to play it since I first heard about it. (Game has been on the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and PSP) Now the PSP is region free for games unless the devs lock it (thus far I only know of Rockstar that does that.) so I figured hey let me get a PSP. The game was 70 dollars and the PSP was 250 dollars. Alot to play one game which has disappointed me alot but I think Tales of Phantasia and SD Gundam G Gen will help.

Yes I still have only one PSP game and I have had it since August of last year and I have no current plans to buy any other games. Now compare that to my DS which I have no less then 10 games for already.

PSP positives:
        Screen. (Very nice and widescreen too.)
        Games. (If you like console ports.)
        Watching videos. (Because of nice screen)
        PS2 like graphics (keyword like but better then a DS by a long shot)
        Firmware updates (bad for homebrew software but you do get added feature like WMA/WAV support)
        Looks sexy.

PSP negatives:
        lower battery life then the DS. (DS Lite has an extra hour if I remember correctly over the regular DS.)
        UMD movies suck/are being abandoned. (The new thing they are planning on doing is even worse.)
        Games. (Mostly console ports.)
        Higher price tag then the DS. (250 vs 129)
        Region locking. (Most games are region free but UMD movies aren't)
        Jack of all trades (can do music, video and games but while good at games is horrid compared to a Zen Vision M for music and video only advantage over a Zen Vision M is that it can play games and has a bigger screen/widescreen)
        Games cost more (50 dollars compared to the 20-35 DS games)

DS positives:
        Games (more quality titles)
        Can play GBA games. (Can't play GB and GBC games.)
        Cheaper. (129 vs 250)
        Longer battery life (DS Lite has an extra hour over the standerd DS)
        touch screen (a new innovation)
        DS Lite screens are lovely.
        Sturdier design (clam shell vs open face so you have to buy an accessory to protect the screen)
        DS Lite is sexy

DS negatives:
        Games (subjective after all)
        The standard DS is not that nice looking.
        The standard DS doesn't have screens as nice as a PSP/DS Lite (i have yet to see a DS lite in person but I know it has screens better then the standard DS)
        Using a standard DS hurts. (DS Lite fixes this)
        N64 like graphics
        No audio/video support

Alright that list is about as objective as I can make one. If I forgot anything I will add but this is generally the break down.

I vote for the DS get that and all the great games. If you need a list ask and I will post.

Edit: I forgot to mention both has online MP options and WiFi local gaming. Also the DS is completely region free and EU/Japanese/US games work.

I have Jump SuperStars (SSB for the DS with Shonen Jump characters) and SD Gundam G Generation DS. (I think I lost it though which is bad since it costs like 60 dollars)
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I have two Nintendo DS units with most of the accoutrements. So I'm biased. But I have also played the PSP for a few hours and am quite happy I jumped in the Nintendo camp. Get the DS lite and bask in it's glory.
          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM-79N_GM_CUstom

DS positives:
            Games (more quality titles)
            Can play GBA games. (Can't play GB and GBC games.)
            Cheaper. (129 vs 250)
            Longer battery life (DS Lite has an extra hour over the standerd DS)
            touch screen (a new innovation)
            DS Lite screens are lovely.
            Sturdier design (clam shell vs open face so you have to buy an accessory to protect the screen)
            DS Lite is sexy

DS negatives:
            Games (subjective after all)
            The standard DS is not that nice looking.
            The standard DS doesn't have screens as nice as a PSP/DS Lite (i have yet to see a DS lite in person but I know it has screens better then the standard DS)
            Using a standard DS hurts. (DS Lite fixes this)
            N64 like graphics
            No audio/video support

I vote for the DS get that and all the great games. If you need a list ask and I will post.
            DS Lite is much better than the original, I upgraded as soon as they came out and I'm glad I did. Brings new life to those GBA games and DS games with the brighter screen. Games I have for the Nintendo DS:

Tetris DS
            Mario Kart DS
            "New" Super Mario Bros.
            Brain Age
            Super Mario 64
            WarioWare Touched
            Metroid Prime Pinball
            Madden 06
            Castlevania of Sorrow

You can't find those games on PSP except for Madden 06. The new DS Lite charges faster at 3 hours vs 4 hours on the original and depending on the brightness setting the battery lasts longer than the original. I would recommend the DS lite over the original DS or PSP. You just won't find the game support to be spectacular on the PSP like the DS.

Comment

^^^^^I am waiting on the DS Lite. I don't like the white DSL we have so I am going to import the black EU DSL. As soon as I get the money of course. (Not any time soon.)
              RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
              "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

^^^^^I am waiting on the DS Lite. I don't like the white DSL we have so I am going to import the black EU DSL. As soon as I get the money of course. (Not any time soon.)
                Have you been reading the game news lately? It seems Nintendo has been getting some of their shipments stolen, especially the black DS Lite.

Comment

Play Asia still has it in stock. 200USD.

Importing hurts.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Play Asia still has it in stock. 200USD.

Importing hurts.
                    Ouch.

Comment

See, I have the opposite response to the titles. Nintendo hasn't produced a game I would pay for in about 4 years. Whereas when I look at the PSP rack I see 4 or 5 that I'd like to pick up straight away. (GTA, Katamari, Valkyrie Profile, Street Fighter, SSX, etc.) Plus, I work in video, so I really like the idea of ripping clips and movies to memory and carrying them on the plane or on car trips. I also do a lot of photography, and that screen is real purty-like for photos.

I have an iPod for music, so that would be a redundant feature.

Thanks for the input, though. This will require some more thought. Although honestly, I'm 80% on the way to buying it.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                        Thanks for the input, though. This will require some more thought. Although honestly, I'm 80% on the way to buying it.
                        You can lead a horse to water...

;)
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

All good info - This has been on my mind as well.. I thought I might even wind up with a DS AND a PSP.. but I may just get the DS and take it from there... probably be enough for me.

- For now.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                            See, I have the opposite response to the titles. Nintendo hasn't produced a game I would pay for in about 4 years. Whereas when I look at the PSP rack I see 4 or 5 that I'd like to pick up straight away. (GTA, Katamari, Valkyrie Profile, Street Fighter, SSX, etc.) Plus, I work in video, so I really like the idea of ripping clips and movies to memory and carrying them on the plane or on car trips. I also do a lot of photography, and that screen is real purty-like for photos.

I have an iPod for music, so that would be a redundant feature.

As I said you would be better off with a Zen Vision M for that. Just on storage to cost it blows the PSP out of the water. The screen is as nice as a PSP (only smaller and not widescreen) and you support more formats.
                            7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Ahem...

(standard disclaimer, I work for PS, blah, blah, opinions are my own)

Seeing as how our staff discount is like $9, I think the PSP I bought was still out of pocket and in no way a "cheap" purchase. Actually, truth be told, I bought my PSP off e-bay for 260 because our staff allotment was going to come in 2 months after launch. I'd agree that UMD movies have not done spectacularly, but I cherish things like my copy of Akira on UMD for plane flights. Also consider its a pretty groovy mp3 player and photo viewer. The MGS Acid series of games is by far the best thing available for the PSP (again, my own opinion) and should appeal to your tactical mind once you figure the game out.

The best thing about the PSP,locationfree.

I cannot describe the coolness of being stuck working at CES this Jan, and watching all the football games on the show floor on my personal PSP. Yes it costs a bit, but boy does it rock...

For reference, I don't own a DS, Nintendos IP just doesn't move me. To cutesy.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...