Looking for a new puppy (canada).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new puppy (canada).

My family's dog rescently passed away (got hit by a car). He was 12 so he lived a descent life, but he went sooner then was expected :(. Anyway my mom isn't taking it too well so I am on the search to get her a new puppy.

I'll be doing an extensive online search and was wondering if anyone has some website recommendations to make to aid me in my search. I am situated in toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Thanks

Cheers.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Looking for a new puppy (canada).

I don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing, but what is your search going to consist of? I was under the impression that you walk into an animal shelter, adopt the cutest one that doesn't try to rend your flesh, and hope for the best. Are there actually websites that list like, the dog's characteristics?

Comment

Yeah, this confuses me, too... I'm assuming that since you didn't mention a breed, that you're not looking for a pedigreed animal. Don't they have dog pounds/animal shelters/humane societies where you can adopt dogs and cats up there in the frozen tundra?
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

From my limited searches so far I have found several shelters/adoption places around my place. Unfortunately many don’t have websites, so the only option there is to go in person.

However I have also found websites where people place ads for dogs which they are selling from their own litters. Through this route I am more likely to find a puppy, since from what I see shelters generally have slightly older dogs, and generally larger breeds.

I am looking for a female that is a small/medium sized breed. I haven't picked a specific breed though. We have owned a Chihuahua and a miniature pinscher in the past. I would probably like to get something slightly larger this time around.

Edit: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-pets-dogs...-W0QQCatIdZ126 for example has nearly 1000 listings for puppies in my region. There are many there that are great however they are more pricey then a shelter. I guess I will exhaust my shelter search before considering these sources.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

As a specific breed to recommend, ignoring everything you said :P , the Catahoula is a great dog. I'd recommend Googling it. It's a bit bigger than you might want, but it's also an extremely intelligent, loyal, loving, and beautiful dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Polska
            I am looking for a female that is a small/medium sized breed.
            For ethical reasons, I would recommend that you do exhaust the sources of unwanted dogs before looking at dogs for sale.

And, I'm not sure if you know, but miniature dobies and chihuahuas are not even considered to be a "small" breed. They are considered to be a "toy" breed. Small dogs are about 3-5 times the size of a chihuahua or mini pinz.

If you can't find a free pooch and have decided to buy one, I'd like to recommend the Vizsla as a spectacularly social dog that is a great watch dog (not guard dog, he'll lick anyone to death if anything...). Unlike the vicious chihuahua, the Vizsla is a very well adjusted and passive dog. It has the same kind of short hair as the mini pinz and chihuahua, but is medium sized (about ten times the size of them) and a gorgeous red color. It's very loyal and great with children. They're great hunting dogs, like most shorthairs. Just an all around great breed.

All of those characteristics depend, of course, on how they're raised. Breed generalities depend on a good owner.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I plan to call the local humane society outposts as well as adoption centres during the week. I wouldn't be opposed to any puppy really, but the rest of my family probably wouldn't want a large breed. I will see if I can change their minds with some pictures if I do find one though.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

I really suggest getting out of the house and visit the shelters. Go see the dogs in person and do everything you can to get one from the shelter versus buying one. You would be giving a dog that no one wants a good home and it is much cheaper. In my area it costs $50 US to adopt a pet from the shelter and that includes neuter/spaying and all of the shots. Go play with the puppies. You won't regret it.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Ya, I will be making alot of calls tomorrow to see who has puppies up for adoption. I really hope I can find something soon, I love dogs so much. If I don't find anything during this week I have found a source where I can find puppies for sale. So one way or another I hope to have a new puppy fairly soon.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

We just got a Fox terrier/border collie mix over a month ago. She is really samrt, well behaved, learns really fast. Will be about 30ish pounds full grown, really good dog, she is really good with the 20 month old son. Had her potty trained in about 2 weeks. Which was faster than I was hoping for. Good breed if they have em there. Not a pedigree dog, not for breeding and such.

Comment

I'm a big fan of border collies myself but my plan when I own a house at some point is to drive to the animal shelter, find the stupidest looking mutt puppy they have and adopt it. There is something extra lovable about really ugly dogs. My old roommate has one that was part German Shepard and part sharpei. You almost hate to look at the poor thing because he is so damned ugly but hes a great dog. I want one like that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X