Sig. Others Vs. Your gaming time -- The Epic Struggle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig. Others Vs. Your gaming time -- The Epic Struggle

I was reading the posts earlier and in the one about Robocop there is a post by P8riot that talks about his wife adding commentary in the background about the members on the server list. I had to smile and give +rep for his wife's knowledge of some BF2 players... My hubby has started playing with me in the last three months or so, but has stolen me since then to City of Villains (boo! :p) However, I have also shared the woes of those with less understanding significant others (ie. Sassy's beau :D) who police their time and/or are resentful of the time spent with "us!" :p

So .... I wanted a place for you to share your funny stories about your husbands/wives/bf/gf/buddies/pets/etc. that share or loathe your passion for the battlefield. Talk amongst yourselves.
    I heart TG.
    xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Re: Sig. Others Vs. Your gaming time -- The Epic Struggle

In the other thread, I made it sound worse than it really is. She gets a little upset after a while when I go through a "seriously addicted" phase with a game but for the most part, she understands that its a hobby and that its a good way for me to unwind. The problem stems from the fact that at the moment, I work full time, I attend Arizona State University full time and I'm going to be interning 6 hours a week this semester as well. I had a similar shedule last semester but without the interning and it left precious little time for "us". Although I found it a bit annoying at the time, I can understand the forlorn looks I'd get from across the room when I shouted "oh crap, I died again. Medic?" instead of spending time with her.

Its really not a problem. Its not something we really fight about but I'd be the first one to admit that I do sometimes spend too much time gaming. It doesn't put a huge amount of strain on our relationship but I know she wishes I was spending some time with her instead of slashing throats in San Andreas sometimes.
    sigpic

Comment

It is well understood in my household that when my wife and kids go to bed, I go to the "dungeon" (basement) and play games or slave at one of my way too many other hobbies. Descending into the dungeon during time which could be spent with the family is very much frowned-upon, and I think that's totally fair. She has absolutely no interest in any aspect of any game I play, though I have shared many an exciting game-related story with her. ;)

The one exception which happens every now and then is when there is an organized event, like a scrim. That's when I put my foot down and say "I will be doing this tonight, starting at 8PM, and probably running for a few hours". The response is usually along the lines of "SIGH... you and your silly games". I think she's awesome, allowing me to take so much free time for myself with little complaint, but then I knew that before I married her.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Well my wife thinks I am addicted to TG more than games he he. She thinks I spend way to much time on the computer and it is always a struggle. This is my only outlet and I won't let be taken away from me. I have sacrificed all my other hobbies since we got married and grew as a family. I have a 4yr old daughter and an 8mnth old son. I work long hours and after things are done around here I just want to blow some steam off and get blown away be Santa, Norcal and the rest of TG. I have a great wife and love her dearly but she doesn't understand my gaming and never will. Oh well if you don't have at least one thing to fight about then you aren't married.
        sigpic

Comment

My wife gets irritated with me but she understands. She spends nearly as much time on her computer as I do on mine.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by icky
            I think she's awesome, allowing me to take so much free time for myself with little complaint, but then I knew that before I married her.

A very wise quality to filter for.... lol
            I heart TG.
            xoxo

~Sugar~

"Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline." ~I saw this in Zephy'rs sig and I love it.

Comment

hehe.. Guess everyone else is single. ;)
              I heart TG.
              xoxo

~Sugar~

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|SugarNCamo
                And how!

I'd use that WoW dating site that's over in the Sandbox, but I have the feeling I'd just end up going out to dinner with JMJ.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|SugarNCamo
                  Maybe they tried to reply and they got caught. ;)
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

My family is fine with it, as long as I finish any other work before I go off playing.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                      And how!

I'd use that WoW dating site that's over in the Sandbox, but I have the feeling I'd just end up going out to dinner with JMJ.
                      :icon_lol:

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator
                        She spends nearly as much time on her computer as I do on mine.
                        At our house, sitting at the computer doing stuff is different from gaming. When I start playing, I tell my wife that I'm "going in", that I plan on fully immersing myself in the game, that I'll be trying to ignore distracting things like, you know, my son, that I'll be focusing on nothing else but the game. She's cool with that. I guess she figures it's better than me "going out drinking with the guys".

For quite a while, though, I was spending too much time with my face in front of the monitor. I've changed that volutarily, as working nights only gives me the weekend to spend time with my kid...
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

My house sounds a lot like Icky and Drizzid's mostly. After the 7 month old and the 4 yr old go to bed I say I'm going to my office and she replies "Tango Down". I rarely ever get on to play when I could be with her and the kids.

She used to like Gran Turismo, but hasn't played with me since the days of the PS1. When I start to tell her what's going on in our games her eyes just glaze over and I end the story quickly. Good hearted tolerance is a fitting description of her attitude because she doesn't resent it, but she doesn't understand it either.
                          New to TG?

Comment

My wife likes to sit down and relax while watching TV, and since i have ADD sitting and just watching TV doesn't give me enough to do, and plus she is a remote Nazi so i don't ever get to watch my shows. Shes knows the computer and gaming keeps me busy and out of her hair, but she also knows if she asks me to stop playing that i end game immediately and see what she wants.
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

My relationship with my wife was founded on video games and hanky panky. We met in College. Back then I was always too broke to go out so it was either hanky panky or video games. I knew then that I had a special woman since she was as fond of these two extracurricular activities as I was. The game back then for us was Perfect Dark for N64.

Fast forward seven years to 25 additional lbs., a mortgage, a 2-year old, still being broke, and less hanky panky. My saving grace has been BF2 as a means to relax from the pressures of being a father, a husband, and a civil service employee. I’m subject to the same rules as a few others here: family first then video games. Although my wife still plays video games, mostly GW Factions now, my fascination with BF2 continues to be a sore subject around our home. It’s been the topic of several “discussions” with my wife. She still curses the day she bought me my first video card and all the days that I “need” to play in a scrim.

P.s. It’s a silly thing, but I think she’s been a little jealous of Sassy ever since I cancelled our family plans to play in the CO challenge.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X