I need a job!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a job!

Where I'm from, the bottom of TN, there aren't many jobs that go around.

I'm certified in A+ repair, but there definately isn't a field for that here. I just quit my job due to my ex-girlfriend, and I need a job so bad it hurts. I'm making squat right now, but I've got a few checks coming in. Anyone know of a good work at home plan doing some tech support or something? I need someone direly.

Thanks guys.

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: I need a job!

im in the gutter too atm. Good luck tho atleast u got experience in something. Sorry i didnt have any job offerings but atleast im wishing u good luck.

Comment

Do you need a job, or want to work at home? Those aren't always exclusive, but the way you said it made it sound like you're looking for something easy... And easy is rarely profitable.

Anyway, the only suggestion I offer is for a long term job with a somewhat long hiring process: www.usajobs.gov It's where most federal job vacancies are announced and they're often looking for IT guys. I know A+ isn't much, but when doing up your resume, I'm sure that you can appropriately describe your abilities so that you meet the qualifications for many of the jobs there.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Also, if you're looking for PC repair type work go whore yourself to the local Best Buy and see if they have a Geeksquad crew up yet. They're rampant up here (MN) but that's to be expected as the original company started up here. If you don't know what they are, they're basically PC repair people that drive VW beetle's and do house calls at $150 a shot. The little mom and pop repair places up here lose trained people to them all the time because GS pays way better than they can.
        a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
        Celibacy is not Hereditary.
        Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
        Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
        Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

GS is up and running but unfortunately we've only got two people for the entire region. They won't hire anymore. I talked to a guy a few months back about it, and there's just not that much of a demand. I guess most people are looking for "mom and pop". As far as quick and easy goes, nah, I want to work for what I'm getting, but unfortunately, no one will give me the opprotunity to work... lol

Thanks for the insight tho guys. I got a call this morning from a wal-mart out of state working maint.

Wish me luck.

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

I hear you man, jobless here too. Lost my job in June because I got into a wreck and totalled my car. No car meant no way to reach work and my girlfriend works on the other side of town so it wasn't really an option to carpool.

Ah well, hoping to make some money with the short (long) story I've almost got ready.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

Join the army! JK, you could work at a resturant or you could try monster.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Acid
                Join the army! JK, you could work at a resturant or you could try monster.com.
                You know I'm actually been trying monster myself. Problem is, I need a job in the tampa/I-75 to brandon corridor. Working with a temp agency to find work but they arn't as helpful as one might think. It's based really on your representative. Either you hit the nail on the head, or you throw the hammer into a window if you catch my drift.

Comment

Yeah... give it a try. Go to monster.com and search for jobs within 20 miles of Selmer, TN. See how many come up, then look at what they're looking for. If you're anything short of a bachelor's degree from a 4 year school, you're boned anywhere around here.

I just got out of fast food. Too much drama, if you ask me. Too many kids, and no room to advance. I've got a couple of leads at Auto-Zone and Wal-Mart, but I doubt they'll come back. I'm just looking for something I can get a bit of money from over the net. If I'm paying for it, I should try to find a way to use it, huh?

If anyone has ANYTHING that I could do to make money over the net, I'm willing to put in countless hours.

Like I said before, I'm definate tech support material. Besides that, I'm a pretty good people person, so I can probably do some sales.

-Mom
                  Yer Mom /O>

Comment

Well I do PHP work over the internet for people which brings in money, but that only really works if you actually know thw language...
                    |TG| Lorian
                    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

www.fusioncash.net

Comment

Originally posted by Yer Mom
                        Yeah... give it a try. Go to monster.com and search for jobs within 20 miles of Selmer, TN. See how many come up, then look at what they're looking for. If you're anything short of a bachelor's degree from a 4 year school, you're boned anywhere around here.

I just got out of fast food. Too much drama, if you ask me. Too many kids, and no room to advance. I've got a couple of leads at Auto-Zone and Wal-Mart, but I doubt they'll come back. I'm just looking for something I can get a bit of money from over the net. If I'm paying for it, I should try to find a way to use it, huh?

If anyone has ANYTHING that I could do to make money over the net, I'm willing to put in countless hours.

Like I said before, I'm definate tech support material. Besides that, I'm a pretty good people person, so I can probably do some sales.

-Mom
                        Talk to an employement agency such as Speherion, AppleOne, Veritude, etc. I'm sure there are a few in your area. Most of the work you'll get will ussually be Temp to Perm, although you may get a few contract gigs here and there before you land one. The best part of being a temp is that you can check out an employer and their work space before you sign on permeantly. If you want out, there's no burning bridge required.

Comment

Temps / recruiters ain't all they're cracked up to be. Most are resume collectors that have an occasional job to fill, especially for the non-executive/management type jobs. At least the dozen or so companies I've talked to around here have felt like that.

Talk to EVERYONE you know.. Barber, friend's parents, cousins, cable guy, mailman, EVERYONE.. In school? Talk to the career department.. teachers, auto mechanic, auto mechanic's boss. Make a point of talking to 10 people every day.. Maybe not 10 new people, but just 10 people. You may not hit 10 each day, but you'll be talking to a bunch of people and getting your name out there by just trying. Maybe call a friend every week and see if he's heard of anything.

Head down to the state employment office and maybe talk to a counselor there for some tips. I worked with a guy last fall that was excellent.. gave me all sorts of rocks to turn over and tips and tricks.

But, the real way to make money on the net is by entertaining adults.... ;)
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

Perry has lots of experience in that area, I bet ;).

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080...e=UTF8&s=books

Only 12% of the jobs available appear in a widespread posting, and only the worst jobs get posted. 4 to 22 out of 100 headhunters land jobs. Ads in trade journals land jobs 7% of the time. Fewer than 1% of job seekers get the position in an Internet posting.

On the bright side:

Applying directly at an employer lands 47% of the time.
                              Asking friends for leads lands 34% of the time.
                              Asking relatives for job leads lands 27% of the time.
                              Using job placement office at your _college_ lands 21% of the time.

Think pizza delivery job. You show up, and say you're ready to go. Even high-professional positions work best the same way.

Identify 30 or 40 target companies. Invest good research making sure those are the ones that would best fit you.

Keep pinging those companies. Dan Miller suggests three pings to a _specific person_ in the company: 1) Introduction letter with no resume, 2) Cover Letter and Resume, 3) Phone Call to follow up. Technical companies, though have been bombarded with this "sales technique", generally don't like this, and have in some instances set up a policy banning people for life who do this. But almost all are responsive to honest, repetitive pings of some kind, you can easily judge what is best.

Stay in the driver's seat. Never "just wait for a call", never "just request a call". "I look forward to your call", no. Do stuff. Tell them what to expect from you. "I will forward you my resume in the next week." "I will call you on the morning of 8/15".

A resume ONLY wets the appetite of an employer. It gets a 40 second look, and its job is done.

Your ultimate goal is getting an _interview_. You sell yourself here, the real decision is made here. Remember that the interview is a two-way process, you're trying to find a company that is good enough for _you_. I've personally frustrated myself by ignoring red flags that tell me the company is a hack-job programming shop, only to get fired only a few months after. They see a single object instance, and just get pissed that I'm "wasting time just to make my code readable to other programmers" when I could just be copy-pasting SQL queries on each page where they need to be. My goal to "just get money until the next better job" through a programming job has backfired twice. Now I make sure, if they don't ask me to see my code, I ask for theirs. If they don't ask about my way of solving problems, I ask them. If it's an e-commerce company, I ask how they process credit cards, my last two companies were e-mailing them.

Anyway, 48 Days is a great $19 investment (I know I know, shipping, maybe it's faster to drive to the store).

If you "just need money" to stay afloat, heck, quit whining and start delivering pizzas tomorrow. I'm going to the car dealerships tomorrow, I got fired from the 50-SQL copy shop last week. Don't take retail jobs at the mall, take jobs with.. uh.. money. Pizza delivery is good tips, I heard car salesman get okay comissions once in a while, and both you can quit with no consequence for no notice.
                              -- Shroom
                              I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X