Online degrees help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online degrees help

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice in reguards to education and online degrees. The harsh sense of reality has come and slapped me across the face and I have realized that I am not doing what I should be doing to support my family. I went house shopping this weekend and let me put it this way there was nothing close to what my wife and I were looking for in our price range. I have a house now but it is small and we are busting at the seems with 2 kids. I work for Fedex but they just don't pay that well.

I am looking to maybe go back to school :icon_eek: It's been a long time since I last attended a class and I will be honest if I do this and not chicken out it scares the living hell out of me. I was never a big fan of school and the dedication it took. Odviously look where that has gotten me :row__687:

I have no idea what type of degree I should work towards or what would be good for my families future. Any advice in determining this would be great or an other advice I would appreciate. I am looking to maybe do an online degree at Rio Salado CC. Seems to be a good and espected online facility but I just don't know where to start or questions to ask so I am asking you guys for help and guidence in this matter. Thanks
    sigpic

Re: Online degrees help

I JUST started looking into similar things last night. Best thing I came up with in my limited poking around the internet is The Sloan Consortium
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

In addition to the usual places that have the 'get your degree here' ads on TV, check with the usual state univerisity and colleges. Some offer programs like this one - by the best university on earth.

If it helps any, I went over 10 years post high school until I continued a 4-year degree.. then I went on and got 3 different degrees from 3 different colleges and I have the intention of persuing a Masters soon. I was a lot like you in my scholastic endeavors.. then I got the right programs at the right colleges.. now I LOVE IT!!
      sigpic

Comment

I've been toying with the idea of taking some online courses, too. I'm interested in the absolute cheapest regionally accredited school out there. I'm not very interested in the "quality" of education, as I work with graduates of some of the "best" schools in the nation and I know how relative the term "education" is...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          I've been toying with the idea of taking some online courses, too. I'm interested in the absolute cheapest regionally accredited school out there. I'm not very interested in the "quality" of education, as I work with graduates of some of the "best" schools in the nation and I know how relative the term "education" is...

It's relative to the learner - not the school. Hooking up with a major, named university or college has it's advantages though. All the one I know of treat you the same regardless of how you got your degree from them. I used the evening college program at Eckerd College and only went there 2 nights a week.. but I have full access to the campus resources as an alumni.. and they have an awesome aquatics and boating program!

Speaking of which.. it's getting darn near sailing time again! :D
          sigpic

Comment

I don’t think they have online degrees for stripping Drizzid, all you need to know is where the play button on your boom box is and which side shows your junk the best when you shake it. Your biggest dilemma will be trying to figure out what your show name is going to be…lol just kidding man! It’s awesome that you’re considering getting your degree. What field of study are you planning to get into?

BTW-I’ve got a cousin who works for FedEx in Southern California and loves it. It’s back breakin’ work but the money he earns in So Cal is pretty good I hear. It’s no coincidence that Cast Away is one his favorite movies.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
              I donít think they have online degrees for stripping Drizzid, all you need to know is where the play button on your boom box is and which side shows your junk the best when you shake it. Your biggest dilemma will be trying to figure out what your show name is going to beÖlol just kidding man! Itís awesome that youíre considering getting your degree. What field of study are you planning to get into?

BTW-Iíve got a cousin who works for FedEx in Southern California and loves it. Itís back breakiní work but the money he earns in So Cal is pretty good I hear. Itís no coincidence that Cast Away is one his favorite movies.

I have been shopping for a brass pole but those things are expensive Norcal that's why I need to get a degree so I can afford the pole :)

To be honest I don't really know Norcal, I might consider something in Business or Communications. Communications might work because I never shut up according to my wife but I have no idea what kind of job you can get with a degree in Comms.

Fedex isn't a bad company but it takes to long to make any kind of money with the company. I've been with them for 7yrs and I am barely making it. My wife works also and we live a very modest lifestyle with only one car payment and my mortgage which is at interest only for the time being and we are struggling. We went house shopping and the housing market here has been going nuts and it is in a bit of a lull right now but I still don't think we can find something to better suit our family.

Oh well sorry to ramble
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                I have been shopping for a brass pole but those things are expensive Norcal that's why I need to get a degree so I can afford the pole :)
                I hear you on that broÖlol.

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                To be honest I don't really know Norcal, I might consider something in Business or Communications. Communications might work because I never shut up according to my wife but I have no idea what kind of job you can get with a degree in Comms.
                Communications is very broad and exciting- you could learn media/broadcasting, television, radio, public speaking, reporting the news, etc. Business is cool too especially if your going to have your own start up, Iíd definitely follow Baneís advice in the small business thread and keep a day job if possible and learn the inís and outís of whatever your doing before you jump into it. Have you considered doing something in Real Estate? Itís still a hot market (although its simmering) around the country and I think you can get licensed with online courses.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach View Post
                  I hear you on that broÖlol.

Communications is very broad and exciting- you could learn media/broadcasting, television, radio, public speaking, reporting the news, etc. Business is cool too especially if your going to have your own start up, Iíd definitely follow Baneís advice in the small business thread and keep a day job if possible and learn the inís and outís of whatever your doing before you jump into it. Have you considered doing something in Real Estate? Itís still a hot market (although its simmering) around the country and I think you can get licensed with online courses.
                  Real Estate is saturated here in AZ. When the housing boom started everyone jumped into that field and now they are a dime a dozen. I am mostly looking for a degree that will help me get a better paying job. Like a corporate manager of some sort. Although I would love to have a business of my own I wouldn't know where to start and don't have the financial resources to do something like that. I mean a city job managing Tennis on the city level you can make $98000.00 a year but you need a degree to do it which doesn't make sense to me but neither does a lot of things
                  sigpic

Comment

Management Information System would be a solid degree to look into. You'll learn both business and technical skills so you a good variable of where to look when applying for new jobs. One thing to remember is that you dont necessarily have to work in the field you majored in or else there would be no shortage of authors or english teachers for the number of people who have majored in English. A degree shows an employer your commitment, work ethic and desire to learn and improve yourself. Except for the technical heavy fields (Engineering, Economics, IT) you dont necessarily need to major in a specific area to succeed.

Comment

^^^^ What he said. MIS is my main degree that I used the most of.. now I manage Engineers mostly.. poor things... ;)
                      sigpic

Comment

I did my college online and found it so much more rewarding (easier). I took 4 years of Information Management Systems from the University of Maryland and Strayer University. What I seemed to find out were a couple keys points to look out for when you pick any school. See what type of online classes they offer. Usually there are two types: Asynchronous and Synchronous. Synchronous means that you attend online course at certain times of the week online, usually in some type of chat room. This was real hard for me working full time and still trying to make class, even though it was on my own computer. Where as Asynchronous means that you get weekly projects (homework) that is due on a certain day, usually Sundays. You really are not required to be online at certain times for anything, but you have to have some discipline to set aside time to do your work.
                        Another thing I noticed was that for some ungodly reason the public universities were cheaper, but the workload was allot harder. Whereas with a private school you literally just have to make an effort and they pass you, but they are traditionally more expensive.
                        As for a degree, in today’s society it really does not matter what you have the paper in, just as long as you have one!!
                        Good luck!
                        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

If I may make a suggestion and look into some courses at the local JC (Jr. College). Take a class or two in something that may interest you. JC's aer a great place to start in on an educational career and it is generally dirt cheap. I just finished up w/my schooling, and it took me about 7-8 years for a 4 year degree. I wasted a lot of time partying etc. before I got my head out my @$$ and wisened up. If you like reading and using maps/gps, I suggest looking into any GIS (Geographic Info. Systems) courses, it's an awesome field that's fairly new (late 80's) and the tools you use for GIS is appreciated by just about any field.

I encourage you to take a look at this site and see what it may offer you. It may give you some direction as to something to study and work for. I got my degree in Geography w/an emphasis on GIS and the Environment. Good luck man!!

GIS.com - Your Internet Guide to GIS
                          |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                          [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I still say you should look online for stripping courses...chip and dale dancers make a lot of money...or so I'm told.

Comment

Oh, and FYI, two years ago when I looked into this, Kaplan College was the cheapest online bachelor's program from a regionally accredited school.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X