• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL vs NCAA

20 Reasons College Rules
    20 Reasons the NFL Rules
    NFL vs NCAA

Always a good debate. I guess I like college football better. The biggest thing is the atmosphere. College games are almost like european football matches. Band music trumps PA music anyday. Yes you get your Powerhouse vs Cupcake games but the rivalry games in college have so much more electricity and excitement than any of the NFL rivalries not to mention the utter sweetness of rivalry trophies. I'd prefer to see a playoff system in College Ball have a 32 team playoff at the current bowl game locations and bring back the traditional bowl game names not the sponsored ones. The NFL playoffs are second to none in intensity except for the two weeks when the Red Sox and Yankees are battling it out for the AL penant (especially when the Red Sox comeback from being down 0-3 and win the series. Sorry Drunk, I had to mention it). But in the end we really dont need this arguement as college football has televised games on Thursday nights and all day Saturday while the NFL has its Sundays and Monday Night games leaving us with 4 days of football bliss.

Re: NFL vs NCAA

No contest. NCAA football wins hands down. The reasons you mentioned are spot on. Atmosphere, rivalries, and I'll throw in the fact players in the NFL switch teams every 4 years so there's no team continuity.

I'm not a big proponent of the playoff system unless it's determined to use 8 or less teams. Anything other than that and the excitement that the college football regular season has starts to depreciate. Part of what makes college football so awesome is that the regular season actually matters if you want to do anything int he post season.

Comment

I like college better to because of the atmosphere. I live pretty close to State College so I usually go see the Penn State games when my uncle cant go. The atomosphere before the game and during the game is just awesome.

A cool fall day, tailgating then going to the game might just be the best day ever.

Comment

Here's another reason for NCAA :)

Notice the Tennessee River in the background - where over 300 boats of all sizes will show up and tie up to each other on gamedays to create what we like to call the "Vol Navy". It's a big party.

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline View Post
          Here's another reason for NCAA :)

Notice the Tennessee River in the background - where over 300 boats of all sizes will show up and tie up to each other on gamedays to create what we like to call the "Vol Navy". It's a big party.

Kind of a dirty stadium dont you think...And yes college football rules my life until feb. Nothing like the BIG 10 going at it, well its like the BIG 4 now, rest of them just suck. OSU and Michigan is the biggest game of the year...no one can denie that.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

My real problem with the college is the powerhouse vs cupcake. Kansas State vs UMass is not going to be a close game in the 4th quarter it doesnt need to be played. Though UMass will lose, it does come away with a split in the profit from the game which is more than they would make against another 1-AA at home and maybe some experience against their toughest opponent of the year. Then you have the poll system. The media poll seems to be okay but the college coaches poll is out of whack because the coaches will vote favorably towards the teams they will/have played because it will obviously help their cause when the beat/lose to higher ranked teams. I am torn over the bowl game vs playoff because of "the season is the playoffs" but when you get 3 unbeatens and only two can play for the national title then something is off. But Colleges dont want to lose the cash crop of bowl games that also provide them with one more chance to shine on television before recruits commit in the following weeks. Maybe 32 teams may take away the "every game counts" but the 64 team spread doesnt hurt the college basketball scene and think of the gambling/office pool posibilities of a Fall Madness in College football.

Comment

NCAA also has Keith "Whoa, Nellie" Jackson.

Comment

Dirty?!?!

Trooper, you're gazing upon God's country!! :D

Aculle I agree with the big powerhouse vs. slippery rock debate. What's worse is when teams like K.State schedule ALL their non-conference opponents with cupcakes. But most respectable teams will take on some big name opponents in their non-conference schedule so I don't see this as such a hindrance to the college game. Hell, some of the NFL teams play like Division II teams somedays.

Comment

I think GOD moved his country, if not he should truely think about moving north.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

I am one of the few who prefer NFL but that is what I grew up with. I enjoy college football but I can't stand the politics that are involved in the NCAA and the bowl games. Auburn should have had an opportunity to play for the national championship and so should Cal a couple years ago when the only loss they had was against USC and shared national championships ! what ! are you kidding there is no shared anything when it comes to a national chanpionship it is one team and one team only.

There is no debating when it comes to the NFL you play you win or you lose that's it. I wouldn't want to have to wait for a stinkin poll to determine my teams fate.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post

I think GOD moved his country, if not he should truely think about moving north.

He didn't, and I don't think he will... haha :D j/k.

OSU's got great tradition and a great stadium. I'd love for UT and OSU to split and home and home series down the road sometime.

Comment

The most memorable highlight of my College Football rooting career happened here on a cold Fall afternoon in 1993 1 week after ND took the #1 spot after defeating FSU (another great game) Boston College came in and after a rollercoaster of a 4th Quarter kicked a last second field goal to beat ND 41-39. I will never forget that game (it helps having it on tape and it still gives me the chills). ND and BC no longer play against each other but its games like that where you can be 6-5 but if you beat a top tier team and spoil their season then it makes up for all the loses. In the NFL there is no #1 team until after the superbowl.

Mel Kiper's Stadium picks
                        college stadiums

Comment

NCAA, hands down. I agree with one of the articles saying that NFL offenses are too similar. Give me variety and 'weirdness' any day.

And since I'm a Univ of Texas alumnus I'm kind of partial towards my school ;)
                          Hook'em Horns \m/

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

NCAA ALL THE WAY!

One of the things about NCAA is that not every player is great or even good. Even the great teams have weak spots. A good coach can take advantage of this. And a team that plays like a team has the best chance.

In the NFL it feels like you have a bunch of individuals playing with each other. That can be fun to watch but doesn't inspire loyalty.

I do want a playoff system. I think the top sixteen teams should play for the national championship. Every game of the regular season would still be important. The problem with the current system is that a team which finishes really strong doesn't have a chance.

I think it would help the current situation where the out of conference games are gim-me’s for the most part. When you get down in the rankings allot of times it is strength of schedule that puts a team at 16 instead of 17.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I like NCAA more but I don't like the BCS ratings and the bowl system. Playing #1 vs. #2 is stupid. Some of the teams play the easiest teams so they can get into the National Championship. NFL is poor, because it revolves too much around a money making scheme. Players are so over rated on how much they get paid.
                              XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X