Anyone live in New York City?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone live in New York City?

I'm going to New York next month for just a weekend (cousin's wedding) and just wondered if anyone lives there and/or could tell me where are the places to hit. Mind you I'll only have one full day of cliche tourist duty. We're going to hit the WTC site and Times Square but not sure what else we're doing. I'm sure there are tons of places to go. Anything that stands out? What are some good places to eat? If I wanted a good pizza or even burger where can I go?

I've never been there so I'm looking forward to it alot. I don't know, I just wanted to know if it stands up to all the hype it gets.

Re: Anyone live in New York City?

I work and live in the city 9 months of the year.

Here are the usual tourist places:
    -Times Square
    -WTC
    -Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island
    -Empire State Building (top)
    -Canal Street

If you want to follow the typical tourist day I would probably recommend Times Square, WTC, and going to the top of the Empire State Building (only if the day is good and it is worth going to the top).

I work right next to the WTC and use the Path to get their everyday. If you plan to go check it out, I would going to the station (take the stairs) for some artwork and a better glimpse at the construction pit.

Food wise, I cannot help you. Since I dont eat meat I am not sure where the best burger places are. And with Pizza, the best Pizza place (Grimaldi's) in the city is in Brooklyn just next to the Brooklyn Bridge. I would suggest it, but the line is usually an hr long (outside) and you would be wasting time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The only disclaimer I have is that I have lived outside and in the city for a long time and I probably dont know what the "wow" factor is for tourists. You might have to ask other tourists what they liked best about the city because there are a thousand and one things you can do.

Comment

You can also go visit king kong's crib and wall street is also a good choice. You only have 1 day, so you can't really do a lot.
      Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah it sucks that I really only have maybe one night and then one full day. We're leaving early on a Thursday and it's about 7-8 hour drive. As I said WTC and Times Square we're definitely going to see, but other than that I'm sure we'll just wing it.

Hey DrunkenSoul what exactly is Canal Street? Obviously a street huh, but what's on it. A bunch of shops? Is that where they sell all the fake merchandise? My sister loves all those knock off purses because she says they look exactly like the real thing.

Comment

Canal Street is the name of a street where people go and buy fake merchandise (wallets, purses, watches, sunglasses, dvds). If you plan to go and want to purchase Louis Vuitton or high end fake designer bags, they arent on Canal Street, but people will ask you if you want to buy them and then they will take you 2 blocks away to some random store and then in some locked up closet with 100's of purses.

Comment

Make sure to eat some NY style pizza. Get a beef frank to.

Comment

Museum of Sex.

Seriously.
              |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

The best burger place in the city is at the Corner Bistro. Get there early if you don't want a long wait. It's a small joint in Greenwich Village, 331 West 4th St, on the corner of Jane and 4th, I think.

Any pizzaria in Little Italy should be good, goto Canal and Mulberry St. and walk north on Mulberry. If you want a italian food in a restaurant setting, try Patsy's, 246 West 56th st.

Canal st. is by Chinatown; really, it runs through Chinatown. There's some good cheap food there and Little Italy is to the north a few blocks. It also intersects with W. Broadway if you walk east from Chinatown; and if you walk a few blocks north on W Broadway, you're in Soho.

Taxi will probably get you around quickest, since you're only here for a day.

Comment

Check out the museums and stuff, those are always neat. Depending on when you're going and how much stuff you want to pack into that one full day, you might want to see a play on Broadway. Spamalot's pretty good.

Comment

Rockefeller Center is good for shopping - you can see the Nintendo store and museum. Also The Top of the Rock for a bird's eye view of mid-town.

If you can get to it, I recommend the Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

Most of the good museums really take more than a day to go through; at least, they'll take up a good portion of a day to be worth the trip. Since you're only going to be site seeing for a day, it's probably not worth the time to goto a museum - but really that's up to you. If you do go, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is good, 1000 5th Ave at 82nd Street, on the east side of central park. And, Moma, the Museum of Modern Art is also very good, 11 West 53 st, between 5th and 6th ave.

Dinosaur BBQ is very good, but you really have to come to the original one here in Syracuse. :p

Comment

So many places so little time.....

Seriously thanks for all of the information.

Comment

I used to live a few blocks from Rockafeller Center/Times Square/etc.

If I had a single afternoon to spend in the city with someone who'd never been there, I'd hit some of the shops on 5th up around 50th (Steuben especially), and take a stroll through Central Park. I'd enter the park at the 5th and 59th corner and angle NW up to the Strawberry Fields area.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                            Dinosaur BBQ is very good, but you really have to come to the original one here in Syracuse. :p
                            Preach on, brother! I miss that place.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

I grew up in NYC. I moved to Houston a few years ago. It looks like your day is full with touristy stuff. Maybe at night you can check out some music.

JAzz Smalls / Fat Cat Jazz Clubs -- Home Page
                              Smalls
                              They open at 10 pm and close at 6 am or so. Its 10 bucks. And you can serve yourself tea and coffee. There is no alcohol. The players there are the best in the city and come to play after their money gigs. I have seen Max Rouch drop in as well as Cecil taylor.

The punk capital of the world. They don't have the best bands every night, but it's a part of history. And will be closing down soon.
                              CBGB Online - Home of Underground Rock

If your not into music Broadway shows are usually good.

For me good pizza and great pizza in NY is pretty close. And good pizza is everywhere but the tourist places. For great pizza your going to have to trek.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X