So, car advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, car advice?

Heh, I think this gets asked a lot but well, I figure since I'm in need of it I thought I might ask you guys for help.

Recently I was in a car accident. I was driving a 95' Cadi Deville; he was driving some 03' KIA something or another (think a compact-mid sized sedan). Oddly enough, the KIA managed to cause $14,000 in damage to my Cadi. I caused minor bumper damage to his. Weird eh? Well, due to some annoyances with Geico, they wouldn't help replace my car, so now I need to look at getting a new one.

Currently I'm having to wait till I can find a new job (being that no car meant no way to reach work so having to find work along the route my fiancé' takes to work), but I'll be looking to be a used car. I need something that's economic and will last at least a year or four without needing too many repairs (I know, things happen, but at least something that's known to last). I also need something big enough for me (I am a larger guy). I've been driving my girlfriend's Cadillac something-TX, not sure which one just know that's it's just a little too small for me. I don't know if I need such a large sedan as the Deville was, but something between the two ranges would work fine.

It doesn't need passenger or cargo space, just good driver room really. I don't care if the used car is labeled luxury or not, it just needs to be able to move and not waste too much gas. I'm not looking for anything van or SUV like, although a stationwagon isn't too bad of an idea if it's not too pricy.

So, any advice?
    Last edited by nulloperations; 08-16-2006, 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling adjustment

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Re: So, car advice?

You should probably be looking at Sedans.

People could post all day about what they recommend, but here's what I think you should do:

Dig around auto-sites looking for cars you like that get decent gas mileage. Make a list of possibles, then go test drive them. There's no better way to make sure you "fit" in a car.

On a side note: the new VW Beetle is a pretty good performer. My sister owned one, and her boyfriend could fit in it fine. If that doesn't sound like a big deal: he's 6'7" 300+ pounds and used to play professional football. That man doesn't fit in ANYTHING.

I got the car for a bit after my mom gave my sister her Jeep. Sure, it's a little fruity, but it got 30+ mpg and could corner like like crazy. I would have actually kept it if it hadn't been dark-blue with a purple tint to it.

Comment

Infiniti G35 ;)
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

<3 my Subaru Impresa. Pretty good gas economy. Lots of space (I'm 6'4", 230 lbs.) and one of the more fun things I've ever driven.
        Do or do not, there is no try....
        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I have 2 toyota corolla's and have been very happy with them. Both get around 35mpg if you don't get on it too hard.
          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
            Infiniti G35 ;)
            Haha, my brother has one. Yeah I'm sure he can afford that.

Comment

I would recommend a corolla or maybe something like a VW passat or jetta. My roomate's have a passat and they are 6'7" and ~6' (married couple). They fit into it fine. Good mileage also!
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

I've always heard that the Diesel Jettas get outstanding gas mileage. don't know if it's true or not but it might be worth looking into.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

look into a ~1998 - ~2002 sentra or 200sx. the 98 200sx I had was great. 40 mpg, great little sporty ride, dependable, solid.

it should run you about 2995.00 for a 98 sentra with ~80000 - 100000. the engine is usually good for 180000 or so. I had a friend who totalled his @ 230000, with nothing wrong with the engine.

another suggestion would be a new caliber.... awesome little car.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

As 2 others said... a corolla is never a bad option. Toyotas are great cars that hold their value probably better than any other car. I have a RAV4 myself but that's probably not something you would need.

I would also check out the Yaris. Only problem is, it's brand new to the states so you probably aren't going to find one used for the price you are looking for. And besides the 40 mpg... it may be too small for you. My wife and I test drove one and almost bought it but ended up going with the RAV4.

That's the biggest draw back about Toyotas. They are small... mostly built in Japan where the people are smaller on average and that still seems to be passed on in the design of most of their vehicles.

()

Comment

Medium - new suggestion (sorry I didn't see this until now). OK.. DON'T laugh.. nevermind.. laugh all you want.. but the low- mileage base PT Cruiser is a GOOD deal, especially if you are looking to just be in it a year or two (IMO.. but most cars only last two years on me).

Other than it's trendy 'chick' looks (but the chicks DIG it), it's got zippy gearing.. TONS of room inside (the outside fools ya) and they are easy to maintain. The base holds it's resale pretty good.. because, well.. they can't get much lower to begin with.

It'll hold ya 'till you are ready for something more substantial. Some other suggestions heard around the forums: RAV4, Civic, tC, Ranger, FJ Cruiser, Rabbit (is back), A4/Jetta, and on.. and on..

The only thing I would say that I wouldn't buy ever again is a Saturn - No offense to Saturn owners.. just not for me, unfortunately though, many of the issues I experienced (although to a lesser extent) with the Saturn were also in my other GM vehicles.. and that is pretty souring in all.. but that’s just me.
                      sigpic

Comment

If I may suggest....

The Toyota Matrix. Since so many people suggested the Corolla, the Matrix may fit for you since it's pretty roomy and runs off a Corolla base. My brother fits in mine (he's ~6, 200 lbs.). It doesn't get quite as good mileage as the Corolla, but it's definately got more space. You can get a basic one for about $15k. You can get one with lots of fun options for $20k. Holds its retail value real well, too (the used ones I looked at were only $1,500 cheaper for a one-year old car with 30,000+ miles on it).

Plus, it looks cool.

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                        TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                        ||

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                          Some other suggestions heard around the forums: RAV4, Civic, tC...
                          Woah... hold the phone! :) My wife and I had one for a year and a half. This car is not for small people. Not. Period. That's actually why we upgraded to the RAV4 and my wife and I are both short.

()

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy View Post
                            Woah... hold the phone! :) My wife and I had one for a year and a half. This car is not for small people. Not. Period. That's actually why we upgraded to the RAV4 and my wife and I are both short.

Ahh.. true, true.. (if you meant not for +large+ people). I think the Civic is rated pretty good on the interior as is the VW Beetle and the Nissan Versa, but not the tC.
                            sigpic

Comment

About to go to bed, so I didn't read thru all the replies. When I was 16 I got a 93ish Toyota Corolla. I was getting 30 mpg in town and nearly 45 on the highway. It was raggedy, and it really sucked as far as "a nice ride" goes, but it was definately economic, even for it's age. It was priced at about 650 bucks when I bought it, used of course.

I didn't take good care of it, and I put it thru some MAJOR hell being 16-18, but it lasted me two years and I didn't change the oil ONCE. Eventually, the Exhaust Manifold overheated or something, and a bunch of molten metal objects fell out from beneath my car at about 60 mph, making a HUGE noise and coming to a screeching hault. But I gotta give those foreigners credit, that car lasted me 2 years with no upkeep, repair, or money put into it besides gas. I bought it with about 135k miles on it, and it broke down at about 220k, somewhere around that atleast.

It was a damn good car, and if I'd taken care of it, it'd still be running today. Actually, it'd probably out live all of us, and our children if taken care of.

Edit* Going back and reading over the other posts, I realised a bunch of people said the Corolla. Like above stated, it's not very roomy (I looked rather stupid being 225 pounds, 6' tall, in such a small car), but it's definately worth it's pricage, even the brand new ones. 06 Corolla's advertise about 30 mpg, but probably get anywhere from 40-45, if driven right. I'm assuming since you're going to work you're going to be driving in town, so you're probably going to get around 35-40 with an older model, as the older ones are less heavy. As far as "putting it through hell" goes, let's just say our fair grounds in town has gravel parking lots, and donuts are VERY fun in a car, especially with 4 wheelers pushing you in circles. Ice is fun when the speedometer reads 75 mph, and the car is at a standstill. I even took it off road a few times, and it never got stuck. Toyota's in general are damn good vehicles, but I'd definately reccomend the Corolla over any other car they make.

(Someone above mentioned that the Corolla gets good gas mileage if you don't get on it too hard. When I would leave my driveway getting on to the road, I'd keep the pedal to the floor. The car didn't have much horsepower, but it would pull itself well, and still give me 30+ mpg.)

-Mom
                              Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X