WOOT Im going to ireland!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOOT Im going to ireland!

Hey all you Irish TGers, you know any good night spots in or near Dublin?

Ill be heading there late november to stay for a week (including seeing TOOL in concert) as a late honeymoon.

Itll be my first overseas trip and im pretty damn excited.

Re: WOOT Im going to ireland!

I'm not at all from Ireland, but I bet pretty much the whole of dublin will suit your needs :) it's got that reputation eh. Have a good trip!

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
      Hey all you Irish TGers, you know any good night spots in or near Dublin?

Ill be heading there late november to stay for a week (including seeing TOOL in concert) as a late honeymoon.

Itll be my first overseas trip and im pretty damn excited.
      Tool isn't really my kind of music but I do respect thier 15 minute long songs. I've never been to Ireland before so I can't help you with that. Just watch out for Leprechauns.

Comment

You suck. I have always wanted to go to Ireland.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

I really meant to post this in the General, general disscussions forum........

Originally posted by 0b1one View Post
          Just watch out for Leprechauns.
          LOL, i wonder if theyll elt me bring my shotgun on the plane if i tell them its for "Anti-leprachaun" defense?

And yeah, TOOL isnt my fav band either but hey, its a concert.

Comment

Guinness brewery.. where else do you need to go?
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

Yeah, go to St. James Gate. Free Guinness. Lots of it.

Just be warned: NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES KISS THE BLARNEY STONE.

I have two cousins that both live in Cork and have themselves and have witnessed others sneaking into the castle after hours (one of my cousins works security there now and he lets kids in just as they were let in) and go up to the "well" (its not really a well, just kind of a strange gap at the top of one of the towers where the stone was placed) and pee on the stone, then intentionally go on tours the next day with tourists just so they can laugh at the poor saps that kiss it.
              Other than that, have a blast. Its a beautiful country and lots of fun.

Comment

I lived for a stretch in Booterstown a suburb of Dublin. Let me know how long you'll be staying in the Dublin area / Ireland and what your Ireland itenerary is and I can hook you up with a laid back or wicked packed tour schedule.

I guess you'll be seeing TOOL ar The Point? It's a great venue. Great band too...
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I am way laid back itenerary type person.....if im on vacation i dont ever way to feel rushed...

so....other than the guinness brewery (i WILL be going there...maybe twice lol)
                  any suggestions on cool places to go?

everyone goin will be 21 plus (dont know what the drinking age or whatever is there)

a couple o romantic type ideas probly wouldnt hurt for when the new wifey and i part with the rest of the group and have some time alone

another thing is.....how much of a hassle is it to get to london fome dublin with no car? is it worth a day trip?

Comment

Drinking age in Ireland is the top of the counter rule. If you can see over the top of the counter, you can drink. ;) Not really, it's 18. But like the traffic laws in Ireland, that's just a suggestion.

London to Dublin without a car is a no go. Heck, I wouldn't even do it with a car. At least for a day trip. What I would do as a day trip (or two-day trip) is take the ferry from Dun Laoghaire (Dun Leary) to Holyhead in Great Britain and back again. Duty Free, ocean views, lots of booze, and the best fish and chips on the Isles is in Holyhead. The trip is also fairly inexpensive as far as day trips go.

In Dublin, I would hit up Grafton Street and St. Stephens Green (the major shopping/sight seeing area). There is also Fleet Street and Temple Bar (the hipster theater/music scene) also on the south side of the River Liffey. Also, while you're there be sure to check out the pubs and sights around Trinity College (such as the Library and the Book of Kells). The tourist office JUST W-SW of Trinity college and is your best bet to find info for touristy type things to do. And, really, Ireland is an OK place to do touristy things. Even kissing the Blarney Stone to secure your gift of the gab (which is not pissed on during the night, I can tell you -- some friends tried and damn near got arrested... I may or may not have been there, and we may or may not have actually pissed on the stone, there are conflicting reports) ;) Also S. of Trinity College is the National Museum and Library (a good place to visit).

West of the College is Dublin Castle (kinda a stiff place to visit, but an interesting castle none the less) and Christ Church Cathedral (must see). Also, much further west is where you'll find The Guinness Storehouse also called the St. James Gate Brewery. Where The Dude imbibes. It really is a complex and is hard to miss, you'll find plenty of pamphlets for it's location at the tourist office. A few minutes south of Christs Curch Cathedral is St. Patrick’s Cathedral, another absolute must see. Further West along the River Liffey is Houston Station, the main E-W large rail connection in Dublin. You can get tickets to Galway there. If you have an interest in visiting the Cliffs of Moher (702 ft. and a breathtaking view of the Atlantic) and The Burren (awesome karst topography) near Galway, this is where you'll buy the tickets. Admittedly this would be more like a three day excursion from Dublin to do it justice.

Looking at this on Google Earth brings back memories... I used to work a model shop on Hawkings St. in the City Center...

Anyway, there is LOTs to do in City Centre. Theater, opera, indy music scene, pubs galore (but overpriced imho), natural history, architecture, museums, shopping, etc. Dublin City Centre can be done in about four days and is an excellent place to get over jet-lag.

Outside of Dublin you have the west, south, and north. The west is a whole trip altogether separate from anything you would do in Dublin, unless you're spending a few weeks in Ireland (it’s the rest of the damn country! ;)). Like I said, Galway is available at the cost of about three days, but it is well worth it IMO (rent a car in Galway to get to nearby sites to significantly reduce that time to two days). Also to the west is the Ring of Kerry (a tour of the County Kerry / Dingle peninsula). This is the Kentucky / Arkansas of Ireland, but is beautiful beyond description. This is a week excursion.

North of Dublin near Drogheda is Newgrange, an ancient megalithic tomb on the Boyne, built before the Egyptians were thinking about civilizing. This is a very good day excursion and you should consider it. Go any further north and your entering two to three day events.

South of Dublin is the only trip I am going to tell you you have to take. This is not an optional trip, this is a trip you have to make if you’re in Ireland. :) And that is a trip into County Wicklow, in the Wicklow Mountains to Glendalough (Glendalock). This is by far the most beautiful and easily accessible trip from Dublin. It so impressed my father, it is where he has requested his final resting place be. There are two lakes at Glendalough, numerous hiking trails, ancient Irish history abounds as well as Irish monastic history. It’s very peaceful and probably very romantic. It’s about two hours to get there from Dublin.

Near Glendalough is Powerscourt Estate and Japanese Gardens and the Powerscourt Waterfall (where my brother chased a dumb sheep over a 100m cliff). You’d recognize Powerscourt Estate and Gardens (in Enniskerry) as the Estate used in the 2002 film the Count Of Monte Cristo. It’s quite a nice place to visit (also romantic if I’m a judge).

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. If you want to know anything specific, just ask.
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Rincewind for teh win.

For those who haven't met him. Rince has red hair, a beard, and wears green lederhosen and a green top hat.

He's also about 6'4" so he gets some funny looks.

Comment

I lived in Limerick for 2 and a 1/2 years, I haven't the faintest idea where you would go for nightlife, as I was a wee lad when I lived there. The Cliffs of Moore are spectacular, you absolutely have to see them.
                        The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                        #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                        83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
                          I lived in Limerick for 2 and a 1/2 years, I haven't the faintest idea where you would go for nightlife, as I was a wee lad when I lived there. The Cliffs of Moore are spectacular, you absolutely have to see them.
                          Gotta love The Cliffs of Insanity. Easily accessable from Galway as I mention above :)

And to finally answer your question about night spots: Some clubs and raves apear to be located on upper (north) O'Connel street in City Centre north of the River Liffey. However, all of my carousing at night happened in Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock (South Dublin) both of which have excellent night pubs and clubs in their town centres.

Comment

Wow, your previous post pretty much sums this all up...ill be using quite a bit of that info for making plans....thank you!

ps i also read discworld.....pretty much my favorite series of books ever.

Comment

Show your wife the post, then let her decide. Thaat would be the ultimate in hands-off, laid back planning :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X