Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Wii to launch Nov. 19/ PS3 still troubled by Blu-ray

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...intendo14.html

In a move that may allow Nintendo of Japan to take advantage of stumbles by its main rival, the company plans to announce today that it will release its new Wii video-game console in North and South America on Nov. 19, just as the holiday shopping season begins, and that the machine will cost $250 in the United States....Nintendo executives said this week that the company also would announce today that more than 25 new games would be available for its video-game machine this year, a substantial portfolio from several genres that is intended to help the company broaden the appeal of its console. The company plans to ship 4 million of the Wii consoles worldwide this year....Today's announcement comes as Nintendo's main rival, Sony, has been forced to delay and scale back the introduction of its own game machine, the PlayStation 3, at least twice amid serious troubles with that company's new Blu-ray Disc technology.
    Last week, Sony said that the PlayStation 3 would not be introduced in Europe until 2007 and that it would ship millions fewer units worldwide this year than it had promised. The top version of the PlayStation 3 is expected to cost around $600....Nintendo intends to announce today that every Wii will come with a game compilation called Wii Sports -- including tennis, golf, baseball and bowling -- meant to show off the machine's intuitive controls.

(Most consoles, including Nintendo's GameCube, do not come with games included.)

Nintendo plans to announce that 25 to 30 top-tier games will be available for the Wii this year.

The most-anticipated game comes from Nintendo itself: an installment of the long-running "Legend of Zelda" series, "Twilight Princess."

Nintendo also will deliver a driving game called "Excite Truck" this year but will likely provide a minor disappointment to gamers in saying the next version of the popular "Mario" franchise will not arrive until 2007.

Nintendo intends to charge $50 for its Wii games, $10 less than the standard price for Xbox 360 titles and the same price generally charged for GameCube games.

Top games expected to be introduced for the Wii this year from third-party publishers include a version of "Madden NFL" from Electronic Arts, the sword-fighting game "Red Steel" from Ubisoft of France, an addition to the "Sonic" action series from Sega of Japan and a "Tony Hawk" action-sports game from Activision.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Nintendo Wii to launch Nov. 19/ PS3 still troubled by Blu-ray

dumbest console name ever.

Comment

This console rocks and I'm going to buy it.

Comment

So why was the Revolution axed? If it can play video files from a network drive I will be in love too. But yeah I am gonna buy one.

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

I thought the revolution was the Wiii

Comment

I just want to play Zelda...

Comment

I am sooo getting it.
              Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I meant the Revolution name, damn slippy fingers. ;)
                [age-c1][command]

Comment

The Wii... Man i still dont feel confortable saying that, will hopfully be apart of my collection of Consoles. The PS3 is still up for debate depending on timeing/price.

(Does anyone else feel a flop coming from the Sony Corner?)
                  Oyee

Comment

I'm gonna have a hard time resisting one of these. I can't wait to play with my little Wii.
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I plan on getting a Wii. I plan on trying to get a PS3 if I can preorder one. It will then be offered for sale on eBay. I don't think that Sony is going to have a flop. I think that their console has enough advanced features that even if it were delayed for another year that it would still be cutting edge. I guess that depends on whether Blu-ray goes the way of the betamax or not, though...

Heh... Just found this link: http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm
                      The success of the PS3 will change the battlefields in this particular format war.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I am preordering ASAP. I don't know if I should get it from an etailer or go to like eb or something. I work from 3pm-11pm on that day.

Granted the shipping will probably be killer since it will be a whole console, games, and accessories.

I think this is the most games I am getting at launch but I am still waiting on a full launch list.
                        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

The PS3, with Blu-Ray included, is really pretty cool - if you have an HDTV to take advantage of it. If you can ever catch the 'watchmaker' demo at Best Buy, you'll get a glimpse of what this hardware is capable of. To my knowledge, most of the movies released for Blu-Ray thus far use crappy compression or something which makes the video less impressive - but the 'watchmaker' demo is amazing.

I'm looking forward to the Wii as well, looks very nifty.

But who am I kidding? I hate consoles.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Here's one -

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/14/te...gy/14game.html

"Nintendo is No. 3 in the console video game market, behind Sony and Microsoft. But while those competitors have largely focused on appealing to hard-core gamers, Nintendo is now trying to appeal to a broader audience."

I think this is a smart move on their part and if we get more people into gaming the better the games and better for the hobby. I'd like to own one, I can stack it on top of my Xbox!
                            |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                            "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                            - Check me out on The Onion
                            - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Lighten up on the name, guys! Think about how much fun it will be to ask your family if they've seen the Wiiiiii-mote!

|TG-Irr| ThePenguineer ::: |TG-Irr| Pengie the Noob
                              TG-Irregulars Commanding Officer
                              ||

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...