Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Gaming Index

Quoting from the Digg.com story about it,
    Created by the author of "Tactical Gaming Done Right", this is a list of games, mods, and websites focused on tactical computer gaming. It highlights a number of games that have made an impact in the tactical genre, to include a few that are actually entirely free to play. It should serve as a solid reference for anyone interested in the genre.
    Tactical Gamer is mentioned at the end, too.

If you'd like to check it out, you can find it here:
    http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=h...cal_index.html

If you have any suggestions for things to add to it, let me know.

If you'd like to help with the exposure of the previous Tactical Gaming Done Right article, you can do so by Digging it here.
    http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=h...ftactical.html

Re: Tactical Gaming Index

Originally posted by Bommando
    Your link takes you to an option to re-submit the story.

This is the correct link.

This should also probably be merged with the Digg topic to keep our Digg stories in one place.
    No, the links provided are the correct ones. If you would be so kind, edit out the link you placed there. Doing a direct link to a story on Digg frequently causes issues. Doing it the way I did it, on the other hand, does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
      No, the links provided are the correct ones. If you would be so kind, edit out the link you placed there. Doing a direct link to a story on Digg frequently causes issues. Doing it the way I did it, on the other hand, does not.
      Bommando's link worked. Yours requires an account login.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Bom's link worked. I'm supprized the TacMod didn't make it in there.

Comment

Have you tried to click your link? It is a link to submit the story, which has already been done, so it returns an error stating that it's a duplicate story when you are logged in and simply asks you to log in if you are not.

Directly linking to Digg stories doesn't cause problems at all. The story links are permalinks meaning that they are permanent. They don't change. Once you submit a story, you can't change the title, so the URL stays static.
          The link I provided is the correct one, as I said. The static link you're providing has a referrer attached to it, the one I provided does not. Digg is not a very nice site when it comes to referrers - if a lot come from a single place, it tends to kill the story, which is completely nonsensical, but that's how it is. If you're logged in, it brings you to the story, and you can Digg it from there. If you're not logged in, you don't see it, so perhaps I should have provided a 'normal' link, but that doesn't change the fact that the links I provided are the correct ones, and exactly what I intended to link to.

If you guys want to promote tactical gaming in your little Digg topic, you'd do well to keep what I've just said in mind. Posting a direct link to the story, and then having all the Diggs come from TacticalGamer, is going to make it so that said story never goes "live".

If you'd like to tell me I'm wrong again, feel free. :)

For those that don't have a Digg account and don't plan to Digg the story, use this link:
          http://dslyecxi.com/tactical_index.html

Comment

I think the problem is none of us are logged in so thats the error we get, im sure its different for you since you are already logged in.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Don't get defensive. The link you gave was a direct link to re-submit the story. I was already logged in and it returned an error because it thought I was trying to submit the story again. If that was your intention, then fine. It just didn't make sense to me to get someone to attempt to re-submit the story to remove the referrer.

If you are concerned about referrer links burying your story, then fair enough, but trying to circumvent the system with a method that's even more confusing didn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I didn't post to argue over the Digg algorithm or how we should be linking to stories, I just stated that your link returned an error and is misleading to people who don't know how Digg works.
              Fair enough. If this forum allowed you to edit an old post, I would've put the normal (direct to site) link there.

If I'd realized that people would be confused by the process used, I would've said something in advance. That's actually how you're supposed to link Digg articles. If you look through their FAQ's and such, it's the recommended method. It's not circumventing things, it's the method the site itself tells you to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dslyecxi View Post
                That's actually how you're supposed to link Digg articles. If you look through their FAQ's and such, it's the recommended method. It's not circumventing things, it's the method the site itself tells you to use.
                I find it highly unlikely they they would recommend linking to a page where you resubmit the same story instead of linking to the permalink page. I see nothing saying that in the FAQ.
                |TG| Lorian
                Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                  I find it highly unlikely they they would recommend linking to a page where you resubmit the same story instead of linking to the permalink page. I see nothing saying that in the FAQ.
                  Why are we arguing about this?

This document outlines the current way we allow partners and third parties to put "Digg This" and "Submit to Digg" links on their site. Our strategy is to bring both types of links to the story submission URL at Digg, which will allow a user to submit the story if it doesn't exist. If it happens to already exist, they will be able to see the story and digg it on our site. The formal API alternative is still in development, and when complete, will allow more direct integration with Digg's data.

The same method used on my site is the one I link here, because doing it the other way, as I've found out in the past, causes issues. If you would like to believe otherwise - fine, by all means, feel free. I'm doing it this way for a reason, and it's the way it's supposed to be done, and if you don't like that - fine. I'll avoid posting such things here in the future if the mere act of linking in a certain way causes problems.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X