Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You never know how much stuff you have...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You never know how much stuff you have...

I had no idea I could have this much crap crammed in to my 650sq ft apartment until I started getting rid of crap in prep for moving next Thursday. Take out a load to the dumpster, come back in thinking that I'm doing good, look around, and find a whole bunch more crap to get rid of. Pack up a couple boxes, look around, and it seems like all the stuff I've just packed has been replaced by more stuff! Been in the same place for 5 years now and it seems like I've been accumulating junk this entire time. Sigh.

Then, there's the unpacking at the new place! It'll all be over in a week.. it'll all be over in a week. Heh.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: You never know how much stuff you have...

Oh I know that feeling. My wife and I had a nice little 2-bedroom apt. many moons ago, and when we moved out, we had an overlap of almost a full month where we owned both the house and the apt. Me being mister smart-guy, I got friends to help with the move and as soon as we had the big stuff moved, I said "no worries guys, I have plenty of time to move the rest in my minivan".

3 weeks and 20 half-hour drives later, I had the rest of the stuff moved. :(

The next time I moved, I hired guys with a moving truck for the big stuff, and I had at least 8 friends over to move the rest. We had everything moved by noon, and my helpers proclaimed it the easiest move ever.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

The good thing about moving comes a bit afterwards...there's that 6 month period where everything in life is so organized you never have problems finding it...After that it's all down hill...If you could see the ****e packed into my little workshop in the cellar...you'd laugh a knowing laugh..

Good luck with the new digs
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Ugh, I hate moving. I had to move 5 times in one year once. Now I do everything I can to stay in one place as long as possible. I've never lived in one place for 5 years, since I was living with my parents, anyway...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This is the longest I've lived in one place.. Dad was in the Army, so we moved every 4 years as a kid, then a few times while in college (beer boxes in the back of a UHaul...) until I settled here to finish school and start life in the real world. The 45 mile commute is getting old, so I'm moving closer to work.. Sure will be nice only having to drive 3 miles to get to work on October 2nd!
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          | for | |

Comment

I hear ya. I've got a 54 mile (one way) commute. Unfortunately for me, my wife has opened up her own business in the town we live in... No moving for me.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The real test is moving into a smaller space than the one you're leaving. I did that this summer, and I hope never to do it again. I tried to dispose of 50% of my worldly possessions before going, but didn't quite make it to that goal. Some stuff, like books and sports equipment, will just have to stay packed for a while.

But then in 8 months I'll be moving again to Beantown, MA, into God-knows-what. I figure this time I'll just leave everything behind to my roommate and buy all new stuff. Yeah, I like that idea.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

Heh, I was planning on the new place just being like 750sq ft (smallest the complex offers), but some mixup this past week ended up with me being put in to an even larger apartment.. like 820sq ft. Ending up with a 25% bigger place.

Don't even need all of the 650sq ft I have though, so a smaller place wouldn't put me in too big of a pinch.. Between eating on the couch and eating at the computer, I can probably count the times my dining room has been used on my fingers and toes. Dunno what I'll do with the all the new space. Probably gather more junk to throw away the next time I move ;)

Speaking of which.. one roll of bubble wrap cost me almost $8 at Staples last night. If that isn't the biggest rip off ever! Glad I've been able to scrounge up boxes.

Cing, I've got a friend in a similar situation.. 50 mile commute and his wife runs a business a few miles from their house. He's been threatening to leave his job and find something closer for the entire 7 or 8 years that I've known him :p
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                | for | |

Comment

Moving might be one of the most aggrevating activity ever. Its like doing Fall/Spring cleaning x100. The past 5 years in college I was able to move everything in a couple of trips in my old grand cherokee. Then when it came down to moving to Florida I was expecting an easy packing, I even bought boxes instead of using random bags, beer boxes and milk crates. Well some how I ended up filling the entire Uhaul (medium size) as well as my pathfinder and still had random crap left over and thats not including the 4 years worth of books and a handcrafted beerpong table in the garage. In fact this thread has inspired me to go through my stuff and start throwing crap out seeing as I could be moving a few more times in the coming years.

Comment

I'll be doing that next weekend... as of now... I see a lot of crap to throw out... I need a truck :o
                    -

Comment

Ugh, more of it this morning. I'm about done with the throwing out phase and just have stuff to pack up. Computer ain't gettin packed till Thursday morning ;)

I have my great grandfather's gigantic oak desk.. Mom & Dad got it about 30 years ago and had it refinished. No pressed wood here folks - it must weigh 200 pounds. Beautiful piece of old furniture, but it's just too big to lug around and I'm too tall to fit at it properly. So, my cousin, also a great grandson, is coming to pick it up and take it to his house. I'm glad I was able to find a family member to take it because I felt like I'd be jinxed for the rest of my life if it left the family.

I've been paying my gas & electric bills through a 3rd party online bill pay service for several years now. Just registered on both their sites for the first time today, just to have the service disconnected :p
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      | for | |

Comment

We just moved last month. It wasn't so bad, we had almost everything packed up before the day of the move, except of course the computers. It was a very easy, no rush move, which for me is great. It's the first move I ever had where I wasn't being forced from my home, having to choose only a few things to go to the new place because there was no way to move anything else besides what I could carry. It was nice moving casually for once.

By the way, buy moving supplies at storage facilities, they are so cheap there.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          I hear ya. I've got a 54 mile (one way) commute. Unfortunately for me, my wife has opened up her own business in the town we live in... No moving for me.
                          Yeah, but do you get a take-home car? :p

Comment

i swear i am going to just burn all my stuff and start over next time i move. except my model trains:)

Comment

Having helped move my Theatre PhD friends no less than three times, I've made a vow only to move Nazis from now on, because they burn their books instead of letting that knowledge accumulate into heavy paper-based form.
                              [volun2]
                              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X