Tech Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Support

EDIT: Apparently this post was moved. It was intended for a different forum and a different demographic of TG. I wouldn't have used this form of post as an introduction to the "general" side of TG, sorry for the abruptness.

If anyone's ever dealt with tech support, they'll appreciate this.

Originally posted by Me
    Alright look, last week I spent 50 bucks on the Prophecies content to your game. I sit down to play it today at least 3 different times (many hours in between sessions) and the game is literally un-playable (by this, I don't mean "frustrating" I mean it can't be played.) because of lag. I can't attack, I can't zone, I can't even get my quest log to talk to my client some of the time.

I'm really trying to be reasonable here - but come on - why did I pay your company for content I can't use?

I play FPS games with good connectivity, and as I see it, they are FAR more demanding than an MMO like GW. I scan regularly. This is not a spyware problem. This is not a virus problem. This is in all likelihood not a hardware problem, but it could be. If it's hardware, then I fail to see why I'm able to render your game's visuals but unable to move around in them because my character is frozen in place because your servers won't give me my damn packets.

I'm sorry if this came off like a rant, but honestly, it seems ridiculous that I've paid for a product I can't use - and all I can figure out is that your servers are overloaded. And on my end, I can't see anything being done about it.

Is there anything I can do on my end to reduce this lag? Is there anything being done on your network guys' end, that I'm not seeing, that will fix this problem in the near future?

Thanks for your time.
    Originally posted by NCSoft
    Response (Carlos) 09/27/2006 09:15 AM
    Hello Customer,

Thank you for contacting Guild Wars Technical Support.

I would like to get more information regarding the status of your connection so that I may better investigate the cause. Guild Wars has a built-in network diagnostic utility. We ask that if you are using a router, hub, or switch, to first disconnect this device and connect directly to your modem before running this utility. You may have to reboot your modem and/or computer to reestablish your Internet connection.

Please perform the following steps.

1. Click Start and then click Run.

2. Click Browse and select your gw.exe program. It will be in "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars" by default. You can reach this through "My Computer" > "Local Disk C:" > "Program Files" > "Guild Wars".

3. The Run window should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe"

Modify the line in the Run window to read:

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -diag

4. Press OK to run the test.

You will see a small window that gives the status of the testing. Please wait for all of the tests to finish. When it is done, click Close. The test will create a new file in your Guild Wars folder (again, by default this is "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars") called NetworkDiag.log. Please update your incident and send us the NetworkDiag.log file as an attachment.

In the meantime we look forward to your response.

Thank you,
    Guild Wars Technical Support
    Originally posted by Me
    Nice troubleshooting app. I've taken the results that seemed anomolous and compiled them below. I'd rather not send you the whole app log (nothing personal, it's just a very exhaustive|intrusive app).

Before we worry about anything else in the log, can you please help me understand how to fix the following?

(Abridged Results of gw.exe -diag "NetworkDiag.txt")

========================
    = Checking server connectivity
    ========================

// About 100 lines of concisely compiled timeouts listed here
    Thank you again for contacting Guild Wars Technical Support. Unfortunately we did not receive all of the previously requested information. Please try to the best of your ability to provide us with as much as the previously requested information as possible. This will allow us to better assist you with this issue.

Regards,
    Guild Wars Technical Support
    Originally posted by Me
    You know, you might try actually answering my questions instead of sending me through a dozen layers of protocol.

The problem is resolved today with no changes on my end. This leads me to believe it was a problem with your servers that my second message would have diagnosed if you hadn't disregarded it.

Thank you Carlos, Dan and whoever it is reading this message now for your time in working to resolve this issue.
    Thank you for updating us. We are pleased that the problem has been solved. Feel free to contact us if you have any further problems with our game.

It's like talking to a #$%^& robot.
    Last edited by Slayer of Hippies; 09-28-2006, 10:54 PM.

Re: Tech Support

The internet is serious business

Comment

And no matter how much of a jerkoff the customer is, you ALWAYS treat him/her with respect and keep your cool. Let them loose their head, b/c at least there will be logs showing that and also showing you keeping your cool. If you loose your cool, you don't just loose your head with the rant, you could well loose your job if a complaint arises.

Customer support personnel talk like robots b/c often they need to in order to maintiain the illusion of politeness when in all honestly they'd like to reach through the connection and scream: RTFM!!!

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

While ignoring the fact that their servers are choked and they either can't or won't admit it.

It's not the niceness, it's the fakeness and arrogance that bothers me. If your servers have a problem you should stop and say "wait a minute, maybe that's what's going on" instead of blindly jumping into protocol with no concern whatsoever for what might really be going on.

You know if you're having a slow day with your server, that's not a big deal, but to patently ignore it when asked while trying to pass blame is just ridiculous.

Comment

Reminds me of the time I contacted VU about a problem I had with SWAT 3, I explained the error and was wondering if there were any fixes to the problem. Well I had received SWAT 3 with the pre-order of SWAT 4 and my ticket was sent to the wrong place or the person responding didn't understand because they replied to me with the fact that SWAT 4 was not released at the time and I shouldn't be having any problem because I did not have the game.

Then there is the time that I contacted EA about a problem with BF2 and the person that responded asked me for information that didn't have anything to do with the problem that I described, think it was a Crash to desktop problem and the person who replied for information about network connection or something like that.

This is why I prefer talking with people on the phone because I can actually explain what is going on and can tell them the results of tests automatically because I normally have already done them. If I can't get people on the phone I then like the IM style of support companies like Linksys have, normally you get someone who knows what they are talking about.
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

The mistake was mine. I contacted tech support for a problem that was likely not in their domain.

Despite that, I Did know the answer, and the fact that they refused to be of any help at all, until I provided them with an arbitrary protocol seems, to me, to be very poor customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
              The mistake was mine. I contacted tech support for a problem that was likely not in their domain.

Despite that, I Did know the answer, and the fact that they refused to be of any help at all, until I provided them with an arbitrary protocol seems, to me, to be very poor customer service.
              Actually they are providing good customer service because they have to take the point of view that the customer is lying or not giving the correct information.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

They did exactly the right thing. How far do you think you'd get working in tech support if every customer who called in with a problem had the authority to simply refuse to send you information they don't feel is relevant to fixing the problem? You have no way of knowing if the person on the other end has any of the knowledge neccessary to determine what you need. They shouldn't have to waste their time dealing with people who only send them partial logs; their time is better spent on customers who are willing to comply with instructions to get help. You may have been right about the info they needed, but they don't have the kind of resources to manually check every half-baked submission they get to see if it has what they need.

Comment

I sent them the timeouts from the log, I actually had made it easier for them and diagnosed the problem correctly.

My only complaint is that they refused to help at all (with data that was fully available) until I jumped through their hoops. But like I said, it was my mistake to contact tech support at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer of Hippies View Post
                    My only complaint is that they refused to help at all (with data that was fully available) until I jumped through their hoops. But like I said, it was my mistake to contact tech support at all.
                    You realize that these protocols are there to protect both you and themselves, not just because they feel like being jerks right? Suppose they decided to work off the partial information that you provided, and the problem actually was with something in the info that you omitted; say, that your network card was configured incorrectly. Now you have a complaint that they were working on the wrong thing. Suddenly his boss is wondering why he decided to drop protocol and F the whole thing up.

Protocols are there for a reason, whether you like them or not. Likely you would have gotten the actual help you were looking for and a quicker solution (maybe even an apology!) had you complied with their request. Look, I understand your frustration. Every time my internet connection at home goes out (often, recently), I reset my modem and do the ten dozen things the cable company usually has me do during a service call, and then I call them and let them know what I've already done. And, guess what? They tell me to do it all again as part of the protocol. And I do. And when I'm proven right, I don't gloat about it. Why? Because there's going to be that one time where I'm wrong, and copping a 'tude is gonna make me look the fool.

I work in IT, so I've seen things from both sides. I used to have the exact same attitude that you do about these things. Over time I realized that it didn't ever help me get a quicker solution. Just a bit of advice.
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

What was in the log that you felt violated your privacy?
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X