Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS recommendation needed

Hey All;

My last GPS (magellan eXplorist) broke today, so I'm looking at getting a new one. The Garmin eTrex Vista Cx seems to be a good compromise in being feature heavy with a reasonable price. I thought I would send a quick note prior to purchasing though, in case you guys had any other good models in mind.

What'chall think?

Dice.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: GPS recommendation needed

I don't have one, and couldn't tell you the difference between any of the models, but we've got some Garmins at work that are pretty sweet. For all I know, all the new GPS's do the same things that impressed me. The ones at work combine the GPS with mapping software, so it's like having Google Maps in your car, constantly updating your position.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have a Garmin 2610 which is a car unit andit is just awesome. I always wanted to get a handheld unit but I just haven't yet. With my experience with Garmin so far I will be buying another one.

Comment

dont people use maps and compasses anymore? navigation people, navigation!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
          The use them but not too often. Its much faster to use Map Quest, Google Maps or any of those other mapping sites out there.

I'll usually jump onto Google maps pull up the map and then memorized the paths I think of to get to my final destination.
          BF2142 Name: Polish_Eagle

Comment

We use the Garmin 76CS(x) and the 60cs at work. Both are really solid, but if you want some serious options go with the 76 series.
            it will also depend on you budget, neither are cheap.
            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              Compass? Must be nice. All I have is this diptych...
              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I really like my Garmin iQue M5. It is the Windows CE PDA with the GPS built in. It has every single place I have ever needed to look for already in it and things like a menu synopsis for restaurants and the like - as well as the phone numbers. It also integrates with the Exchange/Outlook contact list so I can automatically route to it if they are in my contact list which is nice since I've got 1800 contacts in that list.

The Vehicle mount is good and the built in GPS receiver is all that I've ever needed, although there is provision for an external receiver if you have trouble.

Just my .02
                sigpic

Comment

I ended up getting the Vista Cx. Thanks for all the comments though. The 76 series was kind of expensive, and the car units wouldn't be as useful to me as a trail model.

I'll let you all know if it was the best or worst purchase ever.

Maybe we should start a fund to buy Rincewind a compass...

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

There's one on sale at woot today.

http://www.woot.com/
                    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
                      There's one on sale at woot today.

http://www.woot.com/
                      I was just going to post this:

Mobile Crossing Waypoint 200 National Edition Pocket PC GPS
                      $299.99
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Isnt there one that has a big magnet on the bottom (To put on top of your car) and hooks to your computer VIA bluetooth? I thought that was cool, donno if i read that or just heard it. Try looking it up.
                        Oyee

Comment

:icon30:

I would be very interested to hear your experiences (and other peoples experiences) with the current GPS systems. I will be purchasing a handheld system for deep woods camping and ATV excursions within the next 3 years.

Last week I used a Garmin Etrex to find some property markers in some heavy woods. I posted a short review on another site, and will paste it here for prospective GPS enthusiasts:

It was a Garmin Etrex (http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/)

After a night spent reading and watching a videotape, I went out and found the stake with no problems. These little devices are really neat!

Some bitches I had about the Etrex:

1. Only works when moving. As soon as you stop the Etrex acts like it's in the Bermuda Triangle and automatically gives you false headings. It is difficult to keep moving in heavy woods and if you stop and look at the Etrex you are getting a false heading.

2. I could not find a way to measure feet from a marked point. The odometer will keep track of feet travelled but it counts every foot that you move, including backwards and sideways. If you have to navigate around an object (large tree, lake, etc) you will rack up a bunch of feet that do not represent the amount of space between starting and ending points.

3. Projecting a waypoint was a bitch. I knew the amount of feet, but the smallest amount you could enter was a 10th of a mile. That meant my projected waypoints were only approximately where I had to go. Add in the 15ft of accuracy and you could fail to find your target.

4. This model did not have the built in electronic compass, so once again you had to move to see what direction you were headed in, and failing to move gave you a false direction.

----
                          Despite these bitches, I found this device to be pretty cool. You can literally walk into any strange woods and never be lost (as long as you can get a view of the sky). Just by marking your entrance point and some landmarks along the way, the GPS will guide you back to any of these points whenever you wish. I will definitely be purchasing a GPS someday. I am looking for one that will allow me to upload detailed maps of rural areas in Western New York State, so that I can navigate a bit better, and plan my trips before embarking on them. I plan to take some deep woods camping and ATV excursion trips within the next few years.

My biggest concern was the lack of an electronic compass in this model and all of the false headings you get when you stop moving. As anyone who has walked in heavy woods knows, it is difficult to move and look at a device at the same time.

-

Comment

Originally posted by en4rcment View Post
                            My biggest concern was the lack of an electronic compass in this model and all of the false headings you get when you stop moving. As anyone who has walked in heavy woods knows, it is difficult to move and look at a device at the same time.
                            Yeah, my last GPS (magellan explorist 100) had not electronic compass, and so it suffered the same setback as described in your post.

For me, the ultimate consequence of not having an electronic compass was that I rarely used the compass screen of my exlporist, finding it much more informative to use the bread-crumb trail screen (no maps on that model either). I would use the GPS to determine which direction I had a tendancy to walk in, and then make any corrections needed when I set off again.

The other habit I've picked up using a GPS is to walk with it in hand, and to make constant, quick references to it every few seconds, as opposed to a detailed study of it every few minutes.

By fully integrating the GPS into my hike, I found its value to go up substantially.

But I'll post again once I've taken the system out once or twice and let you know.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X