for you AV knowledgeable readers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for you AV knowledgeable readers...

OK, not PC related, more home entertainment related... so wasn't sure on where to post, but this will do I guess. ;)

I have a 50 inch Samsung DLP hi-def TV.

I have a Samsung DVD player/recorder.

I have a Xbox 360 with the hi-def connection.

My problem. I'm trying to record game play video from the Xbox 360 onto a DVD-RW and DVD-R.

I have the 360 Hi-def going directly to my hi-def TV component, I also have my hi-def digital cable going directly to the hi-def TV component.

I then have my DVD player/recorder hooked to my TV via HTMI connection for DVD playing, and also on the input of the DVD player/recorder coming from the TV output... so whatever should be played on the TV should be recorded on the DVD player/recorder.

I have tried DVD-RW's, and DVD-R's and finalized them, and all that good stuff.

The recorder excepts the recording signal from the TV (both the cable TV show test, and game play on the 360 tested), and on the disk you can see the recording were made, there there to select in the menu, and they even play the appropriate time of the recordings.

BUT... there is no video or audio picture/sound what so ever, it plays back (tried on three different players, 3 rooms, and my PC.) you can see it playing in the counter, but no pic or sound...)

Any idea what might be wrong with this set up or see in mistake I'm making in this set up?

Thanks for any help.

BTW: I can't daisy chain the DVD recorder through the 360 and the TV... that would work but not in hi-def, there is no Hi-def input for the DVD player/recorder, just out put... and not using my Xbox 360 in hi-def just ain't going to happen, would defeat the purpose of this great machine.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: for you AV knowledgeable readers...

Could HDCP be the culprit?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
      [I]
      I then have my DVD player/recorder hooked to my TV via HTMI connection for DVD playing, and also on the input of the DVD player/recorder coming from the TV output...
      huh - I didn't understand this sentence?

Is this what you meant?

cable --- RGB----> TV
      XBOX ---- RGB----> TV
      DVD ---- HTMI----> TV
      DVD <---- ? ----- TV

Comment

I say its either HDCP or Macrovision.
        Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

HDCP only limits output resolution. I don't think it would actually black out the signal. Sounds like either a) the signal is not getting to the recorder properly, or b) the signal is not compatible with the DVD-R.

What kind of DVD is it? (Standard, Blu-ray, HD) and how is the signal getting from the TV to the DVD? If you're inputting an HD signal into the recorder you'd need to downconvert to 720x480 MPEG in order to record to a standard DVD-R. If the unit doesn't do that then it might just show up as black.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

HDCP is not implemented yet, and probably won't be for a while.

Does your DVD recorder have component in?

If it does, your signal path should look like this:

Xbox -RGB-> DVD/R-HDMI->TV

I however suspect Steeler is correct. Your DVD/R probably won't downsample on its own. Currently the only device I know that will do this is either a series 3 tivo (@ $800 :row__632: ) or a HD capture card for a PC (also not cheap).
            Do or do not, there is no try....
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I don't think it's any type of protection, because I've tried it with a simple, regular TV show... and that is the whole purpose of a DVD recorder, to record a show you might miss.

The DVD player/recorder does not have hi-def component inputs just the regular yellow (video), red and white for audio.

Standard DVD Player/Recorder... I play movie DVD's on it to my TV via HDMI... but then have the DVD recorder input (yellow,red, and white) connected from the TV (yellow, red, white.)

So maybe your right, but shouldn't it still record non-hi def signals, like regular TV?

Doing a couple trail and error test.
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

First thing is to confirm that the signal is leaving the TV if you haven't already done so. Get a standard TV monitor with AV input jacks (yellow/red/white), and see if the HD signal from the XBox plays all the way through the HDTV to the standard TV.

If not, it may be that the signal flow is designed not to pass through the HD inputs all the way to the TV's AV outputs. Probably to prevent people from doing exactly what you're trying to do - use the TV as a downconvert device.

You may be better off running the Xbox in standard def and plugging it right into the DVD-R
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Or use RCA splitters, splitting the signal so it Ys out from the Xbox to the TV and the DVD player at the same time.
                  Oyee

Comment

Check the manual for your TV. The manual form the Samsung website states the composite video output only works when the TV input is from the antenna inputs, the composite video inputs or the s-video inputs. So it looks like when you're using the HDMI/DVI or component inputs the video output is disabled.

Comment

FriedFish is probably right. It looks like the HDMI/DVI input disables video output on your TV.
                      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X