WW2 Online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Online?

Recently I've been taking time off of BF2 and Planetside to try a new (to me, it's several years old) MMO FPS. WW2 Online is, in my opinion really neat. I was wondering if any of you guys had ever played it or formed a squad in-game?

I kind of both like it and hate it. I hate the extreme learning curve and limits lower ranks have, and it wasn't until I got into a squad and was helped by them that I started understanding how to play the game effectively (at least, I stopped getting killed every 2 minutes).

I love the tactical ability of the game, and the physics and damage models, which are some of the best I've personally experienced in a game. Its sort of like how they did it in Red Orchestra. AP rounds don't "do damage" in a particular % of "health" to a tank, they either penetrate (leaving a visible hole) or bounce off and scuff the armor. If they penetrate, they can hit vital areas (disabling the engine, hitting the ammo mags, disabling tracks, killing the turret mechanisms, etc.) and breech through the thing turret armor and kill the gunner or driver, leaving a healthy-looking, dead tank. Not to mention the spalling inside and outside of the tank which can kill bystanders and the crew even if it's not a hit, and concussive effects from HE.. it's really neat imo. Heres an example of a german APHE shell hitting a tank from the physics POV

Bullets and shells are tracked for hundreds of meters till they hit the ground (and the visual range is extreme, i'd say at least 5 km.) and the battleground is freaking huge.

Though like I said, I don't like the extreme learning curve. There is no real health meter for your guy, just a red line that represents overall capability. Get shot in the gut and your view starts to darken and lose definition (from the pain I guess) and you stop regaining stamina so quickly/at all, which leads to a major disadvantage in returning fire. Theres been times where I was completely blinded yet able to crawl around, hearing the battle around me and shooting randomly. Every vehicle has it's own control variations so getting good at driving one tank doesn't necessarily translate to driving an armored car or a boat, like in BF2, even of the same class of tank. Aeriel battles are really a pain unless you're an ace at say, the old MS ww2 combat flight sim. Driving an armor column is fun, but then you realise, yes, it really is going to take you 30 minutes to drive that 10 KM to the next town...and every unit has a different sound so you need to use your ears a lot, lest you be gunned down from 1km out by a tank hiding in the bushes.

Its a pretty deep simulation imo, not arcadey at all, which is part of the huge learning curve. Plus it's an ongoing battle, with unit limits until resupplying. That army base is only going to be able to spawn X amount of Y tanks, or even X amount of Y infantry units before it's completely drained and you need to pull things from the surrounding areas to defend, unlike the Battlefields and other games where armor constantly respawns and thers no limit to what type of infantry is spawned (Could you go a round with only 200 spawnable assault, 10 medics and support, 2 snipers, and 5 spec forces?)

Though to be quite honest, the graphics royally suck in this day and age, because so much of the gamepower is put into view distance, phyiscs calculations, etc. Same thing with lag, it can get really hectic and some areas can have so much fighting going on the client has to drop rendering units in order to keep from crashing..

I haven't decided on whether or not to keep it, but there was a 30 day trial promotion i took and i'm enjoying it so far..

edit: SWEET I shot down my first fighter today in a furball over a heavily contested city. Man that gave me a rush. Messerschmidt B109-Fe vs Spitfire MkVb. Though he hit me in the engine and it started losing oil pressure and making the worst of sounds, and forced me to land whence it immediately blew up... i survived though.
    Last edited by Bisclaveret; 10-13-2006, 06:18 AM.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: WW2 Online?

Very nice review Bisclaveret.

Comment

Yeah, I think my biggest problem with this is the huge timesink. The realism is pretty neat, but riding 20 minutes in an APC just to be blown up by a tank hidden 1km away is the kind of realism I'm not looking for. I stick to Red Orchestra for infantry/tank combat and just accept that I don't have the free time neccessary to simulate the more realistic aspects of war.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu View Post
        Yeah, I think my biggest problem with this is the huge timesink. The realism is pretty neat, but riding 20 minutes in an APC just to be blown up by a tank hidden 1km away is the kind of realism I'm not looking for.
        Yeah, I feel ya there. They have forward bases and they added mobile spawnpoints recently or so I hear, which makes infantry combat in taking cities and bases easier (it's a lightly skinned truck, etc, that moves pretty fast with no armaments. you park it in some bushes well hidden within 1 km of the target and people can spawn from there, kind of like the AMS in Planetside only without the cloaking field.) It's also a decent fast mover for AT/AAA gun towing.

Though from the forums, the realism buffs hate that idea ;)

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I've played the game in the past, but too much realism equals less fun in my book. Yes, it's realistic that it takes x amount of time to travel somewhere, but unrealistic that I'm actually gonna spend my finite amount of gaming time to do so. The extremely slow pace of the game turned me off to it.
          -33rd- BaneII
          Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
            Though from the forums, the realism buffs hate that idea ;)
            Probably because the risk of being destroyed in a half truck after a long ride adds to the atmosphere of the game a lot.

It is actually not only about being there at the objective but also the process of planning and going there. The risk of getting killed keeps you on your toes. It provides an incentive to play serious, smart and cautious which in turn increase the overall quality of a role-playing game.

There are many ways of minimizing the risk of getting destroyed by a tank from a kilometer. Did squad leader ask for intel?, was there an armor unit in vicinity to be attached? Was is a good time to hit the road? (Night time is the best for certain operations, though I am not sure if day/night cycle is in the game) Was is a relatively safe route? Would it be possible not to put all the eggs into the same basket (=a second half truck)?

I guess thinking about these kind of things before moving to an objective is more than half of the fun for some of us.

Add the rewarding experience of avoiding an ambush or saving lives of at least some soldiers through such planning/cautious approach to the equation and actual shooting becomes only a fraction of total fun.

Just wanted to provide some role-playing perspective to the subject...In the end, it is a matter of style, preference and expectations. I would jump into WWII Online if only visual representation, which is a great part of immersion, were better. I suppose we have to wait another 5-10 years for games at this scale to reach a satisfactory visual level.
            Last edited by John CANavar; 10-13-2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Much of what you say is true, John. And yes, there is a day/night cycle as well as the war being tracked for X amount of days (and a final victory, which is something i long for in planetside)

A lot of planning can and most of the time does take place from what i've seen before moving into an objective, from the High Command placing attack orders and area of operation influence to certain targets to softening up the enemy before a battle (bombing adjacent depots to slow resupply time, destroying factories to delay supplies and the availability of assets, carpet bombing a large city to provide less area for the enemy to hide (church towers, large buildings) before you roll in the tanks, etc)

Thats something I really like, and I craved forever from Planetside when I started, and it seemed to happen for a bit until a whole bunch of new Command Rank 5's got thier honors and started leading battles without knowing a thing about tactical planning, and I feel that perhaps 60% of the players don't either. I've been blessed with a good outfit that does follow some planning and sticks together to help each other, but I think the time that really broke the Planetside experience for me...

We were attacking an amp station, I forget on what continent. People were assaulting and distracting the front side of the facility, while I rolled a router (think short-range teleporter, drivable by people with the Ground Support certification) up to one side of an outpost where we could spawn in. I took the telepad and positioned it behind a large rock outcropping where the blue glow, etc wouldn't be seen and it would protect teleporting-in troops from 180 degees of fire, and within perhaps 100 feet of the back door. I tell people on my side quite plainly what I'm doing, and repeat it several times to my platoon.

What happens? Everyone zerg rushes out of the outpost and decides to hoof it the fairly long distance from the outpost to the base facility. In barren wasteland with no cover. With 2-3 turrets able to shoot at them, and enemies noticing them. I had to constantly repeat orders to use the router before i got a few people to even notice it was there, a few feet from the door out of the facility... and i never got help replacing the telepad as it got found and destroyed which put me at risk. If everyone had followed my lead and instructions, we would have stealtihly infiltrated inside the base, but noone did and decided to wake up the enemies to the fact that there were people trying to get in the back door, whence we were slaughtered on both fronts and had to withdraw.

Comment

How many people still play this game, could it be worth getting into? It sounds kinda fun, at least IMHO.

Comment

My limited time and the graphics (immersion factor) keep me from playing this game right now... I'm hoping a graphics update can be reached sometime.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...