Help with meh Jeep 4X4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with meh Jeep 4X4

Okay, Its not mine yet, but it will soon be. I just test drove the Jeep that im getting, the guy just finished his payments on it (Original owner from 1996!). He bought it when the 97' modles came out in 96 for a cheaper price. Its got all the bell's and whistles, and is AWESOME! The only problem is it only runs in 4-wheel drive, and feel's funny to my 2-wheel drive normality. It's got 4W High, Neutral, and 4W low... I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what the Neutral was, and if it has a 2W drive setting, cuz i know 4W drive isnt the best on the road. Maybe there's something wrong and we both dont know about it.

Oh ya, Its grey, with a 5.2L V8, one tiny dent on the back that i can pop out with my step dads "Pops-a-dent" and looks as if it were new. He never had a problem with it, and put on 146,000 miles. Best of all im getting it for around 2,000... Which is half of the Kelly Blue Book. He's been a friend of my step dad for quite some time, and is moving outa state and needs to get rid of it.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Black_V!per; 10-14-2006, 03:00 PM.
    Oyee

Re: Help with meh Jeep 4X4

I assume you're talking about a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, right? As far as I know, a full-time 4WD transfer case has never been offered in the Wranglers. (I could be wrong)

Anyhow, if there is no option for 2WD, you have a ful-time 4x4 transfer case. Expect your gas mileage to be a bit on the poor side and your front tires to wear faster than they otherwise would. Otherwise, thats just how the thing is designed. The Neutral spot on the transfer case shifter simply disengages the transfer case - meaning no power gets to any wheels.

Good luck! Jeeps are a disease. Once you get one, thats all you want to drive. I'm in temporary exile to Dodge Neon-land but I can't wait to get another Jeep!
    sigpic

Comment

I cant belive i didnt say it was a Grand Cherokee... Blah! Anyway, Thanks, that helps a lot, i thought that the transfer case was b0rkd or something, and thats why there wasnt a 2W drive option.
      Oyee

Comment

Does it have the V-8 or the 4.0l 6 cylynder?
        sigpic

Comment

I've got a 99 Grand Cherokee too.
          I didn't think I'd like it and I bought it just to tow our camping trailer but I have come to love that truck.
          It has the inline 6 which is very torquey and easy on gas. Not to mention that engine lasts forever.
          Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
            Oh ya, Its grey, with a 5.2L V8, one tiny dent on the back that i can pop out with my step dads "Pops-a-dent" and looks as if it were new. He never had a problem with it, and put on 146,000 miles.
            Question already answered.

Talked to my dad (Ex machanic) he said go with it, if there isnt a 2W drive option printed around the stick to change, then there's no 2W drive option at all. And to put it in 4W low, stop, put it in reverse, back up a few feet, then try to put it into 4W low.

Wow, i cant wait, ill be posting pictures and stuff!
            Oyee

Comment

http://www.wjjeeps.com/links.htm

Here's the links I go to for jeep info.
              Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
              Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Here's an update for you'z guy'z.

Just got it today... After i register it and and it to the insurance i'll take it for a spin.
                Oyee

Comment

Chrysler started offering AWD vehicles a while back. Full-time 4WD (AWD) will cause a slight hit in gas mileage, but I've noticed no reports of increased wear on the front tires.

4WD systems have an issue called "hopping" when they go around corners. This is because the front wheels are "locked" and spin at the same speed. When taking a corner in a 2WD vehicle, the outside tire (the right tire if you're taking a left turn) spins faster than the inside tire. This gives you more control around corners and keeps your tires from wearing. This isn't an issue on sand or mud (where traction is very low), but is on concrete roads.

An AWD vehicle compensates for this via a form of limited slip differential, but it's not the same thing you find on a rear-wheel drive car/truck. Your front end will compensate by transfering power where it needs to be, just like a front-wheel drive car (most Japanese cars, and some American cars) does. There isn't much to worry about.

Driving an AWD truck, I would make sure not to floor it or "hot-rod" when coming around corners. That would cause the most tire wear. And make sure to rotate your tires at the recommended intervals.

If you don't already know: 4H is wear you'll normally stay at. 4L is a low-speed high-torque mode for your truck. It 4L, you engine spins like 15 times (or some rediculous number, but it does differ) for each spin of your drive shaft. This creates insane amounts of torque at very low speed and RPMs. It comes in handy when you're really stuck, or are pulling something extremely heavy. But, don't go above 5-10 mph in this mode. It isn't designed for it.

Neutral completely disengages your transfer case, so no power is transmitted to your drive shaft(s). This is nice when you're stuck so bad or your engine won't start and you're being pulled out.

It also comes in handy when being towed, because on an automatic transmission, the act of your "power" wheels being rotated can actually cause your drive shaft to spin, which will then cause your engine to spin (usually when the towing vehicle gets above 30 mph). This can do serious damage to your engine. So, if you're off-roading and you get put out of commision, you can throw your transfer case in neutral and be towed home by one of your buddies without fear of further damage.

As for shifting into and out of "gears" (all this info is based on every truck I've driven, yours may differ: read the manual):
                  To shift into 4L: stop the vehicle, put the trasmission in neutral (not the transfer case), then shift straight into 4L without pausing in neutral. You can pause if you want, but sometimes a manual transfer case (the ones with the lever) will get "stuck" and it takes some doing to get it back into gear. Put the vehicle in 1st or 2nd gear and let off the brake. If you hear a clicking sound coming from the transfer case immediately stop and shift into neutral on both the transmission AND the transfer case. Then try again.

Shifting back into 4H is easy. Just stop, put the transmission in neutral and shift the transfer case back to 4H. Same bit about the clicking though. That's a serious problem than will damage you transfer case. Having a transfer case repaired or replaced is serious money (for my Chevy it was $2500).

Comment

The manual said to put it into reverse to get into 4L, thanks for the read up Fenix. I'll have to take it easy on the transfer case, don't wanna pay for a 2,500 dollars for a part, when the whole vehicle cost that amount.
                    Oyee

Comment

I owned this bad boy in Black.. It was my wifes car...
                      318 V8 has been around for ever.. a good thing.. mileage was 14 to 16 mpg range depending how it was driven....
                      Very driveable... aside from normal jeep stuff... (upper body rock when crossing any kind of bump or lip off center), a little outside shoulder tire wear...
                      It has a great turning radius, is cake to parallel park...
                      Electric door locks can get funky w/ this model, as well as front discs that I think they made from soda cans... (perpetually out of true)
                      I got rid of it a little over a year ago when the rear axle started whining.. It was a big dollar fix...

Comment

Originally posted by Dog View Post
                        I got rid of it a little over a year ago when the rear axle started whining.. It was a big dollar fix...
                        How many miles did u put on it before it started to do that?
                        Oyee

Comment

I think it was at 85k.... low mileage car...
                          sorry I forgot that part... although I don't hear that it's endemic to the car..

Comment

Okay, cuz mines hovering around 140k
                            Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                              Okay, cuz mines hovering around 140k
                              Yeah.. I read that...

Most of the running gear is rock solid.. the axle may have been from a curb shot or just bad luck...

the only other thing that was at all a frustration was the ac... just leaking and not blowing cold enough...

good luck.. great car... I considered (well for a brief moment) fixing the axle and trading out my Audi for it... :row__738: wth was I thinking?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X