• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comcast or Bellsouth?

Moved into a new place and need to set up internet

Anyways I can get a cable connection 8mb
    or a DSL connection 6mb

Now to me it would seem like the cable would be better...but I have never had cable, only DSL (oh and 56k yay!). I have heard about the whole the more people that use cable in your area the slower it is. BUt that was like 5 years ago.

Was wondering if that is still a big problem with cable, or at least comcast?

Re: Comcast or Bellsouth?

I would check http://www.dslreports.com for experiences people have in your part of the country.

Comment

I've had nothing but goodness from Comcast cable since we got it hooked up a few years ago. I don't notice any slowdown depending on peak hours or whatever.

Comment

I have Comcast and have very little problems with it. Once in a while it will stop working for five minutes or so then picks back up and works great the rest of the evening.

Also with a cell phone I don't have to have a landline phone.
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

I have Bellsouth and can report that I've never had any real problems with it in the 6 years that I've had it. DSL may be a bit slower, but you'll never be affected by network saturation as is possible on cable.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

A friend of mine in Riverside CA has Comcast, and says it kicks SBC's butt (Bellsouths CA partner). He was upgraded for free to'a 10mb connection, which blows my old 512k away when i had SBC there.

He said he had a problem once when he changed his password for his email, and couldnt log on to the internet. The customer service ppl were nice enough to change it back once he gave them hours worth of verification information.
            Oyee

Comment

And I have had nothing but problems with Comcast since we got it three years ago. I guess it depends on where you are.
              --------

Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

Comment

I was one of the first in my neighborhood with Bellsouth DSL several years ago.. very few problems. Moved to Indiana and had Comcast for 5 years.. monthly outtages, but not tooooo bad. I think checking reports for your area on dslreports is a good idea.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Yeah, it's going to vary greatly from city to city.

I happen to live in a small town just outside the KC metro and most of the town is using satellite or SBC. I have Time Warner for digital phone, cable and Road Runner and it's been rock solid the 3 years we have lived here. I'm sure it's because I have most of the bandwidth pipe to myself. :) Couldn't pass up upgrading to 8000/512 earlier this week for $10 more a month.

Comment

Thinking I might go with comcast...don't really need a phone line which of course is required for DSL.

Also the cable is 8mbs and the DSL is 6. So even if the cable is slowed down some from other users, it would not slow down to less than 6 I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
                      DSL may be a bit slower, but you'll never be affected by network saturation as is possible on cable.
                      That's true. Haven't had any problems with my DSL, I never see a drop in connection speed even at the busiest times. It is slower than cable but more dedicated connection.
                      XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X