The Most Scary PC Game Ever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Most Scary PC Game Ever

I can't believe I'm the only one to post this so far. Diablo & Diablo 2, of course! I was a little kid at the time, and the prospect of death in a video game was enough to cause me to save and quite for an hour, then come back to it. :)

The worst part in the first Diablo was the butcher. Being chased by a 90% naked, 10ft tall demon(who is waving a meat cleaver ) through a corpse/calf-deep-blood/entrails-everywhere filled room almost made me crap myself.

In the second, it had to be the rouge citadel, with all the horribly tortured dead chicks.

The most depressing games ever, but I kept coming back. It really felt like I was cleansing the world of evil. :)
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas View Post
      The worst part in the first Diablo was the butcher. Being chased by a 90% naked, 10ft tall demon(who is waving a meat cleaver ) through a corpse/calf-deep-blood/entrails-everywhere filled room almost made me crap myself.
      LOL the butcher! He made short work of me. I'd have to say that there was always a psychological effect in Diablo when you would go adventuring with someone else online, only to find out that your "partner" was a pk'er. Not necessarily scary, but unnerving and disappointing.

| |

Comment

I'd have to say FEAR for me. Everything about that game just gave me the creeps. Doom 3 made me pretty jumpy, but it wasn't as bad. I hear Bioshock is supposed to be pretty frightening as well when it comes out.
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

F.E.A.R all the way. I installed the demo, walked down a hallway, saw the girl, hit esc, and uninstalled.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Holy cow, I was just too freaked out to go beyond that~~
          |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu View Post
            Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines without getting completely freaked out in the haunted house.
            It's weird - none of the hyped-up scary bits ever manage to scare me. That haunted house was nothing special, and the Cradle mission in Thief 3 was pretty laughable.
            2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
            BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Comment

System Shock 2 for me. I had a friend try it out once. He was in a windowless room, with the lights off. I started it up, and then left to go do something, and shut the door. I came back a few minutes later, and when I opened the door, it was pitch black, the computer was off, and my friend was freaked out. I came to find out that he was fidgeting around while the intro was playing (The computer-ship was doing it's whole "I KNOW YOU ARE HERE AND I'M GOING TO KILL YOU" bit) and his foot hit the power button on the power strip. Needless to say, he really believed that the ship computer had found him and that he was doomed.

Can't wait for Bioshock.

Comment

Certain scenes in Max Payne were just plain disturbing. Also that Cradle level from Thief 3.

*Spoiler of Cradle level from Theif follows*

Things that sent a chill down my spine:

The fact that no one outside wants to talk about the place.

It takes place in an old abandoned orphanage that apparently used to be a mental asylum. As you walk around you discover that it was a mental asylum AND and orphanage at the same time.

That freaky little girl that whispers to you every now and again. Also when you finally find her standing next to that pool of blood.

The laughing of that totally crazy patient.

The noise that the undead people made when you couldn't see them.

The realisation that the building has trapped the little girl and that it knows you are there.

A long time ago there was a fire in part of the building and when you reach that part of the building you find a chair placed in a position that suggested someone was sitting there watching everyone burn to death.
                Last edited by Obi; 10-16-2006, 03:16 PM. Reason: none of your business

Comment

I second System Shock 2 as being the most "make you feel all alone and insignificant" scary game. After all, you're nothing more than a pathetic lump of flesh and bone, eh? Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth was similar in the use of ambient sounds, insanity effects (think things kind of like in Eternal Darkness, but better. Blurred vision, listing of the viewpoint, sounds..) The chase through Innsmouth by the fish-people (which was adapted from a story by Lovecraft pretty well) was imo one of the highlights of scaryness in the game. No weapon, no way of defending yourself, just flat out RUN through the town, hearing them smash down doors you close and always come closer...

As for sheer OMGWTF scaryness, the beginning level to Painkiller Black's Battle Out of Hell expansion, the Orphanage, really got to me. Hrm, recently played and grabbed a little bit of fraps footage.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

FEAR was the scariest for me. Really creepy when its 2 AM and no lights on. Id say the scariest part was when it had been quiet for a good 5 minutes, i go down a ladder and as soon as my head moves up the girl is right there. I jumped and when i went back down i hit the top part of my chair and went flying backwards.

Comment

Alien vs. Predator.

Comment

The original Resident Evil is definately up there. DOOM3 is pretty scary in parts. Never played FEAR, although I may have to try it now. :)

I have an unusual nomination. Hear me out here--Natural Selection.

I know, its not a horror game per se. But sometimes, when you're walking around as a marine, and you can HEAR skulks moving around, coming for you...but you can't SEE them! Especially when the game is fairly new, and you don't intuitively know the maps yet, that can be very scary. So you're crouching in a corner, hearing the scratch scratch of sharp pointed feet running around, hoping they don't look your way, and clutching your gun tightly, not knowing whether you would live or die if they found you...oh yes, very atmospheric. :D

Comment

For me it was Doom 3. All because of the stupid flashlight and the US Marines on space duty didn't have Surefires. (Shouldn't everyone have NVGs in 2145?)

Comment

QUAKE 4, or pacman when you get chased by a ghost and you get trapped by them =P, unreal gold though, the original unreal. when you're trapped in the ship still and you get out of your cell you like... see thsi silhouette running away as you turn the corner. Oh and psychonauts *SPOILEH* 1 of the kids sneeze out their brains through their nose and the crazy 'dentist' laughs like a madman in a mental asylum. Baldur's gate of course when I was super nooby and I didn't know what to do I got jumped by a wolf. oh yeah and another UNREAL game =D Unreal II the awakening. the part when you are in the rain dark cold forest and you hear alien laugh's in teh distance, I instantly fired a shotgun shell into a brance XD. Halo gave me a some jumps when I was first attacked by the flood. you can hear them scratch, and my friend who was watching said 'I bet the flood can eat through the metal walls!' and I just stood there in teh middle of the room looking in all directions... ahh good times goooood times...
                            0-<-<
                            ( + [ ] :: )

Comment

Ahh where do I begin?
                              All were mentioned here;
                              -Diablo 1 at the time (playing on the playstation) had me going with the music... and how I miss it today :( Also, that butcher had me antsy too

-Resident Evil games! Hell yes they friggin' creeped me out! I nearly shat myself many-a-times playing it for the first time on the consoles

-Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines with its ambient sounds and music struck a nerve. Didn't scare me to death like other games, but definately gave out the creepy vibes. That haunted mansion still gives me the creeps, and I've played though it enough to have it memorized.

-Half-Life 2 had its moments. Ravenholm (was that the name of the town?) had me nervous!

- F.E.A.R. is a no brainer, this sums it up quite nicely! "F.E.A.R all the way. I installed the demo, walked down a hallway, saw the girl, hit esc, and uninstalled." Although I later built up the nerve and got the full game, played through it... I tell you, the end sequence had me screaming like a little school girl... it's something I'll never live down.

- Nosferatu. If your buying this game, buy some adult diapers and an extra pair of sponge-bob boxers. It's an ugly game and it jumps out and bites your face off when you least expect it to! Spooky sounds (there are times when I played it with sound off... it's just that creepy), spooky settings... and one freaky castle. It's all random too.

- Doom 3 scared me at the start a bit... but once you played it for a good 30 minutes, you knew what was coming and it really didn't surprise me at all. First time playing it though, my heart was-a-thumpin'

- Clive Barkers; Undying If this game doesn't scare you, even just a little, you must be a stone.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                                Alien vs. Predator.
                                Ah, that just reminded me! Aliens TC for DOOM. Sweet mother of dirty drawers that was a scary mod. I doubt it would be quite as scary now, but those were the early days of stuff jumping out at you in a 3d world.
                                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X