The most amazing thing ever...twice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most amazing thing ever...twice?

I LOVES the fighter jets. That extends to internet videos of them, stories, games, whatever. So, while just randomly thinking about this stuff, I recently connected a video and a totally separate article in what I think might actually be the same event:

(since I dont have enough posts to..erm..post urls, just...you know...fill in the blanks)

Youtube video: youtube.com/watch?v=YMuFXGj0vyw&NR
    F-15 collides with unseen (filming) jet during a training excersize (possibly a skyhawk according to article below).

Annnnd a truely amazing article I'd read (from several sources) quite a while ago. If you cant be bothered to read the whole thing, it basically outlines an event in which a F-15 and an A-4 collide during training, cleanly shearing off the entire right wing of the F-15, which then proceeds to fly home one-winged. If you dont read the whole thing, skip to the end, right after the links.

On May 1st. 1983, a dogfight training took place between two F-15D's and four A-4N Skyhawks over the skies of the Negev desert in Israel. The F-15D (#957, nicknamed 'Markia Shchakim', 5 killmarks) was used for the training of a new pilot in the squadron. Here is the description of the event as described in "Pressure Suit":
    " At some point I collided with one of the Skyhawks, at first I didn't realize it. I felt a big strike, and I thought we passed through the jet stream of one of the other aircraft. Before I could react, I saw the big fire ball created by the explosion of the Skyhawk.
    The radio started to deliver calls saying that the Skyhawk pilot has ejected, and I understood that the fire ball was the Skyhawk, that exploded, and the pilot was ejected automatically. There was a tremendous fuel stream going out of the wing, and I understood it was badly damaged.
    The aircraft flew without control in a strange spiral. I re-connected the electric control to the control surfaces, and slowly gained control of the aircraft until I was straight and level again. It was clear to me that I should eject. When I gained control I said :
    "Hey, wait, don't eject yet!". No warning light was on and the navigation computer worked as usual; I just needed a warning light in my panel to indicate that I missed a wing..." The instructor ordered me to eject.
    The wing is a fuel tank, and the fuel indicator showed 0.000 so I assumed that the jet stream sucked all the fuel out of the other tanks. However, I remembered that the valves operate only in one direction, so that I might have enough fuel to get to the nearest airfield and land. I worked like a machine, wasn't scared and didn't worry. All I knew was: as long as the sucker flies, I'm gonna stay inside. I started to decrease the airspeed, but at that point one wing was not enough.
    So I went into a spin down and to the right. A second before I decided to eject, I pushed the throttle and lit the afterburner. I gained speed and thus got control of the aircraft again. Next thing I did was lowering the arresting hook.
    A few seconds later I touched the runway at 260 knots, about twice the recommended speed, and called the tower to erect the emergency recovery net. The hook was torn away from the fuselage because of the high speed, but I managed to stop 10 meters before the net. I turned back to shake the hand of my instructor, who urged me to eject, and then I saw it for the first time - no wing "

The IAF (Israeli Air Force) contacted McDonnell Douglas and asked about the possibility to land an F-15 with one wing .
    MD replied that this is aero-dynamically impossible, as confirmed by computer simulations... Then they received the photo.... After two months the same F-15 got a new wing and returned to action.
    "Flight international, 8 June 1985" wrote about the incident and said that the student who outranked his instructor was later demoted for disobeying his instructor, then promoted for saving the aircraft. McDonnell Douglas attributes the saving of this aircraft to the amount of lift generated by the engine intake/body and "a hell of a good pilot"
    This is definItely a testament to modern combat aircraft design. Could it be that the fuselage acting as an airfoil, a high thrust to weight ratio and two engines (differential thrust) helped in this impressive feat? What about the fact that the F-15 has elevons and not elevators and so it had some aileron control without the right wing?

For photos of the jet during and after landing, see these links:
    img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Shodansown/060311.jpg
    img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/Shodansown/060310.jpg

This is a published, photographed event. Dont bother arguing whether it is real or not.

Anyways, does anyone here think that this may in fact be the same jet from the video? If you look at where the F-15 would have impacted the filming jet, you can see that the F-15's right wing might be the only part to collide with the (presumably) A-4.

Either way, kickass article, eh?
    -=Brian=-

Re: The most amazing thing ever...twice?

Well...here is a more detailed despription youtube.com/watch?v=e1aKxAN7bAs&mode=related&search=

It wouldnt have been the same video, because in the initial one I posted the strike was head-on, the filming plane didnt "fireball immediately", the filming plane wasnt inverted (at least in relation to the F-15), etc etc.....
    -=Brian=-

Comment

Very cool, Ive heard of A-10s coming home with a lot of the wing missing but i didnt realize we had a fighter able to do the same.

My second thought was, that guy should be glad he wasnt based on a carrier at the time this happened. I dont see it landing at double speed on a moving ship with less runway......then again im not a pilot so ......

Heres a website I found with a ton of warthog pics including a few that have landed with some serious damage

http://www.a-10.org/photos/photos2.asp?PageID=1

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
        Very cool, Ive heard of A-10s coming home with a lot of the wing missing but i didnt realize we had a fighter able to do the same.

My second thought was, that guy should be glad he wasnt based on a carrier at the time this happened. I dont see it landing at double speed on a moving ship with less runway......then again im not a pilot so ......
        ]
        Yeah, those A-10s are intense. Apparently they were designed with damage in mind: they are intentinally capable of flying with 50% of each wing missing, because they know bad stuff is going to happen.
        Something like a fighter-jet on the other hand (say, the F-15...) are generally meant to never get hit, as fighter-damage is usually a 1-hit kill, especially in the current age of missiles (reality check: dogfights dont happen anymore).
        Mac Douglas (designer of F-15 FYI) outright said "it is not physcially possible for a F-15 to fly without a wing", but after seeing the damage and reconsidering, they figured that it was possible. Plus...you know...one did it.

My point is that generally it shouldnt (isnt) possible for most fighter jets to fly one-winged. Its the body-width and ridiculously large surface area of the F-15's remaining wing that kept it in the air. That and the fact that the F-15 has way WAY more available power than it needs.

As for the carrier comment, hes damn lucky...though I dont think the F-15 operates off of carriers. Its mainly an army jet.
        -=Brian=-

Comment

you cant be serious... planes are such flimsy things. I mean, the air pressure, AIR PRESSURE, being out of sync above and below the wing is what makes it fly. If one side suddenly loses part of the wing, wouldnt that make the entire thing start flipping?

Comment

of course i dont really know what im talking about

Comment

Stix, youre talking about a very powerfull aspect of physics here. Think about all the things that shouldnt really happen that we see every day.

I can believe this story due to the way the body of the plane looks...take off that other wing and you have a rocket. If you posted the same story about a ..say... 747...i would call bull$...but hey, im glad the guy (and the other pilot) made it out ok.

So i believe it is possible to guide one in with one wing but that guy must have been fighting the stick like a pit bull the whole time.

Comment

Funny MD would say it was aerodynamically impossible.....I figure that's just the engineers performing CYA and feigning amazement when it so happens that one does fly on with one wing only :).

Games: GRAW, BF2142, Oblivion, FarCry, Empire At War, R6:RVS, KotOR, KotOR2, MW4: Mercs, FEAR (XP)

*Hiss* "Oh...crap!" *BLAM* "I'm down....MEDIC!!"

DirtyLude: "If we kill him and eat his heart, his magic will be ours."

Comment

I saw this once previously, was it here or on another forum..., and if i remember correctly it flew because the center fuselage is part of the wing and actually provides a lot of lift. While the pilot did have to land at a higher speed than normal to maintain the lift from the center fuselage it did fly and land safely. Or it could be that the F-15 has such a high thrust to weight ratio, which is in excess of 1 (in laymanís terms it means that the power of the engines is greater than the weight of the aircraft), that it just pushed itself through the air.
                  -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by KillerTarget View Post
                    I saw this once previously, was it here or on another forum...,
                    We've covered this before somewhere at TG... Maybe in the Falcon forum?
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That was freaking cool!
                      USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...