No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NaNoWriMo

I'm doing it this year. I've always wanted to. With the recent story I sent off to Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, I'm in a writing spirit.

For those who don't know it:
    What is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and -- when the thing is done -- the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2005, we had over 59,000 participants. Nearly 10,000 of them crossed the 50k finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

So, to recap:

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Sign-ups begin October 1, 2006. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

Still confused? Just visit the How NaNoWriMo Works page!
    I think I'll take whatever I produce and try to work it into a real story, but I don't think 50,000 words is enough for me.

While I work, I'll have my link on my sig (see below). Feel free to check in on me.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Re: NaNoWriMo

Very cool. Good luck man!
    Retired 6th DB

That sounds like fun....and brain draining...I think it is time for a good brain draining....

Oh and if you still feel like writing or want to just start out a bit I found this site somewhere a while back...

The site seems to be growing and the more people that get in can make for some fun new stories and poems as well as some NEW endings to old stories...

Play MySpace games? to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

And we're off!

Well, I've been up 20 minutes and I already wrote 806 words. Yay me. I'll finish the rest of my 3600 tonight, maybe go for 4000. I'm already feeling the itch to go back and edit what I wrote, but I'm going to hold off untill the end of NaNoWriMo.

Good luck to everyone else trying it out!

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

This reminds me of something similar for theatre: the 24 hour festival. Plays are written, cast, rehearsed, and put up in the span of 24 hours.

At least NaNoWriMo lets you sleep and stuff.
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Don't forget to name the hero of your story Root.

Have fun, and we'll be waiting to frag you on the Dystopia server once you're done writing.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed