History Channel Wants Gamers in a Shootout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Channel Wants Gamers in a Shootout

The History Channel is partnering with controversial game developer Kuma Reality Games to put online gamers into re-enactments of famous battles.

Cable television network The History Channel has entered into a partnership with controversial New York-based Kuma Reality Games to developer three online games in association with the second season of the History Channel series Shootout. The games will be released online simultaneously with specific upcoming Shootout episodes, and let players step in to three famous battles—Iwo Jime, the Battle of the Bulge, and the Tet Offensive—to relive history. The online games will be available for free, supported by advertisers—the games will offer sponsors both in-game ads and ad placement surrounding the games.

"We are really excited to extend the viewer experience for Shootout with this cutting-edge, companion video game from Kuma," said Dolores Gavin, Director, Historical Programming for The History Channel. "Season two of Shootout was developed with gamers in mind. We think that the unique perspective of the series combined with the immersive nature of the game will allow our viewers to experience history in a whole new way."

The Shootout series uses CGI animation sequences to analyze and re-enact famous gun battles, ranging from Wild West gunfight to military operations like Guadalcanal and recent action in the Iraqi city of Fallujah.

"We are helping TV take its place in today's exploding game marketplace," said Kuma CEO Keith Halper in a statement. "The ability to reach key consumers is greatly enhanced for advertisers by combining TV's reach and brand impact with games' immersive nature, relevance to key consumers and unique messaging capabilities."

Kuma Reality Games is widely known for creating modern-day war games with controversial content, with CEO Keith Halper admitting any public relations and media coverage—like what you're reading now—is free advertising, whether it's good or bad. Kuma developed the Kuma: War video game based on the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and laced play with actual battlefield images. Players download new missions each week, enabling players to take on the roles of U.S. troops fighting Al Qaeda and Taliban operatives. Sometimes painted as war profiteers cashing in on the actions of U.S. troops, Kuma has tried to manage its public image by launching a PR offensive, giving free game access to anyone with a .mil address, and supporting organizations which honor veterans and U.S. military casualties.

The second season of the History Channel's Shootout begins November 3, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

and p.s. for anyone that's interested here's a link to the official shootout website where the game can be downloaded for free.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=51863

enjoy

KG out

Re: History Channel Wants Gamers in a Shootout

That's cool! I wonder if they already have their actors for the game? Perhaps TG should volunteer?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

They don't really need supar 1337 pro haxors. Shootout is more of a play-by-play than a real time reenaciton, so the people playing will only have to walk from point to point and occasionally fire on cue. You don't need a ton of synchronization or anything.

Not the first time the History Channel has doen this, though. They reenacted famous battles using Rome: Total War too.

Comment

History Channel "Shootout" video game...

If you've ever watched the series on the History Channel, it's pretty good... looks like a free game is coming where you can watch then play the mission/battle of the day... Don't know how it will work or be, but hey...worth keeping a eye on it.

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=51863

2 videos there.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Re: History Channel "Shootout" video game...

Kuma games makes a war on terror FPS in which you DL missions, I think the history channel hired them to do this.

PS- There is already an episode.
          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Re: History Channel "Shootout" video game...

Best show on TV.

"For Some They Had Family Waiting For Them. For Others, The Only Family They Had Were The Men They Bled Beside. There Were No Bands, No Flags, No Honor Guards To Welcome Them Home. They Went To War Because Their Country Ordered Them To. But In The End They Didn't Fight For Their Country Or Their Flag, They Fought For Each Other."

- Joe Galloway
            "We Were Soldiers Once,... And Young"

Comment

Threads merged. Anyone played the game? I downloaded it, but haven't installed it...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hmm haven't tried the game but the show is really outstanding. I really like the way they set up each shootout. It's one of the few shows that will make me ignore whatever game I am playing to watch.
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X