Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roomates. Ugh.

*Rolls Eyes*

I come home from school (I have an hour commute one way every day for classes), it's 2 AM after a hard day of study sessions, tests and driving.

Walk through the kitchen and BAM:

Oh, and lets not forget to leave are dirty pots on the stove:

There is no way I'm going to graduate, enter the Corps, or get married. Instead I'm going to jail for life because I'm going to beat to death my roommate with his dirty dishes. Oh god when will this end?
    USAR

Re: Roomates. Ugh.

i had a roommate in college that did the same thing. heres how i solved it: the dishes were his, the pots and pans were his. i told him that if he didnt start cleaning his messes up, i was going to buy my own dishes and pots n pans and he wouldnt be allowed to use them and if he left a mess, i was going to pile his dirty stuff outside the door to his room. he continued anyway. i bought a cheap set of plastic dishes and a cheap set of pots and pans and put a padlock on one of the kitchen cabinets where i kept my stuff. the next mess he made i cleaned up after i got home from work late at night by piling it in front of his door. he never made a mess again. give it a shot. if you already own the dishes and such, just tell him he cant use them anymore if hes gonna make a mess.

Comment

Holy smokes! I'd break a couple over his head while singing "this is the way we wash the dishes, wash the dishes, WASH THE DISHES!"

Actually, when my sister moved in with me for a bit, she was no different. Except I did the unthinkable (messy, but worked); I made a mess too, did so until we had nothing clean to use (I ate out for a couple days after the dishes were used up). I told her if she ain't cleaning her mess, I ain't cleaning mine... and nobody will have anything to eat with. Was a long week... disgusting week... but it worked.
      -

Comment

What part of Illinois are you from squeak? Are you at school in Illinois?

I once roomed with three other guys. It was summer and I decided to leave for a couple of months. When I came back, there wasn't a clean dish in the house and there was mold growing on the counter top. Needless to say I moved out shortly afterwards.

If you're dealing with just one roommate, talk to him. Sometimes you can be surprised by just asking. I've also used the method of stacking up dirty dishes in front of their bedroom door... or better yet, on their bed. :D My reasoning was that I needed to be able cook myself and his dirty dishes were in the way. He was pissed at first, but eventually got over it and cleaned up his messes.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

My first housemate was the same way too. The worst was when he went on vacation and left several day's worth in the sink. I too boxed his nasty mess up (had to line the box with plastic... ick!) and put the lot in his room.

I can't say it corrected his behavior, but it sure did emphasize all the verbal frustration I had previously given him.

He ended up moving out soon after when he got married in a hurry.

Comment

Roomates are why I live alone. Last year I lived with a roommate and my brother and neither of them cleaned up after themselves. I was able to talk to my brother as we are family but the other guy is one of those people who is always right and there is zero room for argument. It certainly costs more but having only myself to blame if something is wrong pays for itself.
            Last edited by aculle01; 11-10-2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squeak View Post
              There is no way I'm going to graduate, enter the Corps, or get married. Instead I'm going to jail for life because I'm going to beat to death my roommate with his dirty dishes. Oh god when will this end?
              Haha, dude, I think you live in the building I did for part of my senior year. Is the AmKo right outside? Heh, if not, I know you're in a CPM building at least.

I had a roommate that did the exact same thing, dirty dishes all over. We finally got fed up with it and took all the dirty dishes and stacked them up under his bed. About a week later, he came down with chicken pox. No joke. I'm sure the two things are unrelated, but damn, it was funny. Took him a while to find the source of the smell, too. Another thing I did: I taped a bunch of pieces of paper together and walled over the door to his room while he was inside; written on his side of it was "DO YOUR DISHES." When he came crashing through, it was hilarious.

He was also one for leaving his dirty underwear on the toilet. It took a lot of work to break him of this habit. First I put pair after pair in a large baggie filled with water and stuck them in the freezer (this eventually backfired when I came home one day and he was boiling the bags in a pot on the stove to defrost). Then I taped pairs to his window under his blinds (his room faced the street) with a big sign that said "I leave my underwear on the toilet." When he started dating a girl, I waited until he went on a date and then hung a pair just inside the door for when he came home. Oh, and once when he left his pajamas on the toilet, I taped them to the ceiling of our place; we had a 15-foot vaulted ceiling at the time, hehe. We did so many other things, he took so long to train.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                First I put pair after pair in a large baggie filled with water and stuck them in the freezer (this eventually backfired when I came home one day and he was boiling the bags in a pot on the stove to defrost).
                I can't stop laughing.

Comment

I have three roommates right now, and they're friggin animals. Worse than what anyone else here has described, not to mention loud, obnoxious, and inconsiderate.

Comment

Hahahaha at least I'm not alone :)

@ asch: I live in Urbana, about 2 miles outside of UofI. However, I go to school at EIU (About an hours drive between the two schools). Short story: I get to stay here for free, but I pay for util and food and I "take care" of the house (yard/garbage etc) for the landlord (who is my future father in law). I have two roommates, both of which I've not met before living together. One is pretty responsible and takes care of his portion, the other is a... Jerk.
                    USAR

Comment

Trust me, you don't need roommates to have a mess like that. I live by myself and your place looks spotless compared to mine.
                      |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                      "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                      - Check me out on The Onion
                      - I'm on the local news!

Comment

You sure you didn't sneak into my apartment and take that picture?

Actually our sink is empty now and nice and clean, but we do have dishes piled up around the outside for one reason or another. As for roommates none of the other 3 guys that I live with right now are a problem, we had never met before moving in and it has worked out really well. When you move in with a roommate that you have never met before you either get the good ones that pick up after themselves and keep their stuff clean, and if you get really lucky they don't mind cleaning and they keep your stuff clean as well (I didn't get that lucky), or you get the slobs who don't do crap and leave messes all around the apartment.

A little advice for getting roommates, never move in with friends (gf are and exception) because you will find small little faults in your friendship grow a lot and you cannot stand them and it can kill good friendships. I have seen this multiple times, sometimes there are the lucky ones who become even better friends but this is rare.
                        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I won't even go into details about my last roomate. It actually pisses me off to think about it. I'll just leave it at: dirty dishes are nothing compared to it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
                            I won't even go into details about my last roomate. It actually pisses me off to think about it. I'll just leave it at: dirty dishes are nothing compared to it.
                            Thats seriously what I think of my last roomate who I mentioned above and the problems go way beyond dirty dishes. It was a nightmare. And on top of everything he was the worst TV clicker controller ever, hands down, no argument.

Comment

My 2nd year of college I lived in a 3 story townhouse with 5 other guys.. Could get messy at times (maybe an understatement?) But, we had one roommate that liked leaving his plate with a steak bone on the coffee table. We got fed up with it and put the plate in the middle of his bed. He was lazy and threw the plate an empty dresser drawer. About a month later he complained about the smell and threw the plate out.
                              Battlefield Admin() ()
                              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                              | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed